2008 ML TRITON DIESEL ISSUE ?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

2008 ML TRITON DIESEL ISSUE ?

Postby broomie21 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:36 am

Hi Everyone,
I searched the forums and cant seem to find my specific problem but then again Im a new owner so probably missed it, if so my apologies.
Here goes,
My car has 182,000kms on the clock, purchased it with 160,000kms and until recently was running perfect.A few weeks back it started to drive like the clutch was playing up ? It would surge real bad by revving up without engaging exceleration. If i feathered the excelerator it would slowly pick up speed and drive fairly normal.
I rang Mitsubushi dealers, my local mechanic and searched hours of forums to work out that the Manifold needed cleaning out as this was the most common of the issues that caused this.

I read the manual, looked at videos and proceeeded to remove and clean the manifold. I put it all back together and all was great, except there was a noticeable loss of power ?
I took it to a service agent who pugged it in to the diagnoistics and it came back with a EGR problem ?
SO, i removed it and the pipe, cleaned it thoroughly and whilst at it, removed cleaned and replaced the SCV, MAS sensor and MAP sensors as I read that these can cause issues as well.
I also replaced the Air, Oil and Fuel filters and checked all hoses for build up.

It now has gained the power back but is surging worse than before ??? to the point where i have to very lightly touch the pedal to gain traction or she will just rev like its in neutral ?

I have purchased a plug to block the signal for EGR just to see how that goes.

I have now poured so much money into this that im stuck with a car I cant drive properly and a problem that might be easy to fix but no way of knowing ?

The engine light is back on and the car is worse than ever ?

Any direction, help or advise other than burning it would greatly be appreciated.

Regards

Dave.
broomie21

Re: 2008 ML TRITON DIESEL ISSUE ?

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:11 pm

broomie21 wrote:i have to very lightly touch the pedal to gain traction or she will just rev like its in neutral ?

Revs but doesn't go and will only go with light throttle.

Clutch. When you rev it it's slipping as the torque overpowers what little friction there is.

If just surging then SCV is most likely culprit.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby broomie21 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Thanks Chris 8-)
broomie21

Postby Top End Wrangler on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:10 am

I recently had a surging / rough idle issue but this was when de-accelerating and coming to a stop in an auto. Basically did everything you did plus more and didn't fix it, turned out to be my fuel pump. Replaced the injectors too whilst I was at it. Like a whole new car again.
Top End Wrangler

Postby broomie21 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 am

Yeah, im leaning towards the fuel pump now
broomie21

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:19 am

broomie21 wrote:i have to very lightly touch the pedal to gain traction or she will just rev like its in neutral ?

Fuel pump? Nah.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby broomie21 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks for the replies and help guys.
As it turns out, I had a couple of issues at the same time which made it hard to diagnose. Firstly it was throwing an EGR fault code so that was cleaned and didn't work so replaced. That fixed that error but was still surging which was pin pointed to a faulty SCV. A new one was put in and it was faulty so the old one was cleaned and worked.
The bad surging was indeed the clutch but somehow was coming good at certain points which is rare as once they go they normally stay that way ?
So a heavy duty clutch has been installed, cleaned SCV, New EGR and cleaned the MAF sensor as well as the normal manifold clean and she is now purring like a kitten :)

Thanks to this forum, I can keep on top of the maintenance and cleaning to ensure it doesnt occurr again.

Cheers
Dave
broomie21

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:34 pm

That's great. So what clutch did you end up with?

I've got my new flywheel in captivity but still deciding on a reasonable hd clutch at an acceptable cost.

My original clutch is about to crack 250k but I'm thinking it's more pressure plate clamping force fatique than outright clutch disc wear. Since disconnecting the chip, it's coping at present.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jrs184 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:27 pm

broomie21 wrote:Thanks for the replies and help guys.
As it turns out, I had a couple of issues at the same time which made it hard to diagnose. Firstly it was throwing an EGR fault code so that was cleaned and didn't work so replaced. That fixed that error but was still surging which was pin pointed to a faulty SCV. A new one was put in and it was faulty so the old one was cleaned and worked.
The bad surging was indeed the clutch but somehow was coming good at certain points which is rare as once they go they normally stay that way ?
So a heavy duty clutch has been installed, cleaned SCV, New EGR and cleaned the MAF sensor as well as the normal manifold clean and she is now purring like a kitten :)

Thanks to this forum, I can keep on top of the maintenance and cleaning to ensure it doesnt occurr again.

Cheers
Dave

Get yourself the delete mod for the EGR save yourself a lot of work, they are about hundred on e bay now and take 5 minutes to plug in and remove if you need to do a re flash at the dealer anytime.
jrs184

Return to Fuel Systems