Fuel system mods

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Fuel system mods

Postby tritonium149 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:31 am

HI guys,

just curious on some of the fuels systems mods around.

I have heard mention in several threads and elsewhere about the SPV resistor mod.

Is there any information about on what this actually does and the benefits/side effects of using. Im a relative newbie in these matters

Same again for the windbooster systems?

My aim is to lower my fuel usage a bit if i can.

Oh yeah, MY15 Manual GLX <3000Km at this point
tritonium149

Re: Fuel system mods

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Okay well neither of these is a fuel system mod. Some have said the SPV mod has improved economy but that's not one of the purposes for which it is sold.

The resistor mod gets fitted to the MAF sensor which operates on your air intake. Depending on what it detects in terms of temperature the ECU determines whether to send recirculated exhaust gas into the mix. If the temperature is under a certain level it sends no exhaust gas. Which is a good thing since we don't want dirty carbon laden air going into our intake manifolds. The mod operates by causing the ECU to receive a false reading on the temperature. Basically you tell the ECU that it's colder than it really is and the ECU stops sending the dirty stuff.

The windbooster is a signal booster which operates on your accelerator's drive by wire signal. It basically amplifies the signal so that for any given position on the accelerator's stroke the ECU gets a higher signal than standard. This improves acceleration somewhat and in my view makes the auto a much nicer proposition to drive. If anything this will increase your fuel consumption because you will enjoy planting your foot just that little bit more than before.

As for reducing fuel usage, there's not a whole lot of options. Reduce the weight you carry, pump your tyres up harder, compare different brands of fuel until you find the one that runs sweetest for you. Keep the air filter nice and clean. Some have argued that ecutek tunes and engine chips have improved their economy but I have a hard time accepting that.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: Fuel system mods

Postby tritonium149 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:04 pm

ok thanks for that.

not of high importance right now but was curious.
tritonium149

Return to Fuel Systems