Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby koshari on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:07 pm

TUFF TROOP wrote:I'm.still yet to see any carbon build up on a mn 2.5 come into work, see heaps of the ml come in with the issues tho

Stands to reason given MLs are coming up to 8 years old.
koshari

Postby Photoguy1510 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:12 pm

The new 2.5 has it in the service schedule clean every 60 000km C service. So problem is alive and well. Tomorrow is tony mod day.
Titanium GLS Triton minus the HT tyres
Photoguy1510

Postby Photoguy1510 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:23 pm

Oo crusty the clown, fitted Tony mod went for a nice long drive average fuel consumption reading gone from 7.9l/100km to 12.4l/100km hope its not true and that the lies is fooling the meter either that or the mods out faster than it went in lucky I did not shorten the cable left it so it can be unplugged in a flash. Ill give it a tank or two to check. :?
Titanium GLS Triton minus the HT tyres
Photoguy1510

Postby Homer on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 pm

:lol: It's not the length you know but the girth...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Photoguy1510 wrote:Oo crusty the clown, fitted Tony mod went for a nice long drive average fuel consumption reading gone from 7.9l/100km to 12.4l/100km hope its not true and that the lies is fooling the meter either that or the mods out faster than it went in lucky I did not shorten the cable left it so it can be unplugged in a flash. Ill give it a tank or two to check. :?

The fundamental rule of computing ie, --"sh*t in, equals sh*t out"-- also applies equally as well, to 'computerised' fuel economy / consumption readings... ;) Forget about whatever the "virtual" stuff tells you, and rely instead only, upon the --actual-- amount of dino-jooce that's measured by the servo pump, as you fill up the tank. Try to only refill her from the same servo pump each time, and always for the same number of 'click-offs'. Keep a written record of this over a couple of tankfulls, and you'll then have your "real" economy / consumption figures available, instead of your "i-maginary" ones... :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:27 pm

I fill to the bream and sgake the car and fill again
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:27 pm

I generally just perve on a woman in the service station somewhere (any will do :oops: ) and keep hitting the auto stop until my shoe starts to fill up...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby har05l on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Homer wrote:I generally just perve on a woman in the service station somewhere (any will do :oops: ) and keep hitting the auto stop until my shoe starts to fill up...

I don't think it's fuel filling your shoe homer :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:12 am

Can make two to three litres difference if you don't "burp" the truck when refilling.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PhillipJ on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 am

I installed Tony's mod on Saturday and so far it seems like I'm using about a liter per hundred more fuel but it's noticeably more responsive at low revs.

I'm just going by the dash display so far but that's been quite accurate for me when comparing to pump litres and k's driven. Will have to give it a couple of tanks and calculate them myself to be sure.

I can't get my head around why Tony's mod would make it use more fuel OR make it more responsive all the time. Was the throttle somewhat closed under light loads all the time without the mod?
PhillipJ

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:08 am

From memory, with everything stock, the throttle can be down to about 20% under light load and speeds around 80kph.

Seems counter productive in terms of engine efficiency.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:36 am

I really doubt you're using more fuel. ;-)
Tony's mod stops the pressurised egr gas and swaps it for clean boosted air. However this is only relevant when you're at light throttle inputs like cruising on highways or at idel, the mod has no effect at all when you're hard on the throttle or accelerating because under those conditions the ecu tells the egr valve to close and the throttle plate to open anyway.

You will notice better throttle responses, smoother and more efficient motoring with Tony's mod because it tells the ecu to act in its most effective way under all motoring conditions..ie light throttle and highway cruising with cool, clean boosted air instead of filthy hot pressurised exhaust gas. :grin:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PhillipJ on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 am

I've mostly only driven to the shops and train station so barely over 60km/h and mostly 40km/h up and down hilly streets. Maybe it's all in my head but it seems to feel better on the low-speed flat-to-uphill transition and I wouldn't have thought the throttle was closed there before. I should have checked Torque but the OBD dongle causes a canbus error CEL half the time so I don't usually use it.
PhillipJ

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 am

With the obd causing a cel - I found with mine if I turned off the phone when I got out of the car and didn't reconnect to the Bluetooth til after the engine was running that avoided the problem. The issue seemed to be the dongle still chewing juice when the motor wasn't running causing the ecu/canbus to drop below expected voltage.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:53 am

PhillipJ wrote:I installed Tony's mod on Saturday and so far it seems like I'm using about a liter per hundred more fuel but it's noticeably more responsive at low revs.
I'm just going by the dash display so far but that's been quite accurate for me when comparing to pump litres and k's driven. Will have to give it a couple of tanks and calculate them myself to be sure.
I can't get my head around why Tony's mod would make it use more fuel OR make it more responsive all the time. Was the throttle somewhat closed under light loads all the time without the mod?

For answers to your questions start reading from this page onwards...
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15856&start=175
If you've got masochistic tendencies, start reading from the beginning of that Thread... :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Magoo on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:17 am

200000ks and have lost power again , engine light has come on , and cruise control has stop working I can honestly say this car has been the worst piece of shit I have owned . get block catch can and ball bairing all done and worked well up till now
Magoo

Postby jimbo1 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:57 am

About to pick up new triton - what is this Tony blank I am reading about ?
jimbo1

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:10 am

Egr is a bad engineering decision in diesels. Tony has developed a simple kit to achieve a more elegant approach to shutting down egr, is via the electronics instead of blanking plate.

The sooner you deal with the egr the better your engine life.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:54 am

jimbo1 wrote:About to pick up new triton - what is this Tony blank I am reading about ?

A reseller of it.
http://www.4wdsupplies.com.au/mn-triton ... -resistor/
L200Shogun

Postby Magoo on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Finally bit the bullet and pulled lower manifold off myself and was completely full of crap , found it to be quiet easy job to do and it was well over due . I also had to replace map sensor as it had shit the tin as well . First price at repco was $650 for the sensor but finally got one at kings Mitsubishi Geelong for $205 which was still to dear for what u get but was a lot better than repco. Car is now running down in the 8.8litre to the hundred and a lot more responsive .
Magoo
Magoo

Postby tritonmal on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Reference blocking the egr. Full blank better or 6 mm hole in blank better. ??
tritonmal
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Neither. The electronic option is a more effective approach these days.

Cowboy Dave

Postby GadgetMN on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:49 am

Hey team...
So I've looked around and read up on a few pages and as Shogun said... Head ouchy...

What I can't figure out is how an electronic fix proves more effective than a mechanical one on what my head says is a mechanical process... Not an electronic one!
GadgetMN

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:53 am

The blank causes other issues which the electronic does not. And the EGR is electronically controlled (like most things in the triton) so why not stop it electronically?

Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:14 pm

GadgetMN wrote:Hey team...
So I've looked around and read up on a few pages and as Shogun said... Head ouchy...

What I can't figure out is how an electronic fix proves more effective than a mechanical one on what my head says is a mechanical process... Not an electronic one!

The EGR valve allows exhaust gas to be added to the intake manifold to lower combustion temperatures which in turn lowers NOx gases being produced.

The ECU only allows the EGR to work under certain engine conditions. One of the variables the ECU uses is the temperate in the air box. When the ECU detects low temperature in the air box it it decides that conditions do not need the EGR system to be used. The resistor alters/tricks the ECU into seeing a lower air box temperature. Hence the EGR system will not be used. The ECU will be "happy" and the engine will run as designed.
If you instal a blank it will stop exhaust gases being added. The ECU is expecting them and set engine parameters accordingly. The fact that the engine is not getting the exhaust gases it is expecting means the engine will run in a less then optimal manner. Well that is what I got from the " head hurt" may well be wrong.

This is what Tony once wrote
Re plug and play thing, most report better response, fixes dodgy maf sensor connection issues that these vehicles are notorious for (we've had a lot confirm this) , will keep carbon build up away from inlet manifold, lower EGTs compared to full blank plate, stops annoying hunting/surging on cruise control just to mention a few.

I normally keep a low profile on this, but times have moved on since MMAL's software update on underboost issues over a year ago. Allowing a full blank is only a side effect of the actual reason for the update being barometric pressure differences.

So true the blanking plates seem to run fine these days on the VGT equipped 4D56, but if you look at what happens to the EGTs, Air fuel ratio, fuel economy, cruise hunting etc. I'm not convinced its a good idea anymore. :| I actually threw all my blanks in the recycling ages ago as realized the blanking still upsets the engine management with the negative manifold or lower pressures.
When you tune these great engines, tossing the blank and using the AIT resistor idea makes gains and does so safely.

L200Shogun

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls