Random Suspension Questions

Re: lift kit or just bigger tyres?

Postby Naff on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:44 pm

New suspension will offer you more than just lift.. on and off road.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aquagen on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Lift won't lift the diff, only tyres will. Lift won't give traction. Personally I'd change tyres, put my accessories on then sort the suspension to suit.
I think 4wd action did a compare not that long ago between tyres, suspension and lockers for off-roading and advancing up a track. Honestly can't remember what won
aquagen

Postby bodia on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Tyres only and 265/70/16 or 275/70/16 to maintain legal. If you go tyres and a 50mm lift and they start enforcing NCOP like in some states you will be non compliant. Tyres and 25mm lift is totally compliant though and what I am surprised more aren't going for
bodia

Postby lachy773 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks guys. I think maybe ill just go up a tyre size for now. Save the money! :)
lachy773

Postby Duck on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Suspension every day of the week. I think it's 2inch sus & 1inc tyre. Its about keeping the tyres on the ground :)
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby bodia on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:50 pm

2 inch on tyres but 2 inch lifted all together. 2 inch tyres lift you 1" so to comply with ncop you can only lift 1" if you do the tyres
bodia

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Moved in here so it's together with the other 300 times it's been asked.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Graeme1957 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:48 am

Getting an "Anarchy Platinum" suspension upgrade installed (essentially it is "Tough Dog" re-badged) during the next couple of weeks.
Very happy with the price - will let you know how it behaves...
G
MY15 MN GLX TRITON Diesel Dual cab with a few bits and a never ending list.

"If that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing.
Let's break out the booze and have a ball."
Graeme1957
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:19 am

bodia wrote:2 inch on tyres but 2 inch lifted all together. 2 inch tyres lift you 1" so to comply with ncop you can only lift 1" if you do the tyres

I believe in WA it is 2" total so 1' tyres and 1" suspension.
Recent time with Google suggests some other states are 1" from tyres and 2" from suspension.
Yours States Dept of Transport website will have the answer you seek.
L200Shogun

Postby diver albie on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:52 pm

L200Shogun wrote:
bodia wrote:2 inch on tyres but 2 inch lifted all together. 2 inch tyres lift you 1" so to comply with ncop you can only lift 1" if you do the tyres

Recent time with Google suggests some other states are 1" from tyres and 2" from suspension.

I was wondering on this myself over the Christmas break. I've got a 2"Bilstein & Dobinson lift and will be needing new tryes in the not distance future and was going to upgrade from245/65/17 to 265/65 or70/17. So technically I'd run foul of the law here. Something to think more on.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:20 pm

diver albie wrote:
L200Shogun wrote:

I was wondering on this myself over the Christmas break. I've got a 2"Bilstein & Dobinson lift and will be needing new tryes in the not distance future and was going to upgrade from245/65/17 to 265/65 or70/17. So technically I'd run foul of the law here. Something to think more on.

I've got 265/75/16's and 2" lift, boyz in blue don't even give it a second look, my best friend has 2 daughters in the force, the only comment I've had from them is "what's next" :lol:
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:29 pm

explorer.dave wrote:...snip..

I've got 265/75/16's and 2" lift, boyz in blue don't even give it a second look, my best friend has 2 daughters in the force, the only comment I've had from them is "what's next" :lol:

A Western Australian guy on a Perth Triton page had 265/75/16 tyres and suspension. His total lift was 54mm. He is currently trying to swap the tyres for smaller. He got a defect sticker. The fact that the tyres are bigger than 50mm over standard didn't seem to be the problem. Just that his total lift was over 50mm.
To make his 54mm lift legal he needed to do expensive lane change test.
L200Shogun

Postby triton_guru on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Got a question not sure if its been covered yet or not. Why is it that we have 1 shock going forwards and another going backwards on the rear diff? Ive got the diffs out atm so wondered whether it was worth changing or not really? And what was the purpose of it?
triton_guru

Postby buffhunt on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm

triton_guru wrote:Got a question not sure if its been covered yet or not. Why is it that we have 1 shock going forwards and another going backwards on the rear diff? Ive got the diffs out atm so wondered whether it was worth changing or not really? And what was the purpose of it?

Good question. I assumed it was to do with something along the lines of opposite forces working to cancel each other out.
Cheers,
buffhunt

The worst bit about growing old is remembering your youth! :shock:
buffhunt
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:04 pm

How different is the suspension on the MQ vs say the ML? I test drove a MQ and it felt nothing like the ML, much more car like...
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby triton_guru on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:16 pm

I believe it just has longer leaf springs so the shackles are further back to help allow for load carrying capability but still runs the shocks one front one back
triton_guru

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:02 pm

The rear springs are longer in both front mount and rear making it more supple
The front has some slight tweaks
The vehicle balance is also different with a lighter engine
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby MilkmanDan on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 am

Easy question what's the assembly part of the front struts? Is that just springs in and ready to bolt in?
MilkmanDan

Postby Kuff on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:26 am

So chaps. Just about time to upgrade the suspension. I've narrowed my choices down the Dobinsons MRR or the Monster Rides. Both about the same price once you add the greasable shackles and pins onto the dobinsons so you're comparing apples with apples.

I'm in Perth so the Monster Rides would be coming out to me from over East (might be a problem if I have a warranty issue) whereas Dobinsons have an agent here in Perth.

So question is, what everyones opinions, which is better? Everyone I have spoken to that have either fitted are very happy with their product but that doesn't help chosing between the two.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:39 am

l can only comment on the Dobinson's, rides very good and handling now is exceptional compared to the shitty OEM sus, I had Ultimate4WD (forum sponsors) fit this up and very happy with the service, also join their VIP club and get a 10% discount.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby diver albie on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Agree with Dave, I had Malga Suspension install Dobinsons and the difference is amazing far better ride and handling
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby Kuff on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:09 pm

explorer.dave wrote:l can only comment on the Dobinson's, rides very good and handling now is exceptional compared to the shitty OEM sus, I had Ultimate4WD (forum sponsors) fit this up and very happy with the service, also join their VIP club and get a 10% discount.

diver albie wrote:Agree with Dave, I had Malga Suspension install Dobinsons and the difference is amazing far better ride and handling

Thanks gents but I still ended up going with the Monster Rides kit. What sold it for me was the difference in travel. If I ever decide to go with a diff drop kit I think the monster kit will be better suited, not that I'm an expert though.

Ordered it on Friday, can't wait for it to get here and to get it fitted.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby ICKIS on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:36 am

lachy773 wrote:Hi guys im wondering if a 2 inch lift kit is essential for moderate offroading or is buying bigger tyres good enough to add a little extra clearance.. Thanks fellas/ladies

I believe in qld its a total of 4 inches lift with combi of tyres and suspension...
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 pm

MilkmanDan wrote:Easy question what's the assembly part of the front struts? Is that just springs in and ready to bolt in?

Ultimate, further to my question above. Reading that the 2" lift can and most likely cause issue with tailshaft vibrations do you include a vibration solution in the kit or is that up to the buyer to sort out post install?

If not and doing some thinking the lift isn't absolutely necessary for my needs (more so a bonus really) do you do a kit that is standard height?
MilkmanDan

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:13 am

MilkmanDan wrote:
MilkmanDan wrote:Easy question what's the assembly part of the front struts? Is that just springs in and ready to bolt in?

Ultimate, further to my question above. Reading that the 2" lift can and most likely cause issue with tailshaft vibrations do you include a vibration solution in the kit or is that up to the buyer to sort out post install?

If not and doing some thinking the lift isn't absolutely necessary for my needs (more so a bonus really) do you do a kit that is standard height?

Best off sending ultimate a PM or call them directly. He may not see this post for a while if at all.
biggibbo

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension