Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby hicko on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:35 pm

I am starting to read more and more problems caused by carbon build up, and the latest is "patto’s" shut down at Fraser. Not good.
I thought I would start a thread, so we can comment and share fixes.
I’ll start with my fix today.
I’ve just clocked 75000kms and had the carbon cleaned once before. Today under moderate acceleration on the way to work, at about 80kms the Triton lost power and engine light came on. I couldn’t go past 80kms and 2000rpms. As I was on the highway and the traffic was only travelling at that speed I continued on, with not far to go to work.
Once there, up came the bonnet for a visual check of vac hoses and alike, all seemed well. Then I remembered reading how carbon had blocked the turbo boost control tube on "madpyro" Triton and was causing surging.
So on the off chance that this could be the problem I removed the tube that goes to the turbo boost regulator on the passenger side of the car and push a small piece of wire through the hole going into the intake manifold. There was slight resistance and on removal the wire was heavily coated with oily carbon. Two or three more goes and the carbon was clear of the hole. I replaced the hose, the Triton started fine and revved okay again. Within 10kms of driving the engine check light went out and 200kms later no troubles.
I am considering removing the intake manifold myself to see how much carbon is in there. This may have to be a regular maintenance thing for me to do in the near future. I have already had trouble with the dealer not cleaning the air filter during servicing so I’m not keen on trusting them on this one.
Hicko
Remember we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors
We borrow it from our children

My best day at work is still not as good as my worse day fishing
“Aren’t you wishing you were fishing “
hicko

Re: Carbon build up its everyone’s problem.

Postby Racer on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Hicko, I use Chemtech Diesel Power additive, do you think this will help the fight against carbon build up?

Chemtech is a reliable product and it promotes cleaner burnings etc...I am not really up that much with the operations of a Diesel....2 Stroke...thats another story ;)
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby subi_man on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Freestylecab has had a newly designed replacement manifold fitted (the new one apparently has a new location for the turbo boost pressure sensor so it doesn't get blocked by carbon deposits).

Today mine is in overnight for 60,000km service and carbon buildup check - will report back when I pick it up. I was having a hard time convincing the dealer there is a new manifold available (or they are playing dumb) - I do not understand why this particular dealer is reluctant to admit to and carry out warranty work :roll:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby rick on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 pm

i know what ya mean, its not like they dont get paid for it :roll:
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby FreestyleCab on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Who do we sue? The car companies for releasing diesel engines that don't like Aussie diesel....or the fuel companies for selling the shittiest diesel in the western world??
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby trouble on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 am

Im off the Cape York in July I am starting to worry about the carbon problem, I dont want this to happen while Im in the middle of no where with wife and 2 kids!

I have only done about 3000ks however will be getting up to the 7000ks by the time I get to the top or there abouts, should I be getting this looked at b4 I leave, or do I just do what Hicko did and stick a small piece if wire up the hose to fix it if or when it happens?

Or do I start using the Chemtech additive like racer?
Or do not worry about it?

Is this a problem that all stealers know about or should know about?
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Racer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 am

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showt ... hp?t=62935

See here for discussion on Chemtech Trouble....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby trouble on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:12 am

Ta Racer :)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Buzzy on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 am

Subi,
I was told by my bitsofshitty service guy yesterday that the replacment manifold is BS.
He said what they do is replace the inlet section of the manifold or something, not the entire manifold itself. (excuss my ignorence here as I havent had a look to see exactly what hes talking about :oops: )

Also they wont just go ahead and do it. They must first determine if they think its causing a problem, only then will they go ahead and repalce anything bla bla bla!
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby trytin on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 am

Forgive my dumbness but can we get some pictures of where the pipe is and also Hicko why did you replace the hose? Was it full of crap as well?
trytin

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:24 am

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is running BioD blend like Gull's (up to 20%). Anyone who knows what they are doing is welcome to inspect the inlet manifold of mine, I've run ours on it since new, just hit the 35k mark without surging etc everyone else is complaining about.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:07 pm

You keep talking about that fish and chip oil you pour into yours Jits. :)

I think it might be time it was investigated seriously.

I had been having a bit of buyers remorse over my petrol decision and would have gone oiler if I had my time again, what with all the mods the diesels have available and the fuel economy.
But seriously for the last week or two I wouldn't change for anything. There just seems to be too many carbon and consequent electrical problems using our shit diesel.

I thought they were the same as the first DID Pajero and I never heard of these problems with them - but I haven't been a member of the Paj forum for years.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Homer,
The origional Pajero 3.2 engines are the same block as ours 4M41 but they were direct injection where ours are commonrail. I suppose its here somewhere that the problem is :?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:47 pm

trytin wrote:Forgive my dumbness but can we get some pictures of where the pipe is and also Hicko why did you replace the hose? Was it full of crap as well?

trytin, the pipe runs from a small sensor on the passenger side firewall, down to the inlet manifold on the same side of the engine (circled in yellow behind that bundle of wiring). The small alloy nipple coming off the manifold is what gets blocked from the inside. I don't think hicko replaced the actual hose with another, he just re-placed it back on.

Cheers

Click to view larger picture
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby Racer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Phuck Subi....do you wash it in Red Dirt?
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Buzzy wrote:Homer,
The origional Pajero 3.2 engines are the same block as ours 4M41 but they were direct injection where ours are commonrail. I suppose its here somewhere that the problem is :?

Thanks Buzzy :oops: I haven't been following diesels for a long time until I got on here. Then I found out they are race cars now!

I didn't even test drive the diesel, just bought another petrol 'cause my MK was so good. I keep telling my guys at work about the 6 P's... a classic case of do as I say, not as I do by the looks of it. :oops:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Just had call from dealer that ute is ready. On top of 60K service, the inlet manifold was removed for inspection, improved one fitted in its place and the ECU reflashed. I can't get a lift till tomorrow to pick it up, but I'll post up a pic of any differences I can see.

Racer wrote:Phuck Subi....do you wash it in Red Dirt?

I always thought regular mud-packs were good :lol: :lol:
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby dueble on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Had my inlet manifold replaced yesterday, drives like a different car. Not sure if the manifold is different, will have a look.
funnily the gear changes are a lot smoother, before yesterday it was not difficult to get into gear but was not the way it should be. i have not had the chance to check if the clutch is boosted by the vacuum from the inlet manifold yet but maybe that line was blocked too. Or I am just kidding myself.
dueble

Postby dueble on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:14 pm

dueble wrote:Had my inlet manifold replaced yesterday, drives like a different car. Not sure if the manifold is different, will have a look.
funnily the gear changes are a lot smoother, before yesterday it was not difficult to get into gear but was not the way it should be. i have not had the chance to check if the clutch is boosted by the vacuum from the inlet manifold yet but maybe that line was blocked too. Or I am just kidding myself.

Was kidding myself, no vacuum to the clutch but the new manifold fitted is different. the boost sensor hose does connect up to a different place. will try and post a pic if anyone is interested.
dueble

Postby sam on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Just had mine done today and have just got home and as dueble said drives HEAPS better ,more responsive and goes a bit harder as well :D

Had a look at the old primary intake they replace and even though I've run Nulon Diesel inject cleaner from day one it was pretty carboned up in there :o :shock:

Also had rear U bolts replaced as well :)
sam

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:39 pm

Homer wrote:You keep talking about that fish and chip oil you pour into yours Jits. :) I think it might be time it was investigated seriously.

:evil: OI!!! :evil: just for the record... it's not fish and chip oil. It's nice, squeeky clean bio-d :mrgreen: . Better than that engine solvent :o you run in yours :lol: :lol: :lol:. Give me an oil burner any day. I had a good old belly laugh at the petrol prices this easter...
But, I've had no problems with carbon build up.... yet.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby gfm_69 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Is the replacement inlet manifold replaced as a factory recall? What has caused this to come about?
gfm_69

Postby sam on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:20 pm

gfm_69 wrote:Is the replacement inlet manifold replaced as a factory recall? What has caused this to come about?

They are doing it on an as needs bacis for vehicles that are experiencing problems so they informed me when mine was done ;)
Sounds like they will be doing a few :shock:
sam

Postby dueble on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:00 pm

new manifold fitted under warranty, you can see where the turbo boost sensor is connected.
Click to view larger picture
dueble

Postby madpyro on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Here is a pic of the new inlet pipe
madpyro

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls