Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Ada wrote:I'm going to fit a EGR blank and a CHIPIT.

Put the blank in, if you like. There's no way anything can get through, then.

But spend another $50 and put Tony's mod in as well. This will mean no codes and it definitely smooths the performance out.

mitzikatzi wrote:MRT tunes address the carbon build up issue.

Admittedly I'm a relative diesel newbie since both my Tritons were V6s. But I don't recall ever having heard of this before. How?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:40 pm

It is explained in the thread I linked to. You just program to have the EGR valve closed above 10% throttle opening.
mitzikatzi

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 pm

I wouldn't be 100% confident on MRT tuning out all EGR. To answer the original question a chipit will stop the codes that a blank might potentially produce and you will get extra power and tuneability. If you just want to stop carbon though then the maf mod is a whole lot cheaper than a chipit chip is and even cheaper compared to the MRT tune approach.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Ada on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:33 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:I wouldn't be 100% confident on MRT tuning out all EGR. To answer the original question a chipit will stop the codes that a blank might potentially produce and you will get extra power and tuneability. If you just want to stop carbon though then the maf mod is a whole lot cheaper than a chipit chip is and even cheaper compared to the MRT tune approach.
Cowboy Dave

Looking at the MAF Mod, I believe that it has limitations in cold weather and high altitude. Both will affect my car.

Your thoughts.?

Cheers
Ada

Postby viking shippy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:13 am

Ada wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:I wouldn't be 100% confident on MRT tuning out all EGR. To answer the original question a chipit will stop the codes that a blank might potentially produce and you will get extra power and tuneability. If you just want to stop carbon though then the maf mod is a whole lot cheaper than a chipit chip is and even cheaper compared to the MRT tune approach.
Cowboy Dave

Looking at the MAF Mod, I believe that it has limitations in cold weather and high altitude. Both will affect my car.

Your thoughts.?

Cheers

The maf mod tricks the ecu into believing its cold shouldn't be a prob....
If you have problems just unplug it....
viking shippy

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 am

Both the resistor mod and Tony's Mod trick the ERG valve to remain closed 100% of the time.

The parameters in the engine management program can be changed so that the valve stays closed whenever the tuner decides.

From watching the MRT Performance youtube videos. They have been tuning high performance cars for a very long time. They have been tuning Tritons for a number of years, since ML's and a staff member owns a development car. They also race a turbo diesel. I can only assume that when they choose to let the ERG valve operate at low throttle settings they have good reason to do so. To remain emission complaint? (that is a question I don't know)

I believe (happy to be show i am wrong) that modifying the emissions you you car is illegal. A custom tune can make your car fail emission testing.
mitzikatzi

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 am

My comments above on MRT are based on some fairly dated experience of members being told egr had been written out in the tune but testing showing it still functioned at times.

For Ada I think it was, how high and how cold I think might be the questions? You'd be best off talking to Tony about it as he knows what's what, but also he can sell you a mod version that you can switch off - so as an example he might tell you that if outside temps are below zero you can switch it off as the ecu will not be demanding egr anyway.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 am

I should probably add that there have been a few reports of MNs behaving strangely at altitude. Mine doesn't do it thankfully but every now and then you hear about it - this is before any maf mods I am talking about.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Ada on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 am

Cowboy

The temp where I live falls to around 0 in the winter mornings, and I tour the high country often. Dose this mean it will play up?
Do you have a user name/contact for Tony I had a look but no luck.

Cheers
Ada

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:50 am

These days it's just Tony.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3464

tony@spvindustries.com is the email I think.

I can't say one way or the other, I'm not across the detail of it enough. I think you're probably okay until below zero but I'm honestly not sure. Tony will know though. Keep in mind that he's a farmer by day (and night) and generally busier than a one armed paper hanger so it sometimes can take a couple of days to get a response.

Cowboy Dave

Re: Any issues with manifold clogging up on new 2013 tritons

Postby 09glxrtriton on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:45 am

Hay mate , i was wondering how you went with this problem, see i just brought the 09GLXR and its got this serving/sluggish problem around 2000rpm ! now ive done a little bit of research and ive been told a few things.
intake manifold carboned up, and told i should turn off the egr sensor , and wd40 the terminal that is attached to the air box filter. change fuel fitter and add injector cleaner! it seems like a common problem so im not sure what to do, its still under warranty but they haven't fixed it for the first owner so i was gonna do it myself.. any info would help
cheers Zeek..
09glxrtriton

Postby hvac guy on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:46 pm

All common rail turbo diesel engines suffer from this with egr systems.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitzikatzi on Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:19 pm

09glxrtriton wrote:Hay mate , i was wondering how you went with this problem, see i just brought the 09GLXR and its got this serving/sluggish problem around 2000rpm ! now ive done a little bit of research and ive been told a few things.
intake manifold carboned up, and told i should turn off the egr sensor , and wd40 the terminal that is attached to the air box filter. change fuel fitter and add injector cleaner! it seems like a common problem so im not sure what to do, its still under warranty but they haven't fixed it for the first owner so i was gonna do it myself.. any info would help
cheers Zeek..

If your manifolds are "carboned up" then you need a bit more than a can of injector cleaner.

This might help

The Stealer should fix it under warranty.

If you spend some time on here searching there are ways to stop the carbon build up.
mitzikatzi

Postby BMGTZ on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi People, ....new to diesel Tritons but not to tritons having owned an MK V6 for 15 years. My brother in law has an MN 2.5 and we have had a read of a thread on the ball bearing mod and concluded that can be done on his vehicle. we are now considering the egr blank and the wxhaust manifold and seek experienced comment on what works best...size of hole in the plate etc. any help appreciated as Ive trawled through several threads but not found the info which malkes me confident to start pulling it apart,
BMGTZ

Postby aids84 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:41 pm

^^ That video has so much wrong info in it.

1: EGR is not there so "unburnt fuel" is recirculated through the engine to improve fuel economy. It's sole purpose is to lower EGT's so there are not as many harmful oxides of nitrogen (NOX) being produced.

2: The throttle body on a diesel is not there to control engine output like in a petrol engine. It is there to create manifold vacuum to allow the engine to draw more exhaust gas from the EGR system.

3: Diesel have always been direct injected, from that video we are led to believe that diesels were once port injected at the manifold as in a petrol engine. This would give no control over igntion timing.

Pretty funny coming from someone who's supposed to know what they're on about
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bigbirdalx on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:44 pm

BMGTZ wrote:Hi People, ....new to diesel Tritons but not to tritons having owned an MK V6 for 15 years. My brother in law has an MN 2.5 and we have had a read of a thread on the ball bearing mod and concluded that can be done on his vehicle. we are now considering the egr blank and the wxhaust manifold and seek experienced comment on what works best...size of hole in the plate etc. any help appreciated as Ive trawled through several threads but not found the info which malkes me confident to start pulling it apart,

Been said hundreds of times. MNs which had a update about a year ago to ecu dont throw low boost codes so a full blank with no holes is fine
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby Homer on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Be kind to him, he's had a completely trouble free V6 all his life...these problematic diesels are enough to do anyone's head in with the hundreds of pages in tens of threads about what you need to modify on these things to get them to run reasonably reliably or well ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby har05l on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Is there any way Homer that on the 1st page the most common answers and solutions be embedded for both the ML and MN :?: this would make for easier answers for new members instead of trying to read 40+ pages.

I know it would be extremely time consuming but just an idea ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:01 pm

aids84 wrote:^^ That video has so much wrong info in it.

1: EGR is not there so etc...
2: The throttle body on a diesel is etc,,,
3: Diesel have always been direct injected, etc...

x2 on all of your points 'aids84' ... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:00 pm

har05l wrote:Is there any way Homer that on the 1st page the most common answers and solutions be embedded for both the ML and MN :?: this would make for easier answers for new members instead of trying to read 40+ pages.

I know it would be extremely time consuming but just an idea ;)

That's what we tried to do in this thread: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4813&hilit=blocked+egr#p15794

And Tex had a swing at it here as well: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7472

Cowboy Dave

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:37 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
aids84 wrote:^^ That video has so much wrong info in it.

1: EGR is not there so etc...
2: The throttle body on a diesel is etc,,,
3: Diesel have always been direct injected, etc...

x2 on all of your points 'aids84' ... ;)

Agreed. A lot of bullshit in that clip. "Oil mist from the crankcase improves fuel economy.....".
While this may actually be true, the net effect would be so small that you could not quantify the benefit.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Sorry about that cd, I wasn't aware :oops:

I guess it'll be a topic that's asked time and time again along with many other things :roll:

I pity you poor bastard mods, rather you than me keeping it sorted :)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hookS on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:46 am

So did I read this whole 43 odd pages to be able too put EGR full blank in my new November 2013 MN 2.5 Triton without the engine lights and limp modes problems?Also what about EGT with doing this blank mod?Sorry for asking these questions,but was about to purchase Tony resistor mod loom.Thanks for your reply on this big carbon issue.
hookS
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:46 pm

I have a January 2013 MN GLXR and fitted the blank from day one, just the blank, no Tony resistor mod ....
Never an issue. No limp modes, just better turbo spooling and the knowledge my engine is keeping clean.
Buy the blank, fit it - and smile :D
cheers, Rod
then go to MRT and have an ECUTEK done and really SMILE!!! :D :D :D :D

hookS wrote:So did I read this whole 43 odd pages to be able too put EGR full blank in my new November 2013 MN 2.5 Triton without the engine lights and limp modes problems?Also what about EGT with doing this blank mod?Sorry for asking these questions,but was about to purchase Tony resistor mod loom.Thanks for your reply on this big carbon issue.
rodeddy

Postby aussie56 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 pm

I have skimmed over these 42 pages and not sure if it was brought but I have a 2009 ML 2.5 diesel auto with 105k and already have had the manifold changed out to the newer one 10k ago but am now experiencing the surging at about 60-70km range and won't go past that speed.

I have it booked in with a local mechanic this week but wanted to see If I could have a solution for him before I get charged a bucket load.

I am not very good when it comes to newer cars, my experience is old carby cars with the only electronics being the alternator, starter motor and dizzy.

Thanks
Adam
aussie56

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls