Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby L200Shogun on Wed May 30, 2018 4:10 pm

It is mentioned elsewhere on here and you can see for yourself in workshop manual. MN use a temperature probe post inter-cooler for fueling.
L200Shogun

Postby Danos on Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Ok I’ll have a look. I wasn’t contemplating removing it. Just curious on the negative impacts if any.
Danos

Postby jrs184 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:43 am

ls2cruiser wrote:Your truck will start to run like crap. You would have to pull the intake off

I bought a small video camera and fed that down into the intake manifolds a few times, wiping the sludge and oil off it, to get a view before cleaning them. i couldn't get it all the way thru and didn't want to risk it staying down there. I did that and the mod and the catchcan at 100k, which i clean every fortnite and do my fuel adjustment (2T and chemtech) every full tank of fuel and any surging disappeared, the car behaves perfectly, the oil for a diesel is still clean on the dipstick after 10k and I never have to top up more than 500ml between services and i can get in it and drive it for 6500km like on on the last run to Port Douglas and back and the engine runs better than ever. ML 165k no complaints, i will dig out the camera and do a follow up to see how they are after the mod and can, i haven't done it again since that initial peep ...This morning i removed the intercooler ( I had never cleaned it ) to check it for oil/sludge and gave it a flush with petrol, first flush I closed both ends and gave it a good shake and set it aside for a short time to let it soak, a small amount of black gunk was washed out (I bought the car at 100k now it is 165k) same shake and soak again for 2nd and 3rd flush it was clean so i wiped it down shook the remaining fuel out, checked the cores, soft brushed a few insects off and let it dry out for a few hours. Checked inside the intercooler inlet and outlet pipes, there was a film of oil on the inside of the metal 90 degree bend where the metal gasket is, cleaned all that out, wiped the insides of the rubber pipes with a cloth and they were surprisingly clean, so it was worthwhile doing for just the peace of mind that all my intake is nice and clean and is not likely to get oiled up or dirty again probably for the rest of its life...(I guess the metal pipe condensed more mist/vapour than the rubber pipes).
Last edited by jrs184 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrs184

Postby Danos on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:18 am

What is the 2T fuel adjustment you mentioned?
Danos

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:21 am

Danos wrote:What is the 2T fuel adjustment you mentioned?

at a guess viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14320&p=351121&hilit=2+stroke#p351121
L200Shogun

Postby jrs184 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Danos wrote:What is the 2T fuel adjustment you mentioned?

Add some mineral two stroke oil to your fuel, each fill. it lubricates your pump, injectors, scv etc and helps with by a clean burn in the cylinders. The Chemtech is an anti fungus/algae in the tank additive that also helps clean the fuel system and injectors during the burn cycle.
jrs184

Postby Genebaby on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 am

Not too much MQ on here but I assume everyone knows about the EGR delete cable you been buy from Munji 4x4 for the MQ?

Plug and play to stop the build up in the MQ.

I've got one and a catch can to fit on our new Triton when it arrives as we are going to have it for a long time, or at least that's the plan.
Genebaby

Postby Genebaby on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:48 pm

This guy, whoever he is, is really for the EGR.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/201 ... you-money/
Genebaby

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:04 pm

He's talking about petrol engines, not diesel.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Genebaby on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:39 am

Oh, is he? I've only heard about it on Diesels, though I see now it can be used on petrol too. Interesting.
Genebaby

Postby Mayhem2015 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Has anyone used these guys or similar? http://www.enginecarbonclean.com/perth/

Not sure whether it is any better than disassembling and cleaning manually or not. I am keen to clean the manifold and shut off EGR after. Module, catch can, blanking plate or combo. Have not decided yet. There seams to be a few hydrogen based cleaning companies around at the moment.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby jman on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Just had the regular 90k service done thru local dealer (yep still whistling while I walk) and I requested that they clean intake manifold at extra $$. No issues such as some mentioned but just wanted it done for piece of mind on my stock standard MY15 GLXR. They ring me after lunch and say intake so carboned up that they cannot clean it, so they will replace under warranty. They did show me pics of intake they took for MMA but it just looked black like they all do a bit, not full like I have seen others pics. In the end it cost me nothing due to warranty work and the ute definitely goes a fair bit better, even tho no issues with power or economy. Just to get a gauge on the service manager I asked if any benefit to get a catch can and he said "don't bother as it is going thru sweet FA oil" which is true as I have never topped up between reams!

Catch can or not peeps? IDK?
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 pm

jman wrote:Catch can or not peeps? IDK?

Only if you like cleaning out intake manifolds or paying someone to do then yea Adding a catch can has more than proven itself ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Sky Miner wrote:
jman wrote:Catch can or not peeps? IDK?

Only if you like cleaning out intake manifolds or paying someone to do then yea Adding a catch can has more than proven itself ;)

Saves your intercooler being the factory fitted catch can
MilkmanDan

Postby jman on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get onto the merry go round of which catch can. Provent seems to be the goods unless someone can convince me another is as good but a fair bit cheaper. I guess the time is right now after the warranty intake manifold been done. Open to suggestions as I don't have shares in any of these things, nor pretend to be knowledgable let alone an expert!
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby msdavies on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:49 am

Hicko,

how did you go with manifold?

this is my current issue:

I have a MITSUBISHI TRITON GLX (4x4) MN MY14 when driving and reaching approximately 2500-3000 revs the ute will periodically go in to limp mode (traction control lights & engine light comes on). Pull over switch engine off, ute goes out of limp mode but engine light stays on.

P1299 has come up as error code. 2 different mechanics have looked at it.
Mechanics have found:
boost pressure to be lower than target pressure
inline hose filter to be restrictive
boost control solenoid sensor has been replaced
turbo has been cleaned.

Still have same issue. Continuously lags boost at 2500-3000 revs but spontaneously goes in to limp mode when generally going up hill....
msdavies

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:50 pm

jman wrote:Provent seems to be the goods unless someone can convince me another is as good but a fair bit cheaper.

E-bay has plenty of provent 200 knockoff's for around 50 to 60 odd bucks they work well enough you just need to supply ya own hose's n clamps' unless you wanna go the whole hog n go genuine with mounting brackets ect for around 200 to 300 bucks' plus there's plenty of knowledge on here n you-tube on how to install it ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby jman on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks Sky Miner. Wasn't sure if the eBay knock offs did anything strange that might cause problems, forcing one to go the exxy genuine path. Unless someone says don't do a cheapie in the Provent 200 style because of x y z etc. then I will likely go down that path and have a go at the job myself.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby jman on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Just a follow up post. Did some homework and my trusted independent mechanic that has done the minor services (and all future work bar warranty till it runs out) warned me off the cheap knockoff provents. So I went down the path of genuine with full kit incl. mounting brackets and silicone hoses. Very happy with fit, finish and quality of unit. Looks factory and should it really should be done in factory. Thanks for info and helping me see the light! Should have done this earlier, hardly a modded ute but at least I use it a lot off the black stuff.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby Mayhem2015 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Got on with some preventative maintenance over the last couple of week to get the ute ready for a Nullabor run in December. Car is about to tick over 100k so thought I better get on with it to prevent issues. Tasks completed:
1) installed catch can
2) cleaned out intercooler
3) removed and cleaned inlet manifold.

Really not difficult jobs if you take your time and use the workshop manual but I learnt a lot.

Tip for anyone looking at doing the manifold: Look at replacing bolts if the rocker cover or manifold has been off before. Mine obviously had as a couple of the bolts were damaged resulting in one of the 130mm bolt snapping on re-install. Even using the correct settings on the torque wrench!! Bolt was fractured so couldn't put up with correct tightening. In the end a new set of bolts accross the whole top was only $30 so it is cheap insurance.

I ended up having to take my ute to the mechanics to take the rocker cover off and remove snapped bolt. Cheap job started to cost a bit of money in the end but I am glad it is all done now and done properly.
Mayhem2015

Postby colin b on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Does anyone know if Tony from SPV Industries is still around?

I have sent two emails enquiring about his plug and play E.G.R. blocking device and have not had a reply yet. Failing that,is there an alternative supplier of this device?
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby explorer.dave on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 pm

colin b wrote:Does anyone know if Tony from SPV Industries is still around?

I have sent two emails enquiring about his plug and play E.G.R. blocking device and have not had a reply yet. Failing that,is there an alternative supplier of this device?

You can get them from Chip Tuning.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby colin b on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Thank you Dave. I will let you know how I go.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby Mayhem2015 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Also Munji do one. They are online. $130 I think.
Mayhem2015

Postby Mozzie20 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:45 pm

jman wrote:Just had the regular 90k service done thru local dealer (yep still whistling while I walk) and I requested that they clean intake manifold at extra $$. No issues such as some mentioned but just wanted it done for piece of mind on my stock standard MY15 GLXR. They ring me after lunch and say intake so carboned up that they cannot clean it, so they will replace under warranty. They did show me pics of intake they took for MMA but it just looked black like they all do a bit, not full like I have seen others pics. In the end it cost me nothing due to warranty work and the ute definitely goes a fair bit better, even tho no issues with power or economy. Just to get a gauge on the service manager I asked if any benefit to get a catch can and he said "don't bother as it is going thru sweet FA oil" which is true as I have never topped up between reams!

Catch can or not peeps? IDK?

Hi I've just had the same service completed on my Triton and being a new owner I've been trolling this place for days reading and thinking. RHKTriton gave me some advice on keeping manifold clean. After reading your acticle I'm going to ask dealer about this as my car is still under warranty as well. Is the carbon build up more prone to cars driving around town as opposed to long highway runs???
Triton 2014 MY15 GLX-R
Mozzie20

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls