Bad fuel economy

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: HELP - shocking fuel economy

Postby Brent1 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Irwazza. Regardless of whether they lie when stating those figures or not, your comments are still ignorant and bloody insulting to the rest of us that conducted hours of research comparing different 4x4 models based on many factors - including their stated fuel economy. I KNOW that I am unlikely to achieve the figures they state - I am not that naive and fully aware I will rarely, if ever, be driving under their optimal conditions - what pisses me off is that the real world figures seem to be nowhere near what is stated most of the time and the calculation methods need to be more transparent. Thank you for the info Biggibbo. I DID search the Internet trying to establish how they calculate those figures to no avail. I don't know whether I used the wrong search terms, but the data should be much easier to find and/or be stated in fine print on the stickers or brochures. I don't believe that I was naive as I never make purchase decision without basing them on all the facts I have at hand. My only problem is that the facts at hand were obviously limiting with their bias. I still believe that regardless of whether they are tested in real world conditions or not, the fact that Big Damo's figures vary so badly from those stated in the brochures means something is very wrong with the calculation methods if nothing is found wrong with his car. I would say it is just blatantly misleading and lying. Surely we should be able to expect to achieve something similar??? We shouldn't have to just accept it and sneer at people for trying to make important decisions based on erroneous information in good faith. A 50% variance from that stated is just not on. I am happy to admit that the Triton is still no worse than the other brands though
Brent1

Postby biggibbo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 pm

I understand where u are coming from. NRMA did some testing recently and found a difference between stated fuel economy and real world. Cant remember the average but some were 3&4 litres different.

Mine used to average 8.9 before all the fruit went on but is closer to 10.0 these days, however was in the 12's for the first 3000km or so the settled down.
biggibbo

Postby irwazza on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Meh
Last edited by irwazza on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
irwazza

Postby har05l on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 pm

When I bought mine the 1st few tanks I got 9's. By the time the 1500km service came up I was getting 11's. Bigger tyres went on and got into the 12's.

75k km's down now with around 300kg's of extras added and I'm calculating that I'm back in the 9's again :? .

On a recent 4500km outback trip towing a ton of camper plus a tub full of stuff I managed mid 14's. I was pleasantly surprised and also happy as I expected higher.

I didn't purchase the triton based on economy but the availability to just get out there and see this great country of ours.

As said just do to it what you want and get some km's racked up and get the engine loosened up a bit. Don't drive it easy either, give it a bit every now and then. Mines seen the redline quite a few times and still going fine :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 am

This is what anoys me off my 2010 colarado dual cab gets between 7.8 and 8.5
Loaded with tools canopy, ladders on roof and has a bigger engine
And gets driven twice as hard.

And is fully loaded all the time.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Bad fuel economy

Postby Wallace on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:03 am

Gentleman this topic has been reported and I draw your attention to the following guideline.

3. No Abuse or Foul Language. While we encourage lively debates and discussions, we will not tolerate personal attacks of any kind on the open forum. Any person attacking another forum member will receive a warning or immediate ban (depending on the severity) and have their offensive posts removed. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Insults, offensive language or anything offensive will be deleted without warning and/or notification if considered unacceptable by a Moderator. Content that is insulting to anyone based on gender, lifestyle, religion, ethnic group, race etc. is unacceptable and will be deleted without warning and/or notification. newTriton.net will not tolerate posts which defame individuals, other on line forums, businesses or car companies. No inter-site bantering between the various forums 4WD Network host, eg: My Triton is better than your Hilux, etc. Every member has the right to post about problems but this must be done in a factual manner.

You have this opportunity to clean up the offensive posts yourselves. I suggest you do so.
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:28 am

killa wrote:Mine's roughly 2l/100lm better now at 35,000km than it was at new.
Best thing I did was get the tappets adjusted and then adding the Uni Filter 100km later, sound is a lot louder with this air filter but it's worth +/- 0.5l/100km.

I've found the same. After 30K they seem to loosen up and also benefit from the 30K service. Getting the best ever economy so far now, although other mod's have helped in that regard as well. ;)
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Big Damo on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 am

irwazza wrote:Insulting and ignorant hey? Try blatant truth. Every car manufacturer lies about the fuel consumption you will actually get. Always have!! As mentioned there tests are always done in perfect conditions, totally different to what we see on the road.
Its no different to solar company selling you a 5kw/h system that will only ever achieve 2.5kw/h.
Welcome to the real world. Every 4x4 will return similar if not worse results. Enjoy it for what it is.
If you want absolute fuel economy ride a pushbike.

P.S I still believe fuel economy is influenced by drive style more than anything else

If that's the case why are some vehicle getting or very close to advertised figures? (even when brand new) I nursed my vehicle, I pushed it so far and still not close no matter what I do.
Big Damo

Postby gregned on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 am

I'm with Big Damo.
I'm getting 12 to 12.5 perhaps Tuff Troop of Chaser can tell us what the service guys need to change to resolve the issue.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby irwazza on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 am

Big Damo wrote:
If that's the case why are some vehicle getting or very close to advertised figures? (even when brand new) I nursed my vehicle, I pushed it so far and still not close no matter what I do.

Who knows? Are their calculations accurate? Are they using the vehicle read out to determine these figures? Are they always driving with the wind down a hill? You just never know the circumstances
irwazza

Postby biggibbo on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:27 am

Damo- are these calculated figures from the pump and have you added 3.3% to the km travelled to account for the larger diameter tyres. You may find that it is not as bad as you think.

Not surprising to see crap figures early but make sure you know your real usage. Never trust the digital readout, its wrong in std trim and the larger tyres make it completely wrong

Out of interest, how many km did you get out of the last tank and how many litres did you put in when you refilled.
biggibbo

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 am

You can expect an increase in fuel consumption if the a/c is getting a good work out. I definitely find I get better fuel economy in winter. I could probably match the factory spec's if I drove very sedately. Too many variables for every car to be the same.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hymie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:18 pm

I have been staying on the side lines for this but I think I need to throw my 2 cents in

Larger tyres will affect the economy because it affects the final gearing, so simply put it is like driving in too high of gear.

Bullbar will add to your fuel economy as it adds more weight so the engine has to work harder to get the mass rolling.

Lift will add to the economy as you have a greater surface area you are trying to push through the air resistance.

All these things add up.

I have 2010 MN manual, bullbar, larger tyres, and I recently did a test on economy from Brisbane to Narrabri and back. Using the digital read out (mine seems fairly accurate when compared at the bowser) I achieved 10.8l/100 on the way to Narrabri this was sitting on 110-120kmph for the majority of the trip and on the way back I was slip streaming the trucks doing 95-105kmph and achieved 10.1l/100.

Now back in Brissy I travel a lot of country roads and easily get 9.5l/100 but usually am averaging between 85-95kmph

Alternatively I also tow a 2600Kg full size caravan and the best economy I got was 16.5l/100 when I took my time getting to where we were going much better than the 26l/100 I got trying to catch up a mate over a 250km drive.

From this you can clearly see what they preach in the 4wding and caravanning magazines, "It takes far more energy to travel at 110kmph than it does at 90kmph" is true and I think you need somewhere in the vicinity of 150% energy to achieve the extra 20kmph.

Don't particularly care what you get out of this but my advice to you is if you want good economy than buy an economical car like a Yaris. If you want a 4wd that is capable of reaching 95% of this great coutry of ours and you want all the fruit and trimmings on it, than don't bitch that it is costing you an extra $1.50 per 100ks you do. Oh yeah the figures that the manufacturer claim is optimal driving conditions and frugal driving practices, Not sitting at 110 to 120 on an incline with a head wind. And before you answer that I realise not all your diving is like that.

I don't know what it is that some people want from their cars. The only thing that I don't like about my Triton is I don't get off road as much as I would like but a good hard play once a month seems to be a good balance at the moment.
People say that your dreams are the only things that save ya
Hymie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby irwazza on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Hymie wrote:I have been staying on the side lines for this but I think I need to throw my 2 cents in

Larger tyres will affect the economy because it affects the final gearing, so simply put it is like driving in too high of gear.

Bullbar will add to your fuel economy as it adds more weight so the engine has to work harder to get the mass rolling.

Lift will add to the economy as you have a greater surface area you are trying to push through the air resistance.

All these things add up.

I have 2010 MN manual, bullbar, larger tyres, and I recently did a test on economy from Brisbane to Narrabri and back. Using the digital read out (mine seems fairly accurate when compared at the bowser) I achieved 10.8l/100 on the way to Narrabri this was sitting on 110-120kmph for the majority of the trip and on the way back I was slip streaming the trucks doing 95-105kmph and achieved 10.1l/100.

Now back in Brissy I travel a lot of country roads and easily get 9.5l/100 but usually am averaging between 85-95kmph

Alternatively I also tow a 2600Kg full size caravan and the best economy I got was 16.5l/100 when I took my time getting to where we were going much better than the 26l/100 I got trying to catch up a mate over a 250km drive.

From this you can clearly see what they preach in the 4wding and caravanning magazines, "It takes far more energy to travel at 110kmph than it does at 90kmph" is true and I think you need somewhere in the vicinity of 150% energy to achieve the extra 20kmph.

Don't particularly care what you get out of this but my advice to you is if you want good economy than buy an economical car like a Yaris. If you want a 4wd that is capable of reaching 95% of this great coutry of ours and you want all the fruit and trimmings on it, than don't bitch that it is costing you an extra $1.50 per 100ks you do. Oh yeah the figures that the manufacturer claim is optimal driving conditions and frugal driving practices, Not sitting at 110 to 120 on an incline with a head wind. And before you answer that I realise not all your diving is like that.

I don't know what it is that some people want from their cars. The only thing that I don't like about my Triton is I don't get off road as much as I would like but a good hard play once a month seems to be a good balance at the moment.

+1 , well put mate, pretty much sums it up :-)
irwazza

Postby JoanTheSpark on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:44 pm

If people wanted to compare fuel figures they would need to log all the required parameters while they drive so one could look for similar stretches of driven road and compare figures..

Just out the top of my head I'd say those are:
  • RPM
  • KM/H
  • TEMP
  • AC usage
  • Lights
  • Fuel Injector

If you don't have that forget it.

When I'm driving around the Tablelands I get about 100ks more out of a tank compared to when driving to Cairns and back.
JoanTheSpark

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Good post Hymie. 2 & 1/2 tonnes of 4wd isn't going to set the world on fire for good fuel economy. What is amazing is how good it actually is.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:06 pm

The fuel economy on our triton is brilliant
If I ever think it may be a little high
I jump in our other ride
VY SS with a cam MAFless tune extractors hi flow cats 20" rims and a fool behind the wheel that loves shredding tyres

A little off topic
Maybe but my point is forget about your economy & enjoy your ride
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 pm

:lol: :lol: Pttfff i reckon im getting 13-14lts per 100k's (46k on the clock) When i run out
i stick more Dinosaure's in my tank & keep going.....ahh what the hell :roll:
Gonna do a fill up tomorrowz....so im gonna gess 90+ltr's for 800k's ;) twin tanks 150 all up
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Tony on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:20 pm

:lol: I'm like you there Frank, when I think I'm hard done by, I jump in the old supercharged Range Rover and tow 2.5 tons. Has never returned better than 25lts/100 yet. :lol: Who cares as its fun! :twisted: Greens, look away now. :lol:

Back on topic, my MN is a bit all over the shop depending on the use, I dont worry to much as long as the Air fuel ratios and EGTs are in spec. We see around mid 10's with a torque tune. Around 14's with very heavy towing but at 90KMH ;) Tow at 110 and you have to feed the horses. just the way it is.
When you consider the amassing performance these little fours are capable of with the given weight and aerodynamics of a brick shite house, its not that bad.

Any of you that are getting 8's and 9's.... dont touch anything and definitely dont add accessories as it will all go down hill. :roll: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:24 pm

On a side note, out of curiosity, I'd like to run my air fuel meter on some of these fuel pigs. Any up around high 12's to 14's under light use is out there I think.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan_4818 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:35 pm

That would be me then lol. I am lucky to get 450km out of a tank most times i fill up. Havent calculated it exactly but she chews the juice. Got the barwork and 32" mud tires. Chip it running tune 8, 3" exhaust and uni filter. Without the chip i done a highway trip going easy averaging around 110km/h and returned figures of 12.5-13.5. Maybe i need to go down a tune. She blows the durry when accelerating.

*edit. forgot to mention car is mn manual. 2 years old with 16000kms on the clock. About to go in for 30000km service
dan_4818
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 pm

dan_4818 wrote:That would be me then lol. I am lucky to get 450km out of a tank most times i fill up. Havent calculated it exactly but she chews the juice. Got the barwork and 32" mud tires. Chip it running tune 8, 3" exhaust and uni filter. Without the chip i done a highway trip going easy averaging around 110km/h and returned figures of 12.5-13.5. Maybe i need to go down a tune. She blows the durry when accelerating.

*edit. forgot to mention car is mn manual. 2 years old with 16000kms on the clock. About to go in for 30000km service

Contact ChipIT support - they can custom tweak tune 8 for better highway cruising. May be the best 5 minutes you ever invested your time in ....

worked a treat for me - and barely any noticeable difference in power/torque.

Irwazza - what sort of mileage are you getting on tune 15, out of interest?!

Tony wrote:On a side note, out of curiosity, I'd like to run my air fuel meter on some of these fuel pigs. Any up around high 12's to 14's under light use is out there I think.

Tony - can you provide any more info, or figures or something regarding what the air/fuel meter readings should be, so that should we want to we can pursue it further with the Mitsy boys next service? Just be good to have some decent info

On re-thinking my economy, I think I'm getting happier by the minute with 9.4L/100kms at highway speeds (100kmh) - that's with 5 occupants and luggage, but wasn't towing.
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby irwazza on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Tune 15 didn't last long in my Ute. Clutch slippage was too bad so I backed it off to tune 10. Then I had some scv valves issues so I pulled all the gear off so MM could fix it. Gonna put all the gear back on this week.
As for fuel consumption I get between 12 and 12.5 on factory tune, tune 10 and tune 15. Doesn't blow smoke on any if the tunes.
If you want the best fuel consumption you need a custom tune done so they can monitor the afr's :)
irwazza

Postby Tony on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 pm

odie602r wrote:
dan_4818 wrote:That would be me then lol. I am lucky to get 450km out of a tank most times i fill up. Havent calculated it exactly but she chews the juice. Got the barwork and 32" mud tires. Chip it running tune 8, 3" exhaust and uni filter. Without the chip i done a highway trip going easy averaging around 110km/h and returned figures of 12.5-13.5. Maybe i need to go down a tune. She blows the durry when accelerating.

Contact ChipIT support - they can custom tweak tune 8 for better highway cruising. May be the best 5 minutes you ever invested your time in ....

worked a treat for me - and barely any noticeable difference in power/torque.

Irwazza - what sort of mileage are you getting on tune 15, out of interest?!

Tony wrote:On a side note, out of curiosity, I'd like to run my air fuel meter on some of these fuel pigs. Any up around high 12's to 14's under light use is out there I think.

Tony - can you provide any more info, or figures or something regarding what the air/fuel meter readings should be, so that should we want to we can pursue it further with the Mitsy boys next service? Just be good to have some decent info

On re-thinking my economy, I think I'm getting happier by the minute with 9.4L/100kms at highway speeds (100kmh) - that's with 5 occupants and luggage, but wasn't towing.

As a very rough guide..... light cruise up to 40:1, light to medium load - around 21:1, full snort - down to high 14's and back to around 18:1 to 21:1 depending on tune etc.

Any thing below mid 14 is very bad as there is literally no air left to burn and will smoke like proud merry. :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tyson09 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:37 pm

My 09 3.2
with lift bar work and 265/70/17 muddys , sits around 14l /100km , around town and highway is not mutch better around mid 12-13 . But the Triton looks great and i just fill her up and enjoy the drive .
tyson09

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems