Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby Homer on Fri May 16, 2014 9:10 am

:lol: :lol: that's what happens with simultaneous posts....my you are touchy Snowman :P :lol:

:roll:

RHKTriton wrote:Might be worth giving the MAF sensor a clean and check the MAP hose and port for obstruction to cap it off maxi van.

Also, manually operate the swirl flaps and check this operates smoothly - may give indication of carbon build up.
If it feels OK then disable it.

Don't know about men but with my ml killing this made morning takeoffs so much smoother.

RHKTriton wrote:Bl'dy spell checker - should have read "don't know about mn....."

This is what I posted 'says you' about...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 am

Homer wrote::lol: :lol: that's what happens with simultaneous posts....my you are touchy Snowman :P :lol:

it wasn't a grope mr NRL!!!
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brett Middleton on Sun May 18, 2014 6:00 pm

hookS wrote:Ok guys thanks for info on the MN 2.5 EGR blanking to stop the carbon issue.Viking is correct I have noticed fuel consumption rocket since blanking the EGR and also the feeling your not in overdrive as it sounds over revs and drone sound when at 110kph.The 2.5 but did have more pickup and a little less turbo lag.So do I continue getting Tony resistor or go MRT for ECUTEK tune to mod the EGR from opening through tricking ECU plus getting the power upgrade?Thanks again.

Just to be clear here we dont actually "trick" the ECU we CONTROL the EGR via the custom programming of the ECU
:D
brett Middleton

Postby maxinvan on Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks RHKTriton, yes I replaced the MAF sensor, with one out of a low k wreck, no different so bought a new one, no different, cleaned out the MAP hose. Cleaned the MAF pins with contact cleaner. Not game to start pulling things apart, but after fitting the resistor mod and adjusting the resistance per Tony's instructions the thing seems to be going OK at this stage. A huge thank you to Tony.
maxinvan

Postby 75 vintage on Mon May 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi Guys, i have a 2007 ML that i bought new and am only just realizing the carbon issues. This is showing in surging and power loss plus crap fuel Eco.
Can anyone tel me if this is still being fixed buy Mitsubishi under warranty? I am the first owner of the car and it is supposed to have the 5/10 warranty.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
75 vintage

Postby biggibbo on Mon May 26, 2014 6:16 pm

5yrs on end to end warranty, 10yrs on power train, so it may fall outside depending on technicalities ofthe warranty.

Give it a try, cant hurt
biggibbo

Postby mad992 on Mon May 26, 2014 6:21 pm

75 vintage wrote:Hi Guys, i have a 2007 ML that i bought new and am only just realizing the carbon issues. This is showing in surging and power loss plus crap fuel Eco.
Can anyone tel me if this is still being fixed buy Mitsubishi under warranty? I am the first owner of the car and it is supposed to have the 5/10 warranty.

have you had a good run out of her,any problems :?:
have you only just found out about NTN
mad992

Postby 75 vintage on Tue May 27, 2014 6:49 pm

mad992 wrote:
75 vintage wrote:Hi Guys, i have a 2007 ML that i bought new and am only just realizing the carbon issues. This is showing in surging and power loss plus crap fuel Eco.

mad992 wrote:

Hi madd992
Yes i have had a good run out of her, I had this surging problem about 12 months ago, when i had it serviced it went away, i put it down to fuel filters. it had done 108000klm. Now done 140000 so its not like i do a lot of k's in it. I have had Mitsubishi,s for years and generally they are great but this issue with carbon is disappointing and sounds expensive to fix if they don't fix it.
I have to say that i have been reading up on the price of servicing on these vehicles and i recon they have the wrong badge on the front of them, i am sure they think it a Mercedes.
75 vintage

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Depends on the dealer as to whether they will do anything about it. Some are better than others.

If they won't come at it you could wait til your next valve clearance adjustment and make arrangements to collect the manifold while it's off and then take it home and clean it before giving it back to them to put back on.

In terms of warranty what most were doing was swapping the old style of manifold for a new one, the only different being a sensor location so that the sensor which was sensitive to the carbon buildup was moved further away from the buildup. Not exactly a perfect fix but if you're getting a fresh manifold put on when they do it then you've effectively reset the clock and you can take other measures to avoid future build up.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:38 pm

If the rocker cover and common rail was designed better, removing the inlet manifold for maintenance would at least be easier.

The pain is disturbing the fuel system just to do basic tasks.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:53 pm

So here is my predicament.

I was hoping to install the "Tony Electrickery Mod" this afternoon, however after trying to undo the easier of the two bolts to be able to put a hole in my blank, it has sheared off.

Now I'm at the point of what the hell do I do now? I don't have any easy outs to get the stuck bolt out. I don't know if I can drive around with it like that. I'm basically just pretty peeved.

What is your guidance, oh wise and generous forum gods hahaha!!!
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby biggibbo on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Pull the whole pipe off and then tack a bolt onto the old shaft and back it out slowly. Otherwise a set of easy outs might be worth a try.

Won't hurt it for now to drive it like that assuming the other bolt is still there
biggibbo

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Why would you want to put a hole in it? Tony's mod means that the EGR valve never opens so the blanking plate is extraneous, whether it has a hole in it or not.

Soak it overnight in WD40/CRC and pick up a set of easyouts tomorrow.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:12 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Why would you want to put a hole in it? Tony's mod means that the EGR valve never opens so the blanking plate is extraneous, whether it has a hole in it or not.

Soak it overnight in WD40/CRC and pick up a set of easyouts tomorrow.

I was of the belief that it needs the hole so that I don't get those bloody map pressure codes that take away boost while driving.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby biggibbo on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Just pull the thing out and toss it in the bin. Not needed anymore.
biggibbo

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:35 pm

No need for a gasket in there at all???
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby snowman on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Yes there is
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Is it still there? If not use ya blank and drill a big hole in it like the gasket
biggibbo

Postby Tony on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Stud broken and no drills or easy outs are available, no problem, just stick a nut over the top and weld inside. This will heat the stud and expand it, allow it to cool so contracts again then carefully work it undone. Use a penetrate if available.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Yeah you still need a gasket though

Cowboy Dave

Postby godzilla_rising on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Just quietly I'm going to say that I think it's going to be easier to buy some easy outs as opposed to a welder ;)
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Maybe grab some of that loctite freeze and release while you're there? It's supposed to cool the bolt right down and break the rust/chemical bond in the thread - much the same principle as the heating suggestion above.

Cowboy Dave

Postby godzilla_rising on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:47 am

Looking at the sheared part, it looks more like carbon as opposed to rust but we have the same issues with exhaust ducts on the Orion so is all good. Plenty of WD-40 will be applied and I'll have a look for some freeze/release to five that a go if I'm still struggling.
Godzilla Rising

2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

godzilla_rising

Postby maxinvan on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:49 pm

An old trick for broken studs is to get a thick flat washer the same ID as the broken stud, sit it over the broken stud so you can MIG a good weld on to the stud and washer all the way around it, then weld a nut on to the washer. You can then get a good weld around both the stud and the nut, and the washer completely protects the surface underneath. This will give you the best chance of holding the broken stud for removal.
maxinvan

Postby Tony on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:24 pm

^^^^ is what I do and never fails. 8-) 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls