My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: My ML reved like crazy blew smoke n died

Postby TUFF TROOP on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:09 am

A Proventil has nothing to do with fuel entering the sump causing a run on.. Doesn't take long for sump to fill up and just go! And go and go haha

Glad that they aren't just giving it back! Better piece of mind for you! Lets hope that same fella doesn't work on the rebuild haha
TUFF TROOP

Postby Tritium on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:34 am

I had a Jackaroo that had leaky injector/line issues - did not suffer runaway but once they started stuffing with the motor it was never right afterwards. Was constantly back into the workshop for warranty repairs. Had to dispose of it at 160k when it did its 2nd head at great financial loss.
After an issue like this, with only 60k on the clock I would not feel comfortable with a rebuild - How long before your head cracks and every thing else that was overstressed during the event starts to fail. How good will they clean out all the oil journals that could be blocked or have metalic debris in them. They will do bare minimum and you won't be able to see what they haven't done.
There may also possibly be some internal poIitics between Mitsubishi and the Dealership over responsibility and cost leading to significant cost mitigation.
I would even consider a low k second hand motor with known history as an option.
Such is Life.
Tritium

Postby billeh66 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 pm

Tritium wrote:I had a Jackaroo that had leaky injector/line issues - did not suffer runaway but once they started stuffing with the motor it was never right afterwards. Was constantly back into the workshop for warranty repairs. Had to dispose of it at 160k when it did its 2nd head at great financial loss.
After an issue like this, with only 60k on the clock I would not feel comfortable with a rebuild - How long before your head cracks and every thing else that was overstressed during the event starts to fail. How good will they clean out all the oil journals that could be blocked or have metalic debris in them. They will do bare minimum and you won't be able to see what they haven't done.
There may also possibly be some internal poIitics between Mitsubishi and the Dealership over responsibility and cost leading to significant cost mitigation.
I would even consider a low k second hand motor with known history as an option.

These are definatly my main concerns, im curious to see what warranty they are going to give on there repairs ( i guess this will be the main factor in deciding wheather to keep it trade it in ). Cant wait to hear from service manager when they get back after new years & see what exactly what the go is. I wish thet still made complete engines and it was just a simple swap out , but the thought of these guys building and engine and replacing only the minimum parts required is scary to say the least :roll:
billeh66

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Who told you they don't still make complete engines? I was sure I'd heard of a few being shipped in.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coxy47 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:46 pm

They will still make them or at least the parts individually because im fairly certain the pajeros still run the 4m41 or some slight variation.
coxy47

Postby MN GLXR on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:17 pm

If this ever happens to anyone, best thing you can do is choke the air intake to stop the engine.
MN GLXR

Postby sierra on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:38 pm

MN GLXR wrote:If this ever happens to anyone, best thing you can do is choke the air intake to stop the engine.

Might be safer to try to plug the tailpipe than to risk wearing a piston?
sierra

Postby fridgie on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:55 pm

sierra wrote:
MN GLXR wrote:If this ever happens to anyone, best thing you can do is choke the air intake to stop the engine.

Might be safer to try to plug the tailpipe than to risk wearing a piston?

Good luck!!! Witnessed a car accident where a bloke hit a power pole and the accelerator jammed at WOT, we ran to assist but couldn't plug the exhaust....blew/burnt straight through a phone book and anything else we put near it (including hands, mate got burnt pretty bad by it exhaust gas) :o by this stage the exhaust was red hot and glowing and thankfully the guy came to and killed the vehicle (drivers side was pinned to the pole so we had no access, shrapnel went flying past us as we stood at the front of a friends place :shock: )

With a snorkel would be the easiest to block off as I wouldn't be lifting the bonnet in that situation, hence the CO2 extinguisher comments above.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby sierra on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 pm

A snorkel would be worth a try if it was well sealed.
It seems strange the ECU throws limp modes for quite insignificant variations in readings but they haven't programmed the throttle valve to shut when the ECU sees the engine destroying itself? :?
sierra

Postby Newguy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:52 am

Bugger, These Big Companies need to be ready for this sort of thing. There should be a new Engine there tomorrow ready to install, factory tested etc.
Newguy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Newguy wrote:Bugger, These Big Companies need to be ready for this sort of thing. There should be a new Engine there tomorrow ready to install, factory tested etc.

