Blocked Fuel Filter - Diesel ML

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Hey guys!
I thought I would fill you all in on a problem that developed with ute over the last few days. I was driving to the airport friday morning and I put the foot down in first and felt the car flat line at around 3000rpm which is not usual considering I have the ecutek tune, k&n filter and 3" exhust. I continued to monitor it in different gears at different speeds whilst watching the EGT's and it was always losing power and surging after 3000 rpm also the EGT's were getting higher then normal.

I rang Lee our friendly dealer at Eagers Newstead and he informed me that there have been 25 or so cases of fuel filter being completely blocked at similar km's as mine 108,000km but he also went on to say his MN filter was changed at 19,000km. I have noticed over the last few months the economy has been getting pretty average so I am hoping this is the cause. I replaced the filter with a Ryco p/n # Z679 from Repco for $60. So far so good! I am glad it was a simple fix I might cut the old filter open and have a peak inside if I do I will post some pics.

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Re: Blocked Fuel Filter - Diesel ML

Postby Homer on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:15 pm

I would be careful about aftermarket fuel filters considering how touchy the oilers are on fuel quality and the damage that bad fuel causes.....would be an easy no way for wty down the track....

I know a couple of people on here have put better primary fuel filters in line with the factory one due to the potential our fuel has for damaging these engines.

As usual no issues with the V6 though :P :twisted:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah I did consider that Homer but I only have a 3 months left on the 5 year warranty. Ryco have warranty on all their filters.

"Should any engine or equipment be damaged as a result of the use of a proven defective RYCO product, GUD Automotive will pay to restore the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to the state of the engine or equipment immediately prior to the damage"

I would only use genuine oil filters but in the case of fuel I really don't beleive it presents a big issue if fails as opposed to oil filters. In any case the Mitsubishi filter failed......I might look into a pre filter in any case!
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Steane on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:41 pm

I changed my MLs fuel filter at 30k and it made a big difference.

I'd only use genuine for the fuel filter myself, but a secondary filter is a good idea. It's on my list. Another bloody black can to find a place for...
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:03 pm

In my work car colarado td 3.0 they have changed the the fuel filter every 10k on the service. When do our tritons get done.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:08 pm

They are supposed to be swapped every 30000kms.

I'm at 20000since my last one was done and I'm pretty sure mine is starting to get blocked.
coxy47

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:36 pm

After opening up one of my genuine oil filters I would not get to excited about them being better than a Ryco.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tukadafoonday on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:31 pm

I don't think it's a case of people thinking that Ryco quality is not as good... Think more so that if someone goes wrong they don't want mitsubiti to have anything to knock back a warranty claim as I think they would blame it very quickly on the after market filter even if it a not.
tukadafoonday

Postby Homer on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

^^^^ I don't think...I know they will blame it on that and the warranty clearly states non genuine parts....no wty. Not worth the risk....
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby dan.batto on Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 pm

My ml is almost due for its 90,000km service. could this be the reason why when i rev the engine in neutral there is a bit of a delay to when it gets the fuel feed. I am also receiving a bit of lag at around 3000rpm. When i have been giving it a bit of boot for a while it runs better than when i nancy around a bit. I have had the manifolds changed over at about 50,000km.
Might go buy a fuel filter this week an do it myself.
dan.batto

Postby mattz on Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 pm

It won't hurt to put one in yourself......use a genuin one so mitsubishi dont have a come back.
Then if it's still doing it when the service is due, you can let them know to have a look for the problem. ;)
Edit: are you aware you will have to bleed the system to? It's not hard but it's not just a straight swap of the filters.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby coxy47 on Sun May 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Definitly worth doing. After having a chat to Lee-teal they clog up quickly and I swapped mine at about 81000kms. It made a notable difference to the response, fuel economy and the smoke I was getting.

As mattz has said just make sure you bleed the system and prime it and you should be all good. It's also worth making sure the clamps are tight after swapping it as someone had trouble with them but who it was escapes me at moment.
coxy47

Postby Sky Miner on Sun May 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Thats why i put a secondary filter/glass bowl water trap inline before the main filter' it may not be

as good as the factory filter but it's there as a first line of defence to catch 'some' of the crap ;)

Not that ive had any prob's with bad fuel :)

yet....
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby jetcrew on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:07 am

Thought I'd add this question to this thread than start a new one .(hope it's right thing )

I had the manifolds done at MM Last week , then fuled up a full tank on way home and hey presto the fuel filter light comes on, I stopped back into the dealer who thought that maybe some air got into the system when they worked on the manifolds.

Qestion 1 - do they go near the fuel rail or system etc when doing the manifolds.

Question 2 - when you pop the bonnet and push down on the pump part of the fuel filter is it hard to push, ?

Mine is very soft to push and takes about 20 primes to stiffen up.

Although I want to just take it back on Monday Morning and throw the car at them , I also realise that it could be a super co-incidence . I was thinking though that if the primer on the filter should be stiff and it's not then maybe thier is an air leak in the fuel system and the pump is not holding pressure.

I was thinking I will buy a new filter first thing monday and install it in the car park at MM , If it still does not turn off the light then i guess I can rule out the filter , And thoughts or advice :D :D

If they do go near the fuel system when doing manifolds I will put a brand new filter in and then if the light does not go out I will give it to them to sort out. The servo I fueled it at is right next door to the dealers . so it will then either be a MM prob or BP prob ...I hope.

Jet :D :D
jetcrew

Return to Fuel Systems