Fuel Additive/Injector Cleaner

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: Fuel Additive/Injector Cleaner

Postby Krossbain on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Tried a couple of additives but saw no difference, 200 to 300 ml 2t castrol activ non synthetic 2 stroke definetly quietens motor rattle and stops surging (my SCV is probably on way out) lots and lots of posts here on it... put a good 2 or 3 micron filter in line as well as well and a dose of something to kill algae occassionly. My opinion is a lot of additives are like snake oil to part you from your hard earned cash.
You get what you pay for... thats if your lucky!!
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mnbrodie on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:56 pm

I put diesel power (i think its called that) in my tank every time I fill up, I notice the difference when i use it
mnbrodie

Postby Krossbain on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:39 am

I was probably was a bit harsh there... The difference between good diesel and oils and cheap diesel and oils is the additives so I'm sure there are good ones that make a difference. I just haven't found any that do yet but than I haven't tried many either. A good 2 or 3 micron filter I believe is probably best investment for injector life.
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Krossbain on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:53 am

As for warranty if you had a problem you would be silly to mention it, I'm sure they wouldn't go to trouble of testing fuel for extra additives...
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:10 pm

I use fuel doctor every fill from supercrap. Breaks down water into a soluble oil and passes through the system safely. Water gets in the tank by condensation and some in purchased fuel. Removing this prevents alga growth. Alga blooms can block filters and wear pump and injectors. This product also breaks down existing alga and dirt into micro particles which also passes through the system lubricated safely. A full bottle is needed called a shock treatment if the problem is bad. Only 50ml a tank as preventative.

You can test for alga by smelling your tank for egg gas smell, or your fuel filter when you change it. A kit is available on ebay for an accurate result.

I suspect all fuels may have a similar product added in the additive package but what the hell $2, its like giving my truck a treat like I give my dog a bone. It won;t break any teeth. :)
leonbee

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:38 pm

I ran some injector cleaner a few tanks back but didn't really notice any difference.

Today I loaded 300ml of my Stihl 2S (a Castrol oil) to a full tank and the engine was just so much better within the first two kms of driving. Heaps smoother, more go and the economy gradually improved.

I'm getting more inclined the injector cleaners are a very 'occasional use' product. Just by their nature and probably because a lot of them are mixed up around naphthalene, they don't offer any significant lubrication to the working innards of the fuel system.

Two things that stick out from researching additives and drivers' findings are an increase in the fuel's lube ability and getting some cerium into it are worthwhile benefits.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:46 am

I use the same stuff leonbee. Also add it to equipment that sits for a while without use eg fire pump.
Crash486

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:37 am

There is a rather long thread on adding 2 stroke oil. The general consensus is to use mineral 2 stroke oils suited to motor bike engines JASO FC (or large out board motors) NOT 2 stroke for small garden 2 stroke engines JASO FB

No they're not the same. Castrol 2T is JASO-FB rated which means it's intended for use in your Victa 2 Stroke lawn mower and we all know how filthy black and oily their tiny little 'tight exhaust holes' end up becoming. ... :lol:

Castrol Activ 2T on the other hand is JASO FC rated which means it is extremely low ash forming ie, it's very clean burning and designed for use in modern high speed high power high performance motorcycle engines. .
L200Shogun

Postby leonbee on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 pm

[quote="RHKTriton"]I ran some injector cleaner a few tanks back but didn't really notice any difference.

Today I loaded 300ml of my Stihl 2S (a Castrol oil) to a full tank and the engine was just so much better within the first two kms of driving. Heaps smoother, more go and the economy gradually improved.

Not sure about performance improvements, but if your after a bit more lubrication you can't go wrong with Benol. It's a Degummed Castor oil. You can google the benefits of Castor oil in regards to lubrication and in which Castrol gets its trade name.

Max 100ml per tank will do the job and will not affect any tolerances in fuel pump etc.

Only available from America. You can grab a bottle on Ebay. Link provided. Penrite makes a similar product as a racing oil however it is synthetic blend and not suitable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Klotz-Benol- ... SwMNxXX-16
leonbee

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems