07 ML Petrol issues

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: 07 ML Petrol issues

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri May 25, 2012 6:26 pm

bobsreturn wrote:HAS ANY ONE COME UP WITH A WAY TO MAKE THE V6 MORE ECONOMICAL? love the car but fuel is a worry on long trips . thanks Bob

Bob, unladen the Triton weighs in at close to 1800kg and, with all the fruit, mine would probably be nearer 2200kg. Lights, bullbars and various other appendages hardly add to the aerodynamics. So, you're not going to get economy car fuel consumption.

That said, driven with a little care, the V6 is capable of quite reasonable economy, especially on a trip. Obvious things are clean air filter and making sure the various sensors are working properly. Keep unnecessary weight to a minimum and ensure that tyres are at optimum pressures 32-34psi. The right oil does make a difference too; nothing heavier than 10W-40. Spark plugs degrade after about 60,000km, so if you've done more than that then a change will make a difference. Over 100km/h fuel use goes up exponentially as drag increases, so stay at or below 100km/h. Doing this I've achieved around 10l/100km - which is not bad for a vehicle of this type. Around town the usual things apply. Gentle acceleration, right gear, anticipating traffic etc. I have very short runs to and from work but still average around 14.5l/100km.

Off road the petrol engines use a lot more fuel than a diesel, especially in heavy going like sand and low range work. Not much you can do about that.

The diesels are more economical but they usually pay more for each litre of fuel and have to service twice as often. I did some comparison numbers a couple of years ago which I posted up here (somewhere :roll: ) - at the end of the day there wasn't a huge difference.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Quinny on Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Have to agree with that 5th ;)

Around town I'm about 12 - 13 L/100, Beach driving is worse that that ... Highway - the best I have had is just above 9/100 ...

Q
Never argue with an idiot ... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ...
Quinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Chef_Dave on Sat May 26, 2012 8:42 am

after coming to terms with the fact that my Triton is not a race car :cry: I put this theory to the test recently driving out to Warwick QLD from Yamba NSW, which is approx 300kms away and not exceeding 90km/hr!! I made it there with still a touch over half a tank of petrol!!!!! :o :shock: I've never come anywhere close to getting that amount of k's from just half a tank in the years I've owned the Triton. normally it would be sitting around the 3/4 empty at this stage.

I must admit was a challenge in itself as i usually drive at around 110+ though to compensate i didn't really slow much through towns, school zones, stop signs etc :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't had the chance to do a straight run to see how many km's i really can get out of just one tank but I'm guessing its gonna be up around the 750 mark... :D
I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
Chef_Dave

Postby bobsreturn on Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am

Was hoping for an easier way looked at headers 6 hr to fit ,and looks a hard job . Not sure they would do much as their design is comprimised , any thoughts ? would rather trade than swap motors . need the range for some bush trips , cheers Bob
bobsreturn

Postby bobsreturn on Sat May 26, 2012 10:36 am

just read the other posts , think my problem is speed , and hi 4wd as i can feel the drag , with the lsd rarely need low range , will try the tips , got good economy on trip from brisbane . cheers Bob
bobsreturn

Postby bartman_2610 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:14 pm

I have just bought a 08 ML V6. I am of the same view as 5th, the numbers stack up pretty evenly in the long run.

To improve the economy you could fit the snorkel to get as much cold air and ram effect, and do an exhaust upgrade. From the 3rd cat back to 2 & 1/2 will make a small difference.

A set of headers will also make a small difference. I won't go into the long debate about weather to ditch the cat convertors on either side....

Most cost effective thing other than a snorkel and an air filter upgrade would be LPG.

Bart
bartman_2610

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems