turbo stock psi?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

turbo stock psi?

Postby DPQ on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Sorry if plenty of info on this already but i have used search and not found much :oops: . I have an ml with chip-it module (very first lot) no alterations to boost, i have just installed a boost gauge and i'm getting a 9.5-10psi max reading, Is this correct?. I believe this is low is there any reasoning for this? i want to get this right before i go increasing psi with boost controller, many thanks
DPQ

Re: turbo stock psi?

Postby coxy47 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:14 pm

It depends on how your getting the reason. I found the best way to get the max reading is floor it in 3rd gear up a hill.

Most spike to about 16.7psi. with a boost controller and no map mod you can push it to 21.7psi before the ecu overboosts and goes into a limp mode.
coxy47

Postby DPQ on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:17 pm

yeah got reading going up long hill fifth gear and even drop back to fourth just to get revs right up no change :?:
coxy47 wrote:It depends on how your getting the reason. I found the best way to get the max reading is floor it in 3rd gear up a hill.

Most spike to about 16.7psi. with a boost controller and no map mod you can push it to 21.7psi before the ecu overboosts and goes into a limp mode.
DPQ

Postby snowman on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:37 pm

without any mods the ML's boost to about 14PSI maybe peaking at 15PSI

yours sounds a bit low.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DPQ on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:39 pm

does anybody have any reason why this would be so low?
snowman wrote:without any mods the ML's boost to about 14PSI maybe peaking at 15PSI

yours sounds a bit low.
DPQ

Postby coxy47 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Not certain my suggestion would be to check all the air lines from the turbo through to the intercooler and into the engine to ensure the are all connected and in good condition. It may also be worth checking the wastegate actuator line.
coxy47

Postby variflex on Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:02 pm

My ML was always peaking at 14.7, I fitted a manual boost controller and have now wound it to 16.9.
It's no neck snapping acceleration however it feels alot more responsive more powerwithout putting the right foot down and best of all I can now hear the turbo whistle
variflex

Postby coxy47 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Stock i was getting 16.7 with the boost controller I'm running 21.2ish. I agree not neck snapping but it makes a difference.
coxy47

Postby g4cube on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:48 pm

If you fit a manual boost controller do you need it chipped to stop it throwing up check engine codes? I'm interested to get a little more power but don't need any troubles now as at some stage I want to get the chip it guys to fit a chip in it when the wife lets me.
2009 GLX-R dual cab ARB Winch Bar and Alpha Canopy charcoal colour. Now with a 2" lift from ultimate. ARB rear step bar
g4cube

Postby Tony on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:24 pm

g4cube wrote:If you fit a manual boost controller do you need it chipped to stop it throwing up check engine codes? I'm interested to get a little more power but don't need any troubles now as at some stage I want to get the chip it guys to fit a chip in it when the wife lets me.

I'm just down the road from you this weekend. :lol: :lol:

There is no real gain fitting a manual controller with out a chip or tune, so wait till you get the Chip. I can commission it for you as travel over your way periodicity. ;)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby g4cube on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for the info mate. Might catch you next time so I can see what mods you have done.
2009 GLX-R dual cab ARB Winch Bar and Alpha Canopy charcoal colour. Now with a 2" lift from ultimate. ARB rear step bar
g4cube

Return to Fuel Systems