Ride Heights

Re: Ride Heights

Postby snakesoup on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:32 pm

they are kind of hard to see if you don't know what your looking for, look at the area where the grey part of the shock meets the goldy colour plated metal spring seat " right at the bottom of the spring ", if you look closely at that area you will be able to see if you have them or not, and I have a sneaky suspicion that you will have them and that they will have to be removed, ultimate will a have a solution for you though, but please let us know how u go ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby triton_guru on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Has anyone measured from the geound tk the top of guard but on full down travel so car jacked up? I believe mine is 1238mm from ground to top of guard on full droop
triton_guru

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:11 am

triton_guru wrote:Has anyone measured from the geound tk the top of guard but on full down travel so car jacked up? I believe mine is 1238mm from ground to top of guard on full droop

Any measurement to ground will get variations due to tyre diameter
Are you running 35" these days?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby triton_guru on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:06 am

Na mate i kept it on 33s they were a more sensible choice for what i use my car for. A friend of mjne showed me on facebook the nber of tritons running 35s lol scary thought
triton_guru

Postby OffRoadDave on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:22 am

snakesoup wrote:they are kind of hard to see if you don't know what your looking for, look at the area where the grey part of the shock meets the goldy colour plated metal spring seat " right at the bottom of the spring ", if you look closely at that area you will be able to see if you have them or not, and I have a sneaky suspicion that you will have them and that they will have to be removed, ultimate will a have a solution for you though, but please let us know how u go ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just an update to the height issue I had. Ultimate sent down another pair of struts with the next spring weight down which I've swapped out for the 1st set and it's now sitting at about 580 mm which is great.

It seems my Triton is a bit of a fringe case, with the gear on the front it should have had the heavier springs but Brendan suspects that the weight on the rear may actually be lifting the front a little which lead to the high riding front, thanks to Brendan for sorting out the problem, much appreciated. Highly recommended! :D

Now to sort out the tail shaft vibe which I fully expected to happen. :evil:
OffRoadDave

Postby viking shippy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:22 pm

My recommendation for your tail shaft vibe....it only happens in first gear..so get out of the city...
viking shippy

Postby OffRoadDave on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Wish it was that easy, I can live with the torque shudder taking off, I'm struggling to live with the vibes I'm feeling at anything above 80 clicks. I've tried packing the transfer up/down, done the centre bearing flip each way and I've got the torque whip to a minimum but the out of balance feeling at speed remains.

Only thing left is to pull the wedges off the leaf packs and put some pinion angle back in to the rear uni, but that will have to wait till I have some time.
OffRoadDave

Postby viking shippy on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:59 am

I fortunately I only have a bit of vibe taking off...nothing at speed...ml 07..2" ultimate lift
viking shippy

Postby woodro_sle on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:48 am

Front left 550 - Right 565
Rear left 590 - Right 600

I have a 07 ML 3.2 with ARB front and rear bars with winch and side steps. It has OME front shocks, Dobinson frt springs, OME rear leafs and shocks. It just clicked over 150,000km and the left side is sagging, I think the rear leafs need resetting.
woodro_sle

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:53 am

Hey guys

Are many running fronts at 590ish with no dramas and no supporting mods?

Or will I need to invest in uca and diff drops?

Cheers
mrtuaniiex

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:53 pm

mrtuaniiex wrote:Hey guys

Are many running fronts at 590ish with no dramas and no supporting mods?

Or will I need to invest in uca and diff drops?

Cheers

Have a look at the droop stop and control arm. With my measuring you would be riding on the droop stops.
L200Shogun

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:33 pm

At 590 you'll be near the limit but should not have any problems.

I ran mine at 585-590.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=505&p=284820#p284820
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:49 pm

I haven't got them fitted up yet, just ordered extra hd springs from ultimate as my hd ones are on 560 with a 10mm cool seat spacer already in

Brendan said I would expect anywhere from 580 to 590 with these new coils

He did recommend getting uca and diff drop but was wondering if anyone sitting at that height are having issues

When I first installed suspension I was sitting on full droop of 610-615
mrtuaniiex

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Click to view larger picture

This is too high imho. You want at least a 10mm gap between droop stop and control arm.
L200Shogun

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 pm

I'll pop in the new coils and see how I go

I don't do any serious off road, mainly a beach pig

My rigs never even seen mud or anything just sand and salt lol

I do want to try squeeze in 285/75/16 though

I've read people do it and half of them hate it but I do like the look of a big tyre

Haven't looked into too much detail but hope it works on 16x8 +25 rim

Mud flaps are already trimmed
mrtuaniiex

Postby moses on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Its now done 15 thousand since the lift and my fronts are back to pre lift height... might have to go back to TJM and see what the go is..Click to view larger picture
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Probz on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:38 am

Ok so i'm preparing for the well deserved flaming coming my way but i thought I will let others know so they can make their own choices.

I was tossing up between Dobinsons through a 3rd party supplier or Ultimate for my 2" lift on the Triton. Money is a bit tight at the moment so I decided Dobinsons because they were $500 cheaper and that made getting the purchase across the line a few months sooner, but by the time this drags out that may dissolve. Also on Ultimates behalf their pre sales service was faultless and was through no fault of theirs I went the other way.

Currently asking questions of supplier and dobinsons, so far 2 emails and 4 days and no response from Dobinsons even though im only asking for specs so i can measure up and see whats going on, supplier is being pretty helpful so i wont name until resolved.

The good side other than being way to low in the front and coils being closer together than stock, is the car rides well and absolutely no shudder. The bad I'm ruled out of 4wding until resolved because I'm scared of coil bind.

So the specifics,

Only accessories on car are steel side steps, snorkel and bash plates. I went for 2" nitro comfort lift front and rear as I use the car to commute and weekend play. 

Pre lift, Post lift

FR- 545, 540
FL-540, 540
RR-570, 618
RL-571, 615

Pre
Springs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Probz

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 am

Unless you've posted your figures back to front, you've ended up lowering your suspension.

You won't get coil bindind, as the individual turns don't fit inside each other. Maybe coil clashing.

Don't forget that the actual wheel travel is much greater than the point where the strut connects.

Moses; a few mmm settling would be expected but sounds like you've copped dodgy springs.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Probz on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:19 am

Unfortunately not back to front I've effectively lowered it.
Thats what im thinking because unloaded side by side the new kit was 20mm longer. Sorry clashing might have been better terminology, my concern was they may clash before the it hits the bump stop.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Probz

Postby Daisan on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Just been reading this thread with interest. Sorry if this is an old thread.
I purchased a new MQ GLS back in May. It is standard suspension for now.
It is used primarily for work, so loaded up with ladders and tools.
I took the tub off and had a norweld canopy and tray fitted 400 kg in weight.
My weights are
front axel - 1060 kg
rear axel - 1660 kg
total = 2720 kg
GVM for this vehicle is 2900 kg

I just checked the height from wheel to arch 220mm all round, compared to others on here that seems low.
I am getting dobinsons suspension in a couple of weeks 400kg constant on rears.

Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone.

David

I still have bullbar, winch, battery, fridge and fridge slide to fit, which i have to keep under 180 kg
Daisan

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:30 pm

You might want to re-read the thread with a little more interest, particularly in relation to how to take ride height measurements.

As for your effective load, well, a 400kg tray and canopy isn't exactly a lightweight.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Last edited by L200Shogun on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L200Shogun

Postby Daisan on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks NowForThe5th

I re read with more interest and after my blonde moment here are the measurements

Front - 540 mm
Rear - 560 mm

Who else had total weight close to GVM ?

David
Daisan

Postby Probz on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Just an update on mine, Martin at Doninsons has gone out of his way to sort out my front end. Also on another note i'm not sure if its been posted already but standard ride heights from factory can be found here http://myrta.com/rvd/searchRVD.do?submitValue=start
Probz

Postby moses on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:57 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Unless you've posted your figures back to front, you've ended up lowering your suspension.

You won't get coil bindind, as the individual turns don't fit inside each other. Maybe coil clashing.

Don't forget that the actual wheel travel is much greater than the point where the strut connects.

Moses; a few mmm settling would be expected but sounds like you've copped dodgy springs.
Didnt get much love back from TJM when queried, just a quick tape measure and some mumblings about just in spec but they will talk to head office... and then nothing.

So the front struts are probably going to come out and be replaced with monster rides adjustables.

I don't have the time or energy to stuff around fighting crap like this so they'll probably cop a spray on social media (as most companies seem to take their social media presence seriously) and i wont use them again.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
moses
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension