07 ML Petrol issues

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

07 ML Petrol issues

Postby Chef_Dave on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:37 pm

OK having some issues with my toy of late :(

1. It seems that each time I go into 4L and some times in 4H the temp shoots through the roof! forcing me to run the heater at full blast or stop and let it cool down.

2. Fuel consumption is piss poor!!! its never been great from the get go being a petrol and all :roll: but i used to get 450-480 from a full tank. Lately i'm lucky to get 400!!!! the tank just gone 380!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry:

3. ABS light has been on since a trip down to coffs a month ago with Tricky, but I know how that happened :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been running BFG A/ts 265/70/16 from day 1 and have only recently added bullbar & winch. I'm wondering if the bullbar is restricting air flow :? if so will a snorkel fix this?

Any help or suggestions before i book it into the stealers would be great.

Cheers
Dave
I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
Chef_Dave

Re: 07 ML Petrol issues

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm aware of at least two petrol engined Tritons overheating when 4wding. From memory the common element was crap clogging up the radiator, mud mostly IIRC. So that's the first place I'd start and if you've been wheeling with Tricky then that would be a very good place to start :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby fraz91 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey chef,

I'd say the bullbar and winch are restricting airflow over the radiator rather than into the intake, and the added load of 4H/4L on the engine probably isn't helping. A snorkel would help in getting colder and cleaner air into the intake, but it wouldn't help terribly much with the radiator issue.

If you've been through any mud recently and haven't washed out your radiators, do so. I found my temp gauge was going through the roof last time I went through mud, and it turned out that the radiator was full of it. Try using a high-pressure spray (wide angle spray, not a single stream as you'll damage the vanes) on the radiator with the front bumper off. This should clean out most of the crap thats in there and help to get your engine a little cooler.

Cheers,
Fraz

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby stefanos on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 pm

^^^x2.....check the radiator!!!
stefanos

07 ML Petrol issues

Postby TUFF TROOP on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 pm

As above check radiator , Check the operation of the viscous fan also when the car is hot try and spin the fan with motor not running , if it's easy to spin you need a new one , is yours a auto ?
TUFF TROOP

Postby salt36 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:59 am

X5 yep clean the mud out of the radiator, I recently had my bash plates off and did the same and was shocked at how much mud and crap was in there :shock:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:06 am

salt36 wrote:X5 yep clean the mud out of the radiator, I recently had my bash plates off and did the same and was shocked at how much mud and crap was in there :shock:

Radiator is the first thing for temps no doubt. I hit mine with a fire hose and the volume of water seems to do a awesome job of getting thru the radiator. So if you have a reel somewhere borrow it.

The second issue:
Salt, was it you that regained some performance and fuel economy from replacing the spark plugs on your v6?
I am confussed :?
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:31 am

^^^ Yep sure did, the old ones were stuffed.

How many K's has your Triton done Chef Dave ?

Mitsubishi also do an injector calibration which is supposed to improve economy also.

I didnt bother as usually run LPG
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Chef_Dave on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:07 am

Radiator is clean. was pulled out and water blasted back to new only recently. There was a tonne of mud in there after Levuka. But still the heating issue :? :? :?

Yeah TUFF its an auto.

done around 80K SALT
I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
Chef_Dave

Postby tukadafoonday on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:44 am

Maybe there is an airlock in the cooling system... If there is it wont circulate properly.... You might need to bleed it again and make sure all the air is out.
tukadafoonday

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:39 am

If you hav done the radiator clean out and still the same prob' then it may be time to look a bit more down the line, such as
a blocked core, thermostat, water pump, allso a full flushout(inside) of the radiator, fresh/new coolent just a idear before you go to the stealer.
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Storm Trooper on Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:50 am

mine did this recently at Wheeny Creek... but still to determine the issue... i'm inclined to think it was air in the system causing problems as it was parked on an angle for close to 10minutes on idle, but it did occur at the end of the day on the last hill. :?: :?: :?:

fan on full and hot and sparkling water in the overflow :lol: problem solved, never overheated so far (knock on wood). plenty of city driving, stuck in traffic and highway kms to the farm and back since then.

I'll be draining and flushing the cooling system soon just as a precaution, it was last done at 45k service and now she has 96k.

but again mine does not have a bullbar and winch.... sorry haven't been of any help
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby snowman on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:06 am

there is a thread on here about someone going the path of an eletric thermo fan. Might be worth searching and discussing.

summer is here again and i cant believe how loud that damn fan gets when the temps get up to high 20's or above.... :evil:

it is also one of the disadvantages of the standard xrox bar as it leaves your radiator very exposed to mud. Not that other cars are excluded but it doesn't take much of a mud did to block them up. Dont hit mud at speed. It is more hassle than it is worth.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Chef_Dave wrote:Radiator is clean. was pulled out and water blasted back to new only recently. There was a tonne of mud in there after Levuka. But still the heating issue :? :? :?

Yeah TUFF its an auto.

done around 80K SALT

Your plugs will be knackered for sure......Service book says change at 90,000K but they are a cheap plug and don't last.

I changed mine but not a job for the feint hearted, about a four hour job, remove intake manifolds all wiring connected to the manifolds, vacuum hoses etc.....

I swapped with the original NGK BKR-etub but the better plug apparently is the NKG BKR6EIX which I bought a set but am yet to fit them.

Here's the Electric fan thread......

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=722&hilit=davies+craig
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby SecondEye on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Looking at the OP post you mentioned about the gear selector seeming to have some play on the amount of heat.
Maybe add check your transfer AND transmission oil levels and quality to your to do list.
If you do dump the oil (transfer/trans/engine) have a feel around in the oil once cooled for metal you may have shagged a bearing with all the toughlove touring with geek.
SecondEye

Postby Duck on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 pm

I feel your pain on the petrol economy, my last triton was the GLXR Auto diesel but wanted more power, so traded up to the GLS auto Petrol truck loads of power I pass everything but the service station. Sorry sounds like a mechanics job the overheating problem..........
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

I just had my truck booked in for over heating issues - turns out all 3 belts were loose and the one running the water pump was slipping when full load applied. They ran all the bench test etc but couldnt find any faults... I took the chip and boost controller out also... so will put them back in and most likely give the system a flush and some new coolant just to be on the safe side.

So fingers crossed no more over heating issues (they also did the reflash for cabon build up - better not stuff my power and fuel economy :evil: )
ML-VR08

Postby Homer on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Quick fix to check is a can of anti slip spray. CRC make one I'm pretty sure.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby salt36 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 pm

The petrol's water pump is driven by the timing belt and if it was slipping I pretty certain you would know about it :shock:

Chef Dave and Storm Trooper have you found the problem yet ?
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Josh_Triton on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 pm

I was having a heating issue to especially in 4wd. I put it on ramps and took off the bash plates and hit it with the yard blaster. I could of nearly filled a bucket with the amount of crap in there. Engine runs alot cooler but I still find the trans gets too hot for my liking.
Petrol power.
Josh_Triton

Postby Storm Trooper on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:52 pm

salt36 wrote:The petrol's water pump is driven by the timing belt and if it was slipping I pretty certain you would know about it :shock:

Chef Dave and Storm Trooper have you found the problem yet ?

Not found, but has not occurred again...i did end up completing a flush of the coolant system :) i'm pretty sure it was just a hard days 4wding, being parked on a 35-40degree angle for 10-15minutes at idle, also the fact it was due for a flush at the next service.

i perform all my services as i seem to find all the dodgy mechanics in Sydney. next thing on my service list is the plugs... so Salt you say the NKG BKR6EIX is the better plug... i'll take your good advice and order a set.
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby Chef_Dave on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:00 pm

After full flush of radiator, removing bash plates and high pressure clean I took it in to the stealers :oops: I had get the ABS replaced anyway... So their response was after testing was engine runs at standard operating temps. They did say if it does raise again to let them know :roll:
Chef_Dave

Postby salt36 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Storm Trooper wrote:Not found, but has not occurred again...i did end up completing a flush of the coolant system :) i'm pretty sure it was just a hard days 4wding, being parked on a 35-40degree angle for 10-15minutes at idle, also the fact it was due for a flush at the next service.

i perform all my services as i seem to find all the dodgy mechanics in Sydney. next thing on my service list is the plugs... so Salt you say the NKG BKR6EIX is the better plug... i'll take your good advice and order a set.

From what I have seen so far it seems the overheating is limited to the auto petrols.....

Do you guys have a trans cooler in front of the radiator ?

Yep good plugs mate, I have done a few thousand on mine now and no probs, not using the Triton much now as i have a work ute. Interesting that when i first fitted the plugs the exhaust was a touch quieter for a week or so, I am guessing the ECU leaned the fuel slightly to compensate for the stronger spark, not sure but the exhaust is back to loud again now :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby bobsreturn on Fri May 25, 2012 2:15 pm

HAS ANY ONE COME UP WITH A WAY TO MAKE THE V6 MORE ECONOMICAL? love the car but fuel is a worry on long trips . thanks Bob
bobsreturn

07 ML Petrol issues

Postby motoz on Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Fit a 2.5 DID ???

:lol:
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Fuel Systems