Jet A1 Fuel in a Triton

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Jet A1 Fuel in a Triton

Postby SPB on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Has anyone run Jet A1 fuel in their Tritons at all? If so did you blend it or just run it as is? It is a very similiar blend.
SPB

Re: Jet A1 Fuel in a Triton

Postby lgd on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:29 pm

I used to be uncertain but lately I'm not so sure.
lgd

Postby Duck on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:42 pm

I know that salts ute goes like a jet but I think he runs shuttle fuel from NASA :lol:
I am guessing you are in the aviation industry ? I have not heard of it on here :?
Let us know how it goes :)
Would look great a line of Tritons at the airport waiting beside the refueling truck :D
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Last edited by mitzikatzi on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitzikatzi

Postby ag9111 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:11 pm

It would not be a direct replacement fuel. A lot of tuning and mods would be required. Lack of Sulphur would be one that stands out
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:52 pm

My guess would be a blend of jet fuel and some petrol and 2stroke oil.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SPB on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:30 am

Yes I work within the aviation industry. When an aircraft has to drained of its fuel it is classed as contaminated and cannot go back into the aircraft. It costs more money to offload it so why not give it away to the staff? So now if I want some of the 1500 Litres I can help myself.

My engineers tell me they use it as a mix and not as a direct replacement. As much as I trust them I thought I would still ask around.

I should add they also say it only works in a diesel and not petrol engines.
SPB

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:54 am

Jet fuel is essentially a slightly more refined distillate than what is generally referred to as diesel (somewhat confusing because real diesel fuel is much heavier than the distillate that we use in cars and trucks). The difference is the boiling temperature which the Jet fuel/Kerosene has which is lower than that of automotive distillate, plus the quality controls that Jet fuel has to go through. A diesel engine will run on Jet fuel or kerosene, but not really a good idea to do it long term. I would think that mixing 10% Jet fuel with 90% Distillate should be ok but it's probably a good idea to talk to one of the oil companies first to get their thoughts on a safe blend ratio.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Try a 50/50 mix and keep an eye on EGTs, a1 having a lower flash point is the concern. Cut finer and run into heat/pump lubrication issues. Also recommended to throw some 2 stroke in.
MilkmanDan

Postby drover on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:35 pm

There is / was a couple of aircraft mechanics in the Dubbo area who use the contaminated A1 in their old Toyota roo shooting utes I think they run 50/50 diesel cause on it's own it burns too hot and burns pistons and valves and cracks valve seats :(
drover

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Kerosene is very abrasive so I don't think it would be a good idea to use it through a common rail system. Combustion temps are likely a problem long-term too.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Some of the guys used to use the 'contaminated' fuel from the f111's. That fuel had a lubricity additive in it though and they weren't common rail either. Does the fuel your referring to have a lubrication additive still? I wouldn't recommend anything more than a 50/50 mix in a newer diesel.
chrisdoherty87

Postby Duck on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:32 am

I would buy a jet & use it in that & save the issues that could arise from warranty claims in the Tri.........

Good for starting fires, we used to dump 44 gallon drums of the drain fuel into gravel pits & light them up would burn for a few hours & no left over ash :) :) :)
Expensive fire but as you say can't be used for anything aviation anymore so have to do something with it.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby variflex on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:03 am

Wow, there are a few aircraft guys here,
I spent ten years with Qantas as an AME
variflex

Postby Bouie74 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:51 pm

We used to run our hilux's and Cruisers on jet A1 at the jet base back in the 90's. Not common rail injection Back then, but they seemed to run perfectly back then. No smoke and was cheap for the company as it was fuel that had been unloaded so couldn't go back into the aircraft.
Bouie74

Postby tritonmatt76 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:14 am

Don't run Jet-A1 in your diesel engine.

Jet A-1 (or DPK Dual Purpose Kerosene) is the military grade of Avtur and has a flash point (around 37-38 deg C) much lower than automotive diesel fuel (around 62 deg C), you WILL damage the engine via pre-ignition, there's also the lack of internal lubrication you will miss out on causing further wear.

Seals will likely also take a beating throughout the fuel system as Jet-A1 contains FSII which is an icing inhibitor due to the lack of heating elements within military aircraft.

in short you are mad if you use this in a motor vehicle- unless its fitted with a turbine engine......
tritonmatt76

Postby tcrow on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:01 am

Tritonmatt76 is spot on, don't do it long term,it will damage your engine.
I have put one tank of 50/50 through my MN, it does work but the stress waiting for something to go bang is not worth it. We give away some jet fuel to a bloke that runs it in his tractors and an older 70 series cruiser with no issues but the triton engine being a fairly refined common rail diesel will not handle it so well. Having said that another bloke from work used to run it in late model Range Rover, he did it for awhile with no issues but he has left the company so don't know what the long term outcome was. Also worked with another guy who put it in his Mazda diesel ute, late model, and this is a point to watch if you are going to do it. As I am sure you are aware aircraft do get water in the fuel and are equipped with fuel drains to get it out, this bloke ended up with water in his engine and long story short, car die!
As an apprentice I killed a cortina 250 with avgas, that was only a 50/ 50 with extra lube, but I had a Datsun 1200 that loved the stuff.
Do it at your own peril, I decided that its not worth it.
If you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed.
tcrow

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Time to chuck the pistons and sack in a turbo jet... : :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:38 pm

We have blended up to 15% A1 with our plant diesel for over 20years with out any issues. (most injectors are lasting around eight to twelve thousand hours and pumps sometimes require seals after around 15 years as go hard and leak.

My triton gets the odd sniff of it too. 160,000k and no problems touch wood.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby diver albie on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:53 pm

tritonmatt76 wrote:Don't run Jet-A1 in your diesel engine.

Jet A-1 (or DPK Dual Purpose Kerosene) is the military grade of Avtur and has a flash point (around 37-38 deg C) much lower than automotive diesel fuel (around 62 deg C), you WILL damage the engine via pre-ignition, there's also the lack of internal lubrication you will miss out on causing further wear.

Seals will likely also take a beating throughout the fuel system as Jet-A1 contains FSII which is an icing inhibitor due to the lack of heating elements within military aircraft.

in short you are mad if you use this in a motor vehicle- unless its fitted with a turbine engine......

civilian jets use A1, the inhibitor is in Jet B which is cold climate. Military grade is different again, certainty wouldn't use straight A1 in a diesel.

Use to use Avgas (completely different) in my race motors, wow;) the smell, the instant on tap you get in a high compression petrol race engine running that high octane is worth the ridiculous c8st
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:59 am

Diamond DA-42 twin engine diesel powered aircraft run on JetA1, no oil additive. The company that l work for has 3 of them, never had engine issues (only gearboxes :? ).
We often fill our diesel vehicles up with left over JetA1, but not full tanks, 50/50 max doesn't appear to cause any damage.
Many times in remote area's we run our camp diesel generators purely on JetA1 but always add 2T engine oil due low sulphur.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Fuel Systems