Bad fuel economy

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Bad fuel economy

Postby BC4*4 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi
I have a problem with fuel economy. In the city I get on a full tank about 600km, on the open road it’s only 300-350km. I drive very conservatively stay on around 105km. The car has had a “chip it” chip, 3 inch exhaust and a safari snorkel fitted to it. The tires a factory standard, the car has only done 15000KM it’s a 2010 model auto, I have had a scan gage analyser it and no errors found. Can any one suggest what’s wrong?
BC4*4

Re: Bad fuel economy

Postby trouble on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:18 pm

hole in ya tank??
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby steve1961 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 pm

This probably not going to help as mine is a petrol 3.5 ... HOWEVER on one trip to canberra a year or so ago... out of the blue i fueled up and continued my trip and was shocked to see the fuel warning light come on after only 320 k's ... anyhow the next day in canberra i went to a local dealer ... and they looked at it ... was all secret sqirrels ... but they told me they disconnected the battery and did some reset ... and problem never re appeared
steve1961

Postby borngeek on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:13 am

By the k's you have done I would start by checking your airfilter mate.. Maybe its dirty as those stats are the wrong way round.
City driving clogs them pretty quick especially the stock ones.
Have a think about cleanable aftermarket like K&N or Unifilter.

Plenty can be found searching around here 8-)

//Welcome aboard too :mrgreen: (Sydney man 8-) )
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 am

Jeez that's rough mate.

You weren't towing a caravan on the highway without realising it per chance :lol:

Sorry not funny... :roll:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Bad fuel economy

Postby Ranga Tang on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Handbrake on maybe??

I drove a car for over 100ks with a hand brake on by mistake.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
Ranga Tang

Postby BC4*4 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:36 pm

I have looked at the obvious things, someone suggested that the standard exhaust on most new diesels have an oxygen sensor, as I have upgraded mine to a 3 inch system the guys removing the original one may have cut the wire? Does anyone know if the STD exhaust have such a thing and were would it be so I can have a look?
BC4*4

Postby steve1961 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:40 pm

They sure do have sensors .... and iam guessing this has only happened since you upgraded the exhaust ?
steve1961

Postby BC4*4 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Exhaust one day and the snorkel the next day. When I drove away from the exhaust place it all seemed fine because it was only city driving. The next day when I left ARB they told me to take it easy so the silicone/mastic can dry again city driving. It was a few weeks later when I went to Melbourne I noticed it, at first I put it down to the strong head wind, on the way back same bad fuel economy without the head wind.
BC4*4

Bad fuel economy

Postby fridgie on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:32 pm

fRuItCaKe wrote:Handbrake on maybe??

I drove a car for over 100ks with a hand brake on by mistake.

Bahahahaha Bahahahaha Bahahahaha, oh my I'm crying :lol:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby steve1961 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:39 pm

BC4*4 wrote:Exhaust one day and the snorkel the next day. When I drove away from the exhaust place it all seemed fine because it was only city driving. The next day when I left ARB they told me to take it easy so the silicone/mastic can dry again city driving. It was a few weeks later when I went to Melbourne I noticed it, at first I put it down to the strong head wind, on the way back same bad fuel economy without the head wind.

i would go back to who fitted the exhaust and query then about the sensors and what they done about them ... i remember reading on here sometime in the past ,someone had a similar problem and it was related to exhaust / and sensors ... from memory they had crushed one refitting / removing it
steve1961

Postby BC4*4 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi
Went back to the exhaust place they can’t remember if there was a sensor on the stock pipe. So can someone have a look for me on their stock exhaust and along would it be? Thanks for the help guys
BC4*4

Postby steve1961 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:39 pm

theres a couple of blokes on here that know well where they are and what they do .. you just have to wait until someone sees the thread .. i have the v6 petrol .. i will look if you have the same ... but iam pretty sure the oilers would be different
steve1961

Postby BC4*4 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks
BC4*4

Postby Tony on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Fairly sure you should have an 02 sensor on that one.. I does play a big part with fuel economy in the closed loop mode... This aplies with highway driving.
Also make sure they havent buggerd the maf sensor in the air intake.

Something is very wrong here, I run two tunes higher than folder 2 custom 2 and get 10ltrs/100 with 32" tyres. Do have the stock exhaust though.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Probably left the choke on.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BC4*4 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:16 am

GLX-R MN wrote:Fairly sure you should have an 02 sensor on that one.. I does play a big part with fuel economy in the closed loop mode... This aplies with highway driving.
Also make sure they havent buggerd the maf sensor in the air intake.

Something is very wrong here, I run two tunes higher than folder 2 custom 2 and get 10ltrs/100 with 32" tyres. Do have the stock exhaust though.

I know were the MAF sensor is but how do you check if its working or not?
BC4*4

Postby BC4*4 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:46 pm

I tried an experiment this weekend and turned the snorkel inlet facing the back of the car, and my fuel economy improved. I drove from Sydney to Tamworth on half a tank and retuned 10.3Lt/100Km. On the return trip even better 9.8Lt/100Km. Can anyone shine some light on this, is it getting too much air and the computer just pushes more fuel and that’s why I was getting such bad fuel economy before?
The only problem with the air intake backwards is the noise it makes from the air being sucked into the snorkel.
BC4*4

Postby trouble on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:58 am

BC4*4 wrote:I tried an experiment this weekend and turned the snorkel inlet facing the back of the car, and my fuel economy improved. I drove from Sydney to Tamworth on half a tank and retuned 10.3Lt/100Km. On the return trip even better 9.8Lt/100Km. Can anyone shine some light on this, is it getting too much air and the computer just pushes more fuel and that’s why I was getting such bad fuel economy before?
The only problem with the air intake backwards is the noise it makes from the air being sucked into the snorkel.

Im going to try this, maybe turn the head sideways towards the middle of the car??
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:06 pm

trouble wrote:
BC4*4 wrote:I tried an experiment this weekend and turned the snorkel inlet facing the back of the car, and my fuel economy improved. I drove from Sydney to Tamworth on half a tank and retuned 10.3Lt/100Km. On the return trip even better 9.8Lt/100Km. Can anyone shine some light on this, is it getting too much air and the computer just pushes more fuel and that’s why I was getting such bad fuel economy before?

Im going to try this, maybe turn the head sideways towards the middle of the car??

how you going to see where you are going mate.......... :P :P

i know - Snowman ya BELTER!!!

seriously though i can't see how this rotation can help unless there is a faulty sensor between the airbox and the turbo. It may be overcompensating based on an air pressure. The couple of KPA you would get in the airbox is nothing compared to the 10-15 PSI you get after the turbo.

Check your airbox located sensors. there is a thread - but i have no idea what it was called.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BC4*4 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:09 pm

The only sensor is MAF in the air box that I know of; do I just replace it to eliminate a problem?
BC4*4

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm

have you tried cleaning it first? be careful though it is a sensitive piece of kit apparently.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Bad fuel economy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:21 pm

There's a crc aerosol spray specially made for the task
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby andyj on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Thats because you were going up to Tamworth and back down to Sydney :P
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Bad fuel economy

Postby fridgie on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:03 pm

BC4*4 wrote:The only problem with the air intake backwards is the noise it makes from the air being sucked into the snorkel.

This is a problem?? ;) :twisted: I love the sound....,
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Next

Return to Fuel Systems