Random Suspension Questions

Re: Random Suspension Questions

Postby braydenc on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Headley wrote:https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/superior-56-inch-lift-kit-ml-triton-26209

Would this be street legal?

and that's a big no on getting it engineered as well.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby Headley on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:30 pm

What about getting the vehicle registered as an ICV?

Ahh never mind.
Headley

Postby Headley on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 am

One other question, my MN is nearly 50k KM's old. When "should" i start looking at a new suspension system/when does the OEM system start getting a bit long in the tooth?

And another question, if i swap in a new system (springs, shocks, bushes and bars etc), would i notice a big difference on the highway?
Headley

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 am

Yes in would be an improvement. Stock suspension is pretty ordinary some replace at very low km others leave it there for ever.
L200Shogun

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am

Headley wrote:One other question, my MN is nearly 50k KM's old. When "should" i start looking at a new suspension system/when does the OEM system start getting a bit long in the tooth?

And another question, if i swap in a new system (springs, shocks, bushes and bars etc), would i notice a big difference on the highway?

Mine was clapped out long before then!

I fitted an Ultimate Suspension kit, and it is miles better on the freeway, local streets and off-road.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Headley on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Oh really? Hmm i will have to check it out. Why Ultimate and not somewhere/one else?
Headley

Postby bdrjnr on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 pm

I have the springs front and back but with bilsteins shocks . It's great stuff. But also the service is awesome.. Brendon especially.

I think they know triton well.. obviously there are other brands which I am sure they are just as good but I would recommend.. I threw my tough dog out after a few months..

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
bdrjnr

Postby Nixy99 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi does anyone know if its possible putting different brand rear shocks into a 2007 ml triton. My passenger side rear shock is stuffed, i have an ironman 50mm lift and was wondering if putting a different brand shock in like dobinsons or ultimate would be possible or could effect performance.
Nixy99

Postby ultimate on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 am

PM sent. You will not have any issues fitting a different brand of shock with the current leaf springs.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Re: are strut spacers legal?

Postby StoneCold on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

A few years behind on the thread but anyway,

I'm having the problem of sagging factory springs in the front, thought i would correct this with heavier duty king springs to account for the weight of a bull bar and winch to bring is back to normal height, then while the struts where off the car might as well put a small 10mm or 15mm spacer in there to level out the car with rear.

Has anyone had issues doing something like this?

The car is standard factory suspension atm.
StoneCold

Postby emjayar on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:53 am

ultimate wrote:The Triton leaves are already pretty long. I believe they flex very well when setup correctly with a long travel shock. Like any vehicle, you can keep customising to your heart's content. It just depends how far you want to go and what you are looking to achieve.

RG Colorado leaf springs are more commonly used on Hilux's for custom long travel set ups. They are 60mm wide as opposed to the factory 70mm MN tritons Springs. You would need to get different u/bolts plates, shackles and bushes to match the different width on the Triton. If going to a 60mm wide spring, I believe it would be easier to look at customising a MQ Triton leaf spring and using all of the ancillary components off that vehicle. With either option, your centre bolt positioning is going to be the biggest hurdle.

If you don't carry any weight and just want a flexible rear suspension setup, I would look at using a raised height comfort MK Triton spring. These have more camber than the MN springs, are slightly longer and can be made with 6-7mm thick leaves for more flex. The centre bolt needs to be flipped and you need an MK bush kit, but everything else is compatible.

Brendan,

What would the dimensions of the extended shock that Ultimate use for the long travel rear setup. noting of course the need for extended brake lines.
http://www.lifesbumpyroads.com | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Driving the conversation on depression and suicide awareness and intervention for Lifeline and beyondblue
'07 ML GLXR 3.2L as seen in Australian 4WD Action issue 238
emjayar

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:15 am

I have this saved from elsewhere
Eye to Eye shocks are available off the shelf in a huge range of lengths. Valving does vary especially if one shock is made predominantly for coil sprung vehicles.

Ultimate's options are-

Off the top of my head, OE is about 530 open.
AR74108- 560 open/378 closed (Normal 2"shock)
AR74523- 590 open/378 closed (Long Travel- Needs extended brake lines)
AR74547- 624 open/390 closed (Extra Long Travel- Needs extended brake lines and bumpstops)
AR74502- 664 open/407 closed (Only ever supplied to Thailand for 4-7"lifts- Needs a lot of work including custom springs, cross member and tailshaft mods)
L200Shogun

Postby Probz on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm

Hoping you guys can help with my dilemma! I'm in need of upgrading my suspension because my 2015 mn is starting to get dangerously tail happy on straight dirt roads with the faintest corrugations.

My dilemma is I have one of the taller sitting tritons going off the ride height thread and it sits front 560mm and rear 595mm so should i splurge out on a full 2" lift setup even though I'm only going to get around 20mm lift for my investment or just look at upgrading to quality shocks and keeping stock springs.

I don't tow or carry loads above 100kg regularly so this isn't an issue and I also don't have a bullbar and due to finances this is at least 12months away so this was another consideration in staying with stock springs until I need to upgrade. Also I'm kind of wanting to keep a bit of droop as i've picked up wheels far more than I've scraped so this is also a consideration.
Probz

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 am

I'd just get a new set of aftermarket shocks on the back to make the ride safe.

The original shocks can be stuffed in 20k as totally inadequate to control a thumping live axle.

If you're not getting shinny spots from the bump stops the springs are probably still sitting high enough.

Talk to Ultimate and see if you can get suitable shocks for now that'll be compatible with a future spring replacement.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Probz on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Yeah that's the way im leaning i'll give them a call tomorrow. Just out of curiosity is running longer shocks on stock springs detrimental to the lifespan of the shock?
Probz

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Longer shocks. Just make sure bump stops limit compression travel not the shock closing.
L200Shogun

Postby Ericw on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Hello,
This is my first post, so please bear with me. And if this is addressed some else, i do apologize. I bought a new MQ in march, and had a terrible shudder, not only when taking of, but when driving down the road over any small to middle sized bumps. It actually make the car feel like its bouncing down the road for a bit, and driving long distances actually makes me sore in the chest from the constant bouncing. The concrete freeway from Canberra to sydney is terrible. Any way, I had a ARB bar, rear bar and canopy put on it, and read that the B Bars causes the problem, so I put Ultimate Springs with Bilstiens, but to no avail. I put a center bearing lowering bracket on it with caster wedges on the rear spring and totally fixed the shudder on take off, but no effect on the bouncing. The guys at Ultimate (who have been great) advised that the BFG's were too stiff in the side walls, so I replaced them with Toyos, which made a small difference, and I changed back to Ultimate shocks, which again made a small difference, but the problem is still quiet bad. Mitsubishi Aust agree there is a problem, but don't know how to fix it (or wont?)
Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks Kindly
Ericw

Postby Joel on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 pm

What air pressure do you run in your tires? Try dropping a few psi and see if that helps. I run 40psi in my toyo open country at2s but i tow a trailer full time and have bull bar, bash plates, canopy, winch ect.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby als1200 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 am

Bouncing? Sounds like suspension problem?
als1200

Postby tezza08 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:19 am

Could it be an out of shape rim?
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 am

EricW, I'm a little confused as to exactly what the symptoms are.

Shudder on take off I understand, but this usually is only temporary and passes once one gets going. It's endemic with dual cab utes that have a two piece tailshaft and there are measures to reduce, or even eliminate it, depending on how much you want to spend. The MQ seems to have a propensity for this problem, hence Mitsubishi's damper solution on the upper models.

What I don't understand is shudder going over small bumps. Is it like the shudder on take off? Or is it just a harshness on impact? I have a few questions:
- What kind of vehicle did you have previously?
- What happens when you put some weight (say 200kg) in the back?
- Is this "shudder" like a constant vibration?
- Does it vary with speed?
- Does it happen when the road is smooth (like new hot mix)?

The questions that the other guys asked are relevant too.

Let's know and we'll see if we can help you.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Ericw on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.
Its very different to the shudder on take off, and I have that one all sorted.
It is not a constant vibration, and is not there on a really smooth roads. If you could imagine that every bump has 5 or so reducing sized bumps behind it, almost like a corrugation. It has no relation to road speed or engine speed, and makes no difference if I have some weight in it. If you power on when it happens it does seem to reduce. 4wd also make no difference.
Prior to this I had a MN triton, and the two other tritons before that, plus 3 challengers ( I have been a sucker for them, but that is going to change if I cant sort this one out.)
It feels like the engine mounts are made of jelly, and when you hit a bump the whole engine wobbles around for a little afterwards. I would actually call it an oscillation rather than shudder.
I am a qualified mechanic, but haven't worked in the industry for about 20 years.
This is just a really strange one ....
Ericw

Postby Ericw on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Sorry, I missed this one. I only run 32psi. 40 psi makes it much worse
Ericw

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Eric.

My first thoughts would be shock absorbers, but you've already addressed those, twice. Soft engine mounts? Maybe. Have you driven another MQ to see if the problem isn't just in yours?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Ericw on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:10 am

I haven't personally driven any others, but a mate of mine in Qld has one with the same problem (its a manual though) , and my dealer has 3 others the same as well. The dealer agrees that there is a problem, but wont do anything till he hears from MA, which I understand.
Ericw

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension