Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby Speedy70 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

I installed a 2" ultimate suspension kit in my MY15 GLX yesterday. I've got a slight shudder on take off but not bad enough to worry me at the moment. Ultimate sell a tail shaft spacer to fix the issue which I will look into if the shudder is still there after the new suspension settles in. They also list a standard height suspension upgrade on their website. The difference in ride and handling is definitely worth the money IMHO.
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kuff on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm

So retard question here....my Dobinsons leaf springs arrived today, which is the front side?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :?:
Click to view larger picture

Oh, don't mind the top leaf, I know that has to come off ;)
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Duggan84 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:33 am

Hi guys,

Fit a 2" dobinson kit to my vehicle on the weekend. Had to removed the bump stops off the bottom of the front upper control arm is this normal practice.

Cheers
Duggan84

Postby Duggan84 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:34 am

Kuff wrote:So retard question here....my Dobinsons leaf springs arrived today, which is the front side?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :?:

Oh, don't mind the top leaf, I know that has to come off ;)

Big eye to the front, little to the back
Duggan84

Postby Kuff on Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Duggan84 wrote:
Kuff wrote: stuff....

Big eye to the front, little to the back

Cheers mate.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Taking the bump stops off to help put it together is normal (since it's easier) but they need to go back on. If you don't have room for them then you have a problem.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Can't find it? Ask here FIRST, before you start a new th

Postby godzilla_rising on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:50 pm

Since fitting my 2" lift a few years back, my car has always had a certain amount of "rake" (for the F1 fans you know what I'm talking about, for everyone else it's a nose down attitude with the rear being higher).

I understand that springs will settle, but they have settled to give me an effective 1" (if that) of lift instead of the 2 I was hoping for.

Now that my car is up on jacks, everything looks nice and horizontal, as I feel it should have been from the start. Is it just a case of new springs/shocks?

Here's the height/look I feel it should be...

Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:45 pm

They're designed to have a slight nose down attitude. Helps with the aerodynamics and handling and, clearly, the rear will drop more under load which brings it back to level.

If you started at level, as soon as you put something in the back you'd get a nose up attitude and that looks dorky.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Random Suspension Questions

Postby godzilla_rising on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks mate!

It's just a shame, I just look at it and think that it's too nose down and would be good to have that little bit extra. Maybe try and work it to be halfway to where it is horizontal and where it is now.

It's just a little bit
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby motoz on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:45 pm

godzilla_rising wrote:Thanks mate!

It's just a shame, I just look at it and think that it's too nose down and would be good to have that little bit extra. Maybe try and work it to be halfway to where it is horizontal and where it is now.

It's just a little bit

Adjustable struts are the go. As your springs sag (they all do) just add a bit more preload.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:22 pm

just load the tub up with a couple of hundred kg's, that should level it ;)

wont help the fuel economy though
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Too much bounce

Postby woodsy31 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello all,

Firstly what a great website.

I currently own a 2015 Triton dual cab MN Diesel 5 speed manual, ARB canopy, ARB bull bar with winch, ARB tradesman racks, Outback drawers in the tub, ARB rear step and running 265/75/15 AT tyres. The ute is awesome, goes everywhere I want to go but put my 19 foot dual axle Coromal caravan weighing 1560 and 120kg on the tow ball, I get some pretty wicked bounce. So much so it can be unbearable when black top gets a bit rough. I do use a weight distribution system as well. The leaf springs has the Ironman helper springs added as well although Im not sure how much they actually do. I have upgraded the shockies to 41mm foam cell which has made a slight improvement but no where as comfortable as the old Pajero. Do I need to upgrade the leaf springs or springs or use air bags or any other ideas?? Thanks for any ideas that may come forward. Ill add some picks of the bewt ute as soon as I work out how to add them ha ha.
woodsy31

Postby metalheadperth on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:35 am

Hi Guys,

Im very much a noobie here to this Forum, but already have found heaps of wicked information !! Im trying to find out information around how to settle down the steering wheel vibration. I have just recently brought a 2011 MN GLXR & Love it to bits. Its a very Capable 4x4! But just normal driving, with the steering, i can feel every bump, and imperfection on the road. Just wandering if anyone else has had this problem & what they did to resolve? Install a Steering Damper?

Thanks Steve.
metalheadperth

Postby ag9111 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Lower the tyre pressures to around 36psi.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 pm

ag9111 wrote:Lower the tyre pressures to around 36psi.

And check the front shocks for wear.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Curley_Rabbit on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:52 am

hi all just like to get some thoughts on the opposite lock suspension kit im looking at upgrading my stock suspension on my 2014 mn triton in the near future and would like to get a bit of feedback from opposite locks suspension if possible good or bad thanks
Curley_Rabbit

Postby Kuff on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Curley_Rabbit wrote:hi all just like to get some thoughts on the opposite lock suspension kit im looking at upgrading my stock suspension on my 2014 mn triton in the near future and would like to get a bit of feedback from opposite locks suspension if possible good or bad thanks

I don't know anything about the OL suspension but you'll find that most guys will recommend Ultimate suspension, I've only heard good things about them, they're a forum sponsor so look them up in that section. I personally went for our other sponsor Monster Rides as I wanted an adjustable strut and I am very happy with them. I didn't pick MR just because of them being a sponsor but after a lot of research and some good recommendations.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby seanlush on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi, I have had a search on the forum about a 'clunk' noise that people get with regard to their suspension, and was just wondering if anyone who has had this could comment below. I have just had my mn 2010 lifted 2 inches and ever since, most times that I either run over a speed hump (at a faster than snail pace) or when I turn quite tightly I have a clunk which happens at the front of my vehicle. Its only just been lifted and done it ever since, any idea what it could be?
seanlush

Postby ag9111 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:50 pm

If you can narrow it down to one particular side then it is most likely one of the bolts holding the upper control arms on.
I got nearly a full turn on all 4 of mine.
It could also be the bash plates not being put on properly. Front should be over the back where they meet in the middle.
Last edited by ag9111 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby deermaster on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:10 am

Mine has been driving me crazy of late. It squeaks and groans like an old man. It sounds like the front at times and then the rear. I squirted CRC around front coils and on top of them and it quietened it down for a while and then it came back so must be dust or something or what does everyone else think? The rear still squeaks too even though it has grease nipples? I think next I will pressure hose all around all springs and front end and see what happens as can't think of anything else to try other than drop it into a local garage and let them work it out?
deermaster

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 pm

It could be squeaking bushes as well I imagine? When I can replicate a noise on the ground (often you can't) I just keep spraying things one at a time until the noise stops and then go back and add extra to whatever made it go quiet.

Or I turn the music up, which of late seems to be my default fix for nearly everything.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ag9111 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:45 pm

When mine squeaks badly I stick the rears up on jacks then remove the rear wheels. This allows the spring pack to open up in different areas. Get stuck into the spring pack with a high pressure washer. drop it back onto the wheels and align the springs with a hammer. Use high pressure washer again. Drive it for a couple of days to dry the spring pack out.
Jack rear up again and lube with Lanolin. drop onto wheels and more Lanolin where you can get it in.
Usually solves my squeaking issues

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:26 pm

another possibility deer master, if it is coming from the front as well is the control arm bushes could be making some noise if the have racked up some ks , I know they did on my old mk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby deermaster on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:28 pm

snakesoup wrote:another possibility deer master, if it is coming from the front as well is the control arm bushes could be making some noise if the have racked up some ks , I know they did on my old mk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its only done 112000Ks so far and had new suspension fitted a few years ago. Got me buggered, I will try washing with a guerny and bashing the spring pack into line tomorrow if I get time. :D
deermaster

Postby seanlush on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:22 am

so I went back to the suspension joint yesterday and they found that there was a loose ball joint nut and asked if I had any other work done on the car recently. considering the noise literally came when i drove out of the shop id say it was them.. annoying!
seanlush

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension