Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby godzilla_rising on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:10 am

Well the manifold came out in the end...to make it a bit easier either way!!
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Postby geoff_c on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:19 pm

G'day peoples. My MN has been feeling a little down on power of late and the fuel economy has been getting worse so i have had a look past the throttle body and guess what carbon build up. It has only got 67000 on the clock. I am thinking of taking off the manifolds and cleaning them and possibly blanking the EGR. I have a question will unplugging the EGR keep it closed? and cause any permanent dramas? I know it throws a code P0405 which is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation sensor "A" Circuit low." it seems to drive well but haven't had it at highway speeds.

Click to view larger picture

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
geoff_c

Postby Homer on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Have a look at the resistor mod thread would be my suggestion. Tony does pretty much a plug and play version that seems to be popular.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15856&p=418681&hilit=resistor+mod#p418681
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby balistc on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:44 am

So where can I find more info on this tony mod?

All threads I've read seem a little vague on it and my PM to Tony went unanswered.
balistc

Postby Tony on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 am

balistc wrote:So where can I find more info on this tony mod?

All threads I've read seem a little vague on it and my PM to Tony went unanswered.

Just sent you a PM, I must have missed your first one and very sorry for that. :oops:

Anyone who wants my attention quickly, email is best way as PM box always full ( I do try to keep on top of it) and past messages get buried very quickly.

Regards,
Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby balistc on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks Tony, appreciate it :-)
balistc

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Hello Geoff.

What software are you running on the Garmin to monitor engine?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:59 pm

What software are you running on the Garmin to monitor engine?

^^^ X2 please.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby geoff_c on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:41 pm

It's called Garmin Mechanic with Ecoroute HD it is a bluetooth attachment that plugs into your OBD port. I Got it from ebay couple of years ago for about $100. It gives you diagnostic info as well as multiple gauges. Unfortunately you can't use the bluetooth dongle with your phone.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
geoff_c

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Nice 8-)
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby maxinvan on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Please, if you have a with carbon buildup and that's everyone as this problem is a serious design fault - go to the ET Mod Installation topic viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15856&start=175
Page 8 has a comprehensive precis of the whole deal written by Anoldfart and RHKTriton sums it up. Then contact Tony for a cheap and simple solution. It's that easy. maxinvan
maxinvan

Postby 7annos on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi, Neil here from Albany w.a., first post! I have read all 44 pages on this subject, great input from all members! I bought a 08/09 ML at auction last year, done 95k and has early symptoms of carbon build up, bit of surging at low revs when cold, not bad really but seems to be a good time to take action. I mainly posted as I reckon I have a handle on steps to take from the best advice on this forum and have a catch can on order and will be removing inlet manifolds and cleaning which leads me to a product I bought locally called "red baron", 4 litres container and is red in colour, it is a non solvent type of degreaser and I first used it on a MB Vito I have which developed a bad case, in fact terminal, of blow back(the "black death" in MB forum terms!) which caused a build up of carbon gunk so bad that the injectors were seized in the head, cost to repair more than it was worth. I used red baron to clean that gunk away and I swear by its effectiveness, still tedious but works. It seems that a lot of diesel motors develop this from different marques and I am amazed this recycling EGR set up is the best these makers can come up with, surely with 21st century design there must be an effective way to filter or cyclone out the oil and carbon if we must recycle this gunk! making 4wds that only scrape through their warranty before they are shot doesnt make sense to me. Anyway thank you all for the help you have posted here!
7annos

Postby Photoguy1510 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm

I asked in another post as well, does any of you guys use 2stroke oil to help keep things clean?
The VW Toureg has the same issue carbons up every 30K using 5ml/L of 2SO thy go 200K without needing a clean.
Its the first thing im doing to mine starting it on a healthy diet of 2SO been doing it for years in my toy and did it in the defender and on the defender the injectors was the only thing that did not give problems.

2SO cleans the injectors and exhaust.

Only rule is minireal 2SO only FC rated ( low ash ) i buy 20l drum to make it cheaper lets say $2.50 a tank of diesel. Cheap insurance cant hurt the engine as its just oil and a bit of cleaner.
Titanium GLS Triton minus the HT tyres
Photoguy1510

Postby Homer on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:22 pm

People haven't replied because it's been done a LOT on here in many threads Photoguy :) There's one old Fart who simply can't stop talking about it to be honest...

Just click the big red search button and type 2 stroke and you will get maybe 20 pages of threads.

And hate to be a complete bastard but a 3" exhaust on these does absolutely nothing good for them.

And I'd rather require a carbon fix/clean than need a new turbo :shock: I'd consider that a major problem rather than 'the only problem"?

If you want to properly fix the carbon issue, the only way is to stop the EGR from recycling the exhaust back into the intake manifold.
The best, most effective and recent way to do this is by using a resister modification which is cheap as chups. You can read all about it here ;) http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15856

There is also a pre made version available very cheap as well which you will read about in that thread :)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Photoguy1510 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:55 am

Homer wrote:People haven't replied because it's been done a LOT on here in many threads Photoguy :) There's one old Fart who simply can't stop talking about it to be honest...

Just click the big red search button and type 2 stroke and you will get maybe 20 pages of threads.

And hate to be a complete bastard but a 3" exhaust on these does absolutely nothing good for them.

If you want to properly fix the carbon issue, the only way is to stop the EGR from recycling the exhaust back into the intake manifold.
The best, most effective and recent way to do this is by using a resister modification which is cheap as chups. You can read all about it here ;) http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15856

There is also a pre made version available very cheap as well which you will read about in that thread :)

Mm did do a search but for 2SO as we refer to it have found my error (2stroke got it).
Dont know where the 3" exhaust comes from.
Thanks for the link ill have a read on the bypass, coming from toy and defender side its was not an option other than a blanking plate and that caused more issues than solving things. But ill agree best cure has to be to remove it all together ill still add 2SO for the cleaning properties on the injectors.
Titanium GLS Triton minus the HT tyres
Photoguy1510

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Homer wrote:People haven't replied because it's been done a LOT on here in many threads Photoguy :) There's one old Fart who simply can't stop talking about it to be honest...

;) :) :D Did someone just mention my name ;) :) :D and give me an --invitation-- to once more --sing the praises-- of adding a 300ml dose of Castrol 2T FC rated mineral oil based 2 Stroke Oil to EVERY tank-full, refill, of diesel dino jooce..... :?: ;) :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:38 pm

7annos wrote:Hi, Neil here from Albany w.a., first post! I have read all 44 pages on this subject, great input from all members! I bought a 08/09 ML at auction last year, done 95k and has early symptoms of carbon build up, bit of surging at low revs when cold, not bad really but seems to be a good time to take action. Etc, etc, etc, etc, ............. It seems that a lot of diesel motors develop this from different marques and I am amazed this recycling EGR set up is the best these makers can come up with, surely with 21st century design there must be an effective way to filter or cyclone out the oil and carbon if we must recycle this gunk! making 4wds that only scrape through their warranty before they are shot doesnt make sense to me. Anyway thank you all for the help you have posted here!

Hi '7annos' Neil. Mate, what you need to --clearly-- understand, is that ...makers... ONLY interest, ---is--- in getting their respective ...marques... to ...only scrape through their warranty before they are shot....! Their business model's success depends upon them continually selling more, NEW vehicles, as soon as possible.......! Not, in prolonging the ...useful... life-span of --old metal--...! ;) That job, belongs to --us-- the community of --painfully experienced-- Triton owners who have far, far, better things to do with their own hard earned money, than simply handing fist-fulls of it over to the ...makers... at the end of every 5 year warranty period, on the purchase of a brand new model, just because the old one has become too damn un-reliable and too expensive to fix...! :twisted: That's why it's worth, paying a measley $50 subscription fee, to become a 'Platinum Member' of this wonderful NT Forum website, ie, just in order to assist in keeping it going, because the information that's freely given on here, is sure as hell, going to save you a whole lot more than that in just the first year of your membership alone...! ;) :) :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hickswah244 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Hey Guys,

So if im looking at Buying a 2009 MN GLXR auto, the main issue im going to have with it straight away is carbon build up? realistically how long does the entire process take from start to finish to blank the EGR and clean everything? Im not very handy when it comes to diesels but i have a mate who is. This will be my first diesel and i have read a fair few pages of this thread which make me quite nervous about buying a diesel 4x4.

Cheers for the help
Hickswah244

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:35 pm

She's an all day job on the 2.5. If you do it send me a pm and I'll give you the gasket part numbers and a set of instructions that I haven't gotten around to editing yet :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby Gooch on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:19 pm

just sent triton in for 45000 km service seems like the carbon built up problem has hit mine at first thay were trying to charge me to clean it but I told them im not paying as this is a constant issue also thay said u only need throttle body done I told them to do all manifolds as well but looks like there just going to do throttle body this time will this be enough plus add tonys chip or should I demand a full clean first thanks

the offer thing thay are charging me $160 to change power steering fluid I think this is a bit of a joke has anyone else been charged this
Gooch

Postby variflex on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:26 pm

I'd push hard to have them clean both manifolds, Given you only have 45000 on her i'm assuming she is still covered under warranty
Once you get her back chase up the Mod from Tony so that you have no more issues
variflex

Postby Gooch on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:48 pm

just talked to tony chip is getting sorted asap
Gooch

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:01 pm

I reckon you might have a better chance of getting them cleaned at your 60,000 when they have to pull them off to do the valve clearances anyway.

Also worth checking if you still have the old style manifold (mine does) in which case they can swap the old for the new and skip having to clean them. I gather though that you have to report symptoms of carbon buildup to trigger that response.

Cowboy Dave

Postby TUFF TROOP on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm.still yet to see any carbon build up on a mn 2.5 come into work, see heaps of the ml come in with the issues tho
TUFF TROOP

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:30 pm

I must be doing something wrong then as mine is caked in the stuff. 09 model though and old manifold so I guess it's due for some buildup by now.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls