Standard Suspension

Standard Suspension

Postby Sambarhunter on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Is the Standard Suspension good enough for towing a 18 ft caravan or should i spend the extra for the EFS upgrade and lift.... I will be doing a fair bit of 4WD as well any info would be much appreciated
Happy Wife Happy Life
Sambarhunter

Re: Standard Suspension

Postby amalinze on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:23 pm

The standard suspension will be ok. For the first 10 seconds. Your better off fixing this problem BEFORE it starts. It wont be long before it does. Especially if your planning on towing for a fair distance.
METHANOL INJECTION ROCKS!
amalinze

Postby Sambarhunter on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks mate
Happy Wife Happy Life
Sambarhunter

Postby tritondan on Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:14 pm

hi - i have a 18ft caravan and on the first run i left my triton standard. i always planned on upgrading and after the first run i found out whyh - it just plain dangerous.

i was almost sea sick with all the bouncing and rolling.

i have now upgraded front struts and coils, rear shocks and put in air bags for the extra load.
Now its a decent handling vehicle that i can trust and rely on

changing the shocks after 7k they were STUFFED. i was advised by a mate to do a warranty claim, i said i didnt want that crap back on my truck and put in pedders grear
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Postby Notso on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Mate I have towed a 2 tonne van around Aus and then some, standard suspension, Hayman Reese load equalisers, no problems.

The thing just goes and goes.

Better shocks would improve the ride a bit, but I have done 80,000 now and still have stock standard suspension.
Notso

Postby Sambarhunter on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:35 am

What KG should I get ????150kg med or the 300kg heavy I do a fair bit off road stuff and will probably tow the caravan maybe 10 times per year but will be putting in a big trip next year up to QLD.... Also with the 300kg will it be to harsh ride for the kids in the back seat..
Happy Wife Happy Life
Sambarhunter

Postby Notso on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:45 am

Sambarhunter wrote:What KG should I get ????150kg med or the 300kg heavy I do a fair bit off road stuff and will probably tow the caravan maybe 10 times per year but will be putting in a big trip next year up to QLD.... Also with the 300kg will it be to harsh ride for the kids in the back seat..

If you are talking about the Hayman WDH the two models are 250kgs and 350kgs,

For the size van you are taling about you'd only need the 250kg model. It doesn't make the ride in the ute any harsher, it will reduce for and aft pitching
Notso

Postby snowman on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:21 pm

sambarhunter,

mate it is easy for us (me included) to say get new suspension, but not everyone has the best part of 2k spare. i know someone who has just done all shocks and struts only and it was about $1250 (ish) fitted using Bilsteins. his car is basically standard except for a fibreglass canopy. he is relatively happy with it but only early days....

in my opinion if money is really tight replace the rear shocks (only) with something really decent and see how it goes. i reckon this is the best bang for your buck upgrade if your car is effectively standard. Some guys have had flattening rear springs but towing a van should not place massive loads on the rear anyway.

From this point and with more money, the front end can do with stronger springs especially if you have added weight up there from bullbar, dual batts etc. however, don't do the front springs without also doing the front struts as they cant handle a stronger spring (barely handle the current ones). Then you ony have rear springs to change and as many of us do we want some lift so.....the rest is history.

towing aside, the standard suspension is dead set dangerous if not on a super smooth road and should not be certified in my opinion, as fast dirt roads and a few bumps will generally see you fighting the wheel and steering off towards the oncoming traffic. i think this is mainly due to left camber allowing the bouncing rear to drop away to the left gutter.

strong words but no better way to say them i am afraid. Sorry Mitsibishi - but your rear end setup sucks - fullstop. i hope this has been addressed in the new MN.

Adding weight to the rear actually assists the situation by settling it a bit. Try adding a couple of hundred kilos of weight to the tub and drive the same road, you will quickly see the difference.

so there you have it - again in my opinion you go rear shocks first if you are tight for $'s or the whole hog if that is your inclination and want. good luck with it and keep us posted.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sambarhunter on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks a lot snowman I have ordered the MN and have decided to do the whole lot suspension wise about $1750 all up which gives me a 40mm lift using EFS..... I have 3 kids and there safety comes first and going on what you have said its money well spent
Happy Wife Happy Life
Sambarhunter

Postby sjptools on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi all, as far as suspension is concerned I've gone past the 10,000 mark and my rear bounces around every time I go over a bump (keeps bouncing on the springs) a sure fire indicator of less than satisfactory shockers. So I bit the bullet and ordered as set of Lovells all round @ $490 for the whole lot.. from https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au. The distributors here in Melbourne are on drugs. they quoted me $149 ea for the rear and $165 ea for the front i.e. $628 total trade! I believe there are others here that are using them so I'm going with these, gotta be better than what I've got currently.. Incidently I do have a constant load of about 300kg of my work gear in the back so much for the 900 odd kg rating that Mitsubishi rant on about.....

Nick
sjptools

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:01 pm

What a small world!
I just ordered a set of Lovells from here for the same $490 delivered.

http://www.4wddirect.com.au/scart/html/597.html

They only have the rears in stock so I have to wait a few days for the fronts to come in before they get sent over to WA.
Got quoted full retail at WA Suspensions here in Perth, something like $790 but they mentioned the 'price butchers' on the internet and they were right. :D

The rears are easy to fit but the fronts need good quality spring clamps and I might get those fitted but the first quote of $180 would buy the good clamps.
:?
sierra

Postby jop on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:51 pm

I have lovells shocks all round - they are a great bit of kit. They were bought from suspension stuff.

I just had my efs 20mm lift front springs replaced as they were not rated for a front bar, if anyone is keen on them, ( and you don't have a front bar) give me a yell - yours for a box of carlton dry.
jop

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Lovells. From 4wdDirect. $490. Very happy with the shocks - just need to soften up the rear leaves for the light loads. Even so, the handling is totally transformed.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby sierra on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Lovells. From 4wdDirect. $490. Very happy with the shocks - just need to soften up the rear leaves for the light loads. Even so, the handling is totally transformed.

Thanks for the supplier, that was a good price!
I look forward to getting those springs under control.
:D
sierra

Postby NTBB on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:46 pm

jop wrote:I have lovells shocks all round - they are a great bit of kit. They were bought from suspension stuff.

I just had my efs 20mm lift front springs replaced as they were not rated for a front bar, if anyone is keen on them, ( and you don't have a front bar) give me a yell - yours for a box of carlton dry.

jop what did you replace them with?
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby jop on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Kings mate, will have pics in my shed soon
jop

Return to Suspension