good luck with that, took over a week for my stealer to supply a lousy map sensor!
koshari

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Where should this engine be kept? I suppose we'll need one each capital city. Better make sure we have a 3.2 and a 2.5 and a petrol. And a spare of each. And then some spares for those standing by in Adelaide to replace the ones that get used. Now let's do it for the pajeros, challengers, outlanders, asx and so on for what, the last 10 years? Sounds like an awful lot of spare engines sitting around. Good thing real estate is so cheap,

Cowboy Dave

Postby irwazza on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm with new guy, all vehicles still under warranty should have parts available in the country
irwazza

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Parts yes, but a whole engine within 24 hours? No manufacturer is that good.

Cowboy Dave

Postby gauci204 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:04 pm

i reckon a complete engine would take up less space than all the parts to build it would.

i have been to the big warehouse in sydney and it seems a big waste of space, and they hardly carry anything there. when i have been to the local dealer for some parts for the triton, if they dont have them at the dealership, they are usually located in Melbourne, and not in sydney.
gauci204

Postby irwazza on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:33 am

I bet the mines hold more parts for the vehicles they run than Mitsubishi holds for ours in Australia.

Sorry but from my experience my local Mitsubishi dealer is pathetically slow to get parts in. Warranty or no warranty
irwazza

Postby Homer on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:50 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Where should this engine be kept? I suppose we'll need one each capital city. Better make sure we have a 3.2 and a 2.5 and a petrol. And a spare of each. And then some spares for those standing by in Adelaide to replace the ones that get used. Now let's do it for the pajeros, challengers, outlanders, asx and so on for what, the last 10 years? Sounds like an awful lot of spare engines sitting around. Good thing real estate is so cheap,

I think it's a bit of a stretch to ask them to hold a petrol V6 engine....everyone knows they are the pinnacle of Mitsubishi reliability :mrgreen: :twisted:

They should hold numerous troublesome oilers though...especially 2.5's :twisted: :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 am

i'll bet the parts that they 'sell' are well stocked

the parts most often used for 'warranty' would be scarce.

no prizes for guessing why.

costs.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am

Very unfortunate incident, after reading all of the replies I would say, you catch more flies with honey ( untill its time to cut throats ), keeping spare engines well I would say more parts are used than whole engines required, If your car engine is that out of control walk away not worth 3rd degree burns or worse even though its a mitsu. If it was a hilux they suggest throwing on petrol. I hope that everything works out well for you & you just don't accept what you are not happy with. :?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

I assume they're using just in time inventory or similar. It is a common arrangement these days. Hold minimal stock but gear the supply chain so you get the stock when you think you'll need it. Leaves the risks/costs with suppliers etc. We saw how it goes wrong after the tsunami in Japan. Some will remember the great sledging letter to Nissan about part supply problems from a procurement bloke in the mines.

Don't get me wrong, parts delays shit me to tears, but the days of warehouses full of gear on tap are behind us.

I don't think there's any excuses for running out of obvious consumables (I've heard of shortages on fan belts and radiator hoses for example) but I still reckon the idea of replacement motors available at 24 hours notice mentioned above is a pipe dream.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:54 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I assume they're using just in time inventory or similar.

Ahhhh..."just in time" inventory. Bean counters wet dream. The real 3 word description is "never in stock".

The world is wonderful and getting better by the day :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 am

Dealers still manage to get caught out though. There are a couple I've seen unloading old gear on eBay to clear out inventory every now and again.

Cowboy Dave

Postby billeh66 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 am

Ok so now the situation is:

- The peice of metal found in the 2nd cylinder was part of the glow plug which they beleive came off after the car arrived there (who knows)
- They dont beleive the engine was badly damaged.

they are replacing
- 4 glow plugs
- 4 injectors
- 4 fuel pipes
- Head gasket and various other seals related to the job.

I am worried about bearing wear in particular as i think diesel entering in with the oil would somewhat act as a degreasing agent and therefore not lubricate the engine parts combine this with the high revs and thats a very bad combination. :evil: :evil:

What do you guys reckon ?
billeh66

Postby Blue on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 am

I reckon it's time for some professional diesel mechanic advice regarding runaway engines and maybe some legal advice regarding your capacity to reject a less than satisfactory outcome...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 am

Sounds a bit rough
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls