Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby emjayar on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:36 pm

I have bought my second triton and just took it on face value from the seller saying that it has been lifted. I'm unsure now... For a couple of reasons. The rear springs squeak like crazy (common triton thing), the rear springs are flat from hangar to axle; and I measured my eyebrow heights at:

FP 575mm, RP 575mm, FD 585mm, RD 560mm.

That being said, it does have OME shocks installed. So I'm assuming that is what it had done.

Also worth noting it has a steel canopy, bull bar and winch with plasma rope.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

MQ lift with stock shocks

Postby thehosie on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi all, I'm wanting to do a little 30mm lift on my new mq. Can't afford a full lift kit atm so would there be any issues using some king springs 30mm lifted coils/leafs with the original shocks?
thehosie

Postby Daisan on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:04 am

Hi All,
After advise regarding suspension.
I own a 2017 MQ, about 6 weeks ago upgraded the suspension to a kit from Dobinsons 400kg constant weight rear plus shocks and other gear. I carry a full weight and I am right on my GVM of 2900kg.
After it was fitted the new rear springs were just about flat, was told by mechanic that dobinson said that was standard.
Well have waited 6 weeks to allow vehicle to settle.
I have attached photo to show how flat the spring is.
Is this right?
http://imghostr.net/image/AFZg
Daisan

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 am

Doesn't look good at all, l have Dobinson kit with 350kg constant weight, can't put up a photo ATM but I think you would be shocked at the difference. I am only carrying approx. 100kg in the back though and alloy tray.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Thought dobinsons did a 350kg or 550kg+ kit... might want to check what they actually put in?
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Daisan on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm

Went through local dobinson dealer, this is the biggest kit Dobinson do, 400 + kg to GVM.
Went to dealer again today and they said it doesn't look right, they took pictures so will wait and see.
Daisan

Lifting Triton MN 2015 Help

Postby coopershane on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:32 am

Hi All,

I have a Triton MN 2015 with a Toughdog 1" lift. I want to lift a further 2" if possible and just want to know what is required to do this.

I have looked at body lifts but have an Xrox Bull bar and don't want the Gap between the Bull bar and front Bar.

What have people done to Achieve this?

Any help would be great.
coopershane

Postby hughesadg89 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 am

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on the forum. I have done a lot of reading through the forum and you guys have a wealth of knowledge and solved the majoroty of my problems already :). One question though regards suspension.

I have a stock standard 2011 mn Triton dual cab 2wd with 149k on the clock. When I rock the vehicle from side to side when it's stationary or even when I get in and out of the vehicle it squeaks a lot. Sounds like it's coming from the leaf springs. Do I need to replace my bushes?
hughesadg89

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:17 am

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Lifting Triton MN 2015 Help

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:25 pm

coopershane wrote:Hi All,

I have a Triton MN 2015 with a Toughdog 1" lift. I want to lift a further 2" if possible and just want to know what is required to do this.

I have looked at body lifts but have an Xrox Bull bar and don't want the Gap between the Bull bar and front Bar.

What have people done to Achieve this?

Any help would be great.

You can want lots of things. A center rim to flare of 570 to 580mm (eyebrow), is all standard components will allow. People do go higher but have very little suspension travel or ride on droop stops. Ok for the mall not so for off road. A diff drop ($2000+ fitting $1000?) allows about 600mm.

Click to view larger picture
L200Shogun

Postby Dizzygilespie322 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi all

Just chasing some ideas to sort an issue. Put in a 2" ultimate suspension lift struts shocks and leafs. All went in fine. Done my 1000km and check everything. Expected shudder is there but in the process of getting a tailshaft spacer and wedges. My question is what is the clucking sound from the front end? Get it when turning to full lock. Any ideas what to look at or how to sort it. Cheers
Dizzygilespie322

Postby ag9111 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Upper control arm bolts will be loose. 2×19mm spanners will fix that
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dizzygilespie322 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Cheers I'll check em again.
Dizzygilespie322

Postby Jak3rb on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Hey guys! Been looking through alot of the threads but can't seem to find an answer.
I was just looking in to upgrading my suspension going with the ultimate kit just has such a good wrap on here i thought id give it a go! But i know the only issuse is the dreaded tail shaft wobble. I know there is a few things you can do to minimize it but but do any of them actually get rid of the issue? The only thing i can find that people say fully gets rid of it is the single peice tail shaft even then there isn't alot of info. But in putting in a single peice tail shaft do i risk damaging the gearbox or diff? Has anyone installed the single peice tail shaft? If so have you come across any issues with it?
Sorry for the bit of a ramble on I've just searched for a few days now and can't seem to really find an answer.
Ive got the my15 mn glx povo pack manual!
Just for reference. Thanks for any help guys!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Jak3rb

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:36 am

Jak3rb wrote: I know there is a few things you can do to minimize it but but do any of them actually get rid of the issue?

It's been said a hundred times, but every vehicle is different. You just have to go through the process of wedges, centre bearing rotate, tailshaft spacer, gearbox spacers, centre bearing drop and if none of that works then a single piece tailshaft. For most people the first three work, or well enough to minimise the issue to a bearable level. On mine there was minor vibration on takeoff when empty, but if I put 150kg in the back it disappeared completely.

The only thing i can find that people say fully gets rid of it is the single peice tail shaft even then there isn't alot of info. But in putting in a single peice tail shaft do i risk damaging the gearbox or diff? Has anyone installed the single peice tail shaft? If so have you come across any issues with it?

Quite a few have done it and recorded their experience here. One example. AFAIK it is a 100% cure but only if your lift is around 50mm. Above that there is the risk of the tailshaft hitting the cross member (which is why Mitsubishi used the two piece design in the first place).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Jak3rb on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:03 pm

Oh ok kinda new to this forum thing! Must not have been searching for with the right words!
But thanks for the help! Guess its trial and error as you said each car is diffrent!
But i think im sold on the sigle peice tho as i need the reliability and beaing almost 1000kms away from most shops makes it hard to just order or by parts to try!
Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Jak3rb

Postby Danevs12345 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Right, as everyone always says, I have tried searching but didn't find exactly what I was after! I have a 2007 triton single cab 4x4. Recently purchased, it's been lifted with an iron man kit and rides horribly (old kit)! It will spend around 50% of its time carrying roughly 1000kg (slide on camper and small motorcycle off the towbar). I'm on a tight budget, and don't really want a lift. I've noticed that people around my area are selling brand new complete suspension kits from an mq, I think they're the same across all the models? Would it be wise (and cost effective!) to buy complete new suspension (standard mitsi, for only $100!) and add air bags ($500)? In people's experience would that suit my needs? Thanks in advance, Dan
Danevs12345

Postby Danevs12345 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:23 pm

To clarify, people are getting their new mq's lifted and selling the brand new standard suspension for $100.
Danevs12345

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Danevs12345 wrote:Right, as everyone always says, I have tried searching but didn't find exactly what I was after! I have a 2007 triton single cab 4x4. Recently purchased, it's been lifted with an iron man kit and rides horribly (old kit)! It will spend around 50% of its time carrying roughly 1000kg (slide on camper and small motorcycle off the towbar). I'm on a tight budget, and don't really want a lift. I've noticed that people around my area are selling brand new complete suspension kits from an mq, I think they're the same across all the models? Would it be wise (and cost effective!) to buy complete new suspension (standard mitsi, for only $100!) and add air bags ($500)? In people's experience would that suit my needs? Thanks in advance, Dan

No. MQ struts are slightly different and have different valving but I believe fit. The leaf springs are different length or width but can be made to fit

Carrying near max GVM I would at least contact Ultimate Suspension about a custom built leaf pack. At the very least you get good advice on what you need including if air bags are good for you,
L200Shogun

Postby Danevs12345 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks L200, you've probably just saved me a 2.5 hour drive to pick up the mq suspension! I know ultimate are definitely the guys to speak to about triton suspension, just don't want to muck them around as my budget is tight and I'm not sure I can afford a kit from them. I need a complete suspension kit, pretty sure my current shocks are filled with sponge!
Danevs12345

Postby Joel on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:50 pm

If carrying that much weight regularly id be looking into fish plating the chassis before something bends or breaks especially if installing airbags
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby Danevs12345 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm going to plate the suspension around the dog leg and strengthen the tray mounts. I'm a panel beater and seen where the weak points are on these often enough! Not too bad on the single cabs, pretty scary on duals though!
Danevs12345

Postby mrtuaniiex on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Hey team, haven’t been on the forums in a while but it’s time to get new suspension.

A bit of background on my current set up:

Ultimate HD fronts and sitting at 550mm and ultimate comfort rainsed 600mm rears

So friends chipped in on my Christmas present so got karrman diff drop so looking at new loft to match

Has much people run the dobinson adjustable mrr shocks? Used the search button and reading around but couldn’t find much on the mrr

I also read that ultimate do custom order 3.5inch struts

Thanks
mrtuaniiex

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:45 pm

I would buy from Ultimate suspension.
Some people rate Dobinsons MRR highly others rate it as junk. Not sure if they fixed the problem but MRR were known for leaky seals one person I know had 3 sets in a year.

Also Superior Engineering sells some interesting suspension.
L200Shogun

Postby moses on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:51 pm

mrtuaniiex wrote:Hey team, haven’t been on the forums in a while but it’s time to get new suspension.

A bit of background on my current set up:

Ultimate HD fronts and sitting at 550mm and ultimate comfort rainsed 600mm rears

So friends chipped in on my Christmas present so got karrman diff drop so looking at new loft to match

Has much people run the dobinson adjustable mrr shocks? Used the search button and reading around but couldn’t find much on the mrr

I also read that ultimate do custom order 3.5inch struts

Thanks

Thought about monster rides?
moses
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension