Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:19 pm

rodeddy wrote:I have a January 2013 MN GLXR and fitted the blank from day one, just the blank, no Tony resistor mod ....
Never an issue. No limp modes, just better turbo spooling and the knowledge my engine is keeping clean.
Buy the blank, fit it - and smile :D
cheers, Rod
then go to MRT and have an ECUTEK done and really SMILE!!! :D :D :D :D

hookS wrote:So did I read this whole 43 odd pages to be able too put EGR full blank in my new November 2013 MN 2.5 Triton without the engine lights and limp modes problems?Also what about EGT with doing this blank mod?Sorry for asking these questions,but was about to purchase Tony resistor mod loom.Thanks for your reply on this big carbon issue.

Do the tony mod mate drives a whole lot smoother uses less fuel and EGTs will be down
viking shippy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 pm

aussie56 wrote:I have skimmed over these 42 pages and not sure if it was brought but I have a 2009 ML 2.5 diesel auto with 105k and already have had the manifold changed out to the newer one 10k ago but am now experiencing the surging at about 60-70km range and won't go past that speed.

I have it booked in with a local mechanic this week but wanted to see If I could have a solution for him before I get charged a bucket load.

I am not very good when it comes to newer cars, my experience is old carby cars with the only electronics being the alternator, starter motor and dizzy.

Thanks
Adam

ML 2.5? Is that a non-turbo or something? Doesn't sound right.

It would have to be an awful lot of carbon for it not to be able to drive faster than 60-70kmh.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:55 pm

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter, or, to put it another way, how many tank refills of 'contaminated' fuel have you had in it since then... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:57 pm

I would have guessed he'd get it done at the same service as the new manifolds (ie 10K kms ago) but who knows these days? The surging is one thing but not going over 60-70 kms would have to be a pretty massive fuel blockage.

Cowboy Dave

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I would have guessed he'd get it done at the same service as the new manifolds (ie 10K kms ago) but who knows these days? The surging is one thing but not going over 60-70 kms would have to be a pretty massive fuel blockage.

Agreed CD, but, -when- was the fuel filter -known- to have last been changed.... :?: If it was, done only recently then it's gonna be less likely to be the cause unless, 'aussie' has been refillin his tank from some very dirty little diesel holes... :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aussie56 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Yes it is the turbo diesel.

With those thoughts maybe it is the fuel filter I'm not sure it is was changed at the 90k service as I bought it after that.

It only just started doing it 2 weeks ago after a fill up at my local coles shell, which I have filled up from there regularly. So maybe the fuel filter and a bad tank full may have contributed at once.

Guess best beg will be to drain tank and replace filter.

Thanks for the replies.
aussie56

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I wouldn't go as far as draining the tank mate. Whack a new filter in and if it goes better you've picked it. If it doesn't then you won't have wasted a tank of fuel on the wrong call. Last time I looked the filters are cheaper than a tank of diesel.

I'm still a bit confused about how you can have an ML GLXR with a turbo 2.5 in it. Last I heard there was no such animal, not in Australia anyway. ML should have a 3.2 and MN should have 2.5. Then the photo in your avatar looks like the GLS fastback or whatever they called it (a fairly rare animal).

Cowboy Dave

Postby har05l on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I'm still a bit confused about how you can have an ML GLXR with a turbo 2.5 in it. Last I heard there was no such animal, not in Australia anyway. ML should have a 3.2 and MN should have 2.5. Then the photo in your avatar looks like the GLS fastback or whatever they called it (a fairly rare animal).

If your heads spinning now CD go check his shed, says it's a 2008 model :? :? :lol:

Bloody Qlders is all I can say :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hookS on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:09 am

Ok guys thanks for info on the MN 2.5 EGR blanking to stop the carbon issue.Viking is correct I have noticed fuel consumption rocket since blanking the EGR and also the feeling your not in overdrive as it sounds over revs and drone sound when at 110kph.The 2.5 but did have more pickup and a little less turbo lag.So do I continue getting Tony resistor or go MRT for ECUTEK tune to mod the EGR from opening through tricking ECU plus getting the power upgrade?Thanks again.
hookS
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:35 am

Well one is $50 and one is somewhere between $1,500 & $2,000 last time I heard. But the MRT thing is a whole different level of thing - bit like a sledgehammer to crack a peanut IMHO.

Cowboy Dave

Postby hookS on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 am

Thanks Cowboy yea Resistor mod 50 but I suppose by the time you fit a performance chip of quality, be up there with MRT tune any way.Yep 50 bucks to stop carbon build up, :D and stop fuel consumption getting to high :D, and motor run smoother way to go. :D .
hookS
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aussie56 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 am

har05l wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:I'm still a bit confused about how you can have an ML GLXR with a turbo 2.5 in it. Last I heard there was no such animal, not in Australia anyway. ML should have a 3.2 and MN should have 2.5. Then the photo in your avatar looks like the GLS fastback or whatever they called it (a fairly rare animal).

If your heads spinning now CD go check his shed, says it's a 2008 model :? :? :lol:

Bloody Qlders is all I can say :twisted:

Sorry haven't updated my shed since I bought this one, that was my old GLX-R petrol, the photo is my avatar just looks nice :)

OK my car is GLX 4x2 diesel Dec 08 build 09 rego, the plate says 4D56 engine so I am totally lost.
Model # ML0H47043007M09

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this. :? :? :? :?
aussie56

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 am

2wd are 2.5 engine
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:08 am

They had a different turbo though didn't they? And not the so called "high power" 2.5 that the MN 4x4s have?

Cowboy Dave

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am

Correct CD only 100kw I think too
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 pm

I had an interesting exchange of words with our local mitsi stealer today, primarily i was there to get some warranty loving for my peeling leather on the steering wheel and to have them repair the bonnet where the clips for the stone guard have chewed through the paint to bare metal, while the hood was open I asked if I had the upgraded manifold and apparently I do and I aired my concerns in regards to servicing and carbon build up. the service manager said it was now policy to exchange manifold heads every service on tritons as a solution to the build up, I was some what skeptical and surprised by this and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this ?

Mojo.. :| :|
Monkeyz

Postby Mitch774 on Sun May 11, 2014 5:46 pm

hey guys. I bought my ML at 142,000 and have done 30,000 since and am going to pull the inlet manifold off to give it a clean as soon as tonys mod has arrived.

Here's what my egr valve currently looks like, would you say I'm right in assuming the inlet is going to be pretty gunked up?

Click to view larger picture
Mitch774

Postby jjj on Sun May 11, 2014 10:20 pm

Diesel fuel I am getting is pretty much crap. I carry a spare
filter with the car now. Most of my mate's with hilux, cruisers are doing the samething. If the engine is not surging at light throttle, then the

manifold is still breathing ok
jjj

Postby maxinvan on Fri May 16, 2014 7:10 am

I have an MN with 152000 k on the clock. I bought it at auction just out of warranty. It is an auto and I have had surging problems, intermittent power loss and black smoke since day 1. I have never been able to use the cruise control because of the surging. The dealer told me the car has the old type intake manifold and quoted me approx $1100. To fix it. I could not afford that.
I fitted Tony's little modification on Tuesday, The car is a different vehicle now a pleasure to drive, what a relief.
maxinvan

Postby RHKTriton on Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 am

Might be worth giving the MAF sensor a clean and check the MAP hose and port for obstruction to cap it off maxi van.

Also, manually operate the swirl flaps and check this operates smoothly - may give indication of carbon build up.
If it feels OK then disable it.

Don't know about men but with my ml killing this made morning takeoffs so much smoother.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri May 16, 2014 7:31 am

Bl'dy spell checker - should have read "don't know about mn....."
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri May 16, 2014 7:57 am

maxinvan wrote:I have an MN with 152000 k on the clock. I bought it at auction just out of warranty. It is an auto and I have had surging problems, intermittent power loss and black smoke since day 1. I have never been able to use the cruise control because of the surging. The dealer told me the car has the old type intake manifold and quoted me approx $1100. To fix it. I could not afford that.
I fitted Tony's little modification on Tuesday, The car is a different vehicle now a pleasure to drive, what a relief.

even if the manifold is blocked it wont cost that to fix. i had mine cleaned on the ML for $600 by a mechanic.

use and search this website for all your triton problems because (unless under warranty) you will save a lot of coin for some issues.
Last edited by snowman on Fri May 16, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: says you :P
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Fri May 16, 2014 8:05 am

get the hell out of here your petrol sniffing wally. you cant even buy a petrol motor anymore.

i'll bet you keep dragging up stories of woe from your childhood. move on. :roll: :roll:

i'll report both of these posts to a moderator.....oh, that's funny, you are .......... :roll:

// :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri May 16, 2014 8:13 am

snowman wrote:i'll report both of these posts to a moderator

Me! Pick me! ....or Salt. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls