Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: Carbon build - up its everyone’s problem.

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:25 pm

As well as all of the obvious benefits offered by stopping the feedback of manifold and engine choking carbon soot, most who have done the 'resistor' electronic EGR mod or, fitted Tony's EGR kit, also report seeing a slight improvement in the way of reduced fuel consumption and vehicle driving performance as well, so, what's not to like about it, in preference to mucking around with blanking plates..... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:05 pm

I think that as we now have the superior fix for the carbon issue the references to blanking plates and associated related should be archived away, as they are now redundant.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby oss on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:24 pm

does anyone know if you have to torqe the nuts on the manifold?
oss

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:41 pm

These are for the MN 2.5:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ozbogan on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:29 am

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the Tony module is compatible with the PC Challenger?

Thanks!
ozbogan

Postby Jerry Hatrick on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:47 am

ozbogan, I know they have them for the PB Challenger but no idea about PC .
best to pm Tony
Jerry Hatrick

Postby srb on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:51 am

Yes they're 100% suitable for the PC Challengers.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 2jzzzz on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:55 am

Is the order of effectiveness still Tony's Module, then resistor mod and last the blank plate?
2jzzzz

Postby murwullambah on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:36 pm

I did the blank first ran ok no check engine lights seemed to drive the same, i recently did the resister mod still drives good and fuel consumption is less down to 10l/100 general driving, auto with 175000 kms on it . I have left the blank in for the moment, do see any reason to take it out.
murwullambah

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:48 pm

If you were to order in terms of effectiveness then the blank plate would be first. It's blanked so nothing can get through. However, on some vehicles the blank plate can cause problems, so while it's 100% effective, it isn't necessarily the best solution.

Tony's mod works 100% on 99% of vehicles, it's quick, easy and removable. I'd say it would be the best choice. Because the ECU is dealing with expected conditions many people report slight improvements in running and economy. These are not things that are claimed but I noticed them too.

The resistor mod? From what I've seen here and on the Pajero forum this really is hit or miss. If you get the resistance right, for the conditions you're in and you install it properly then it will work. Problem is people are still trying to work out the right values so there are multiple instances of it having been done but not working properly. Worse, I've seen photos of installations that I think are disgraceful - failures waiting to happen. For most people I wouldn't rate this choice at all.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kouta666 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 pm

For me it was blank first. No brainer, as it cost me $5 and 5 minutes to install. That's bang for ya buck!
Sure the SPV mod may be better but is it ($170/5=) 35 times better than a blank?
kouta666

Postby murwullambah on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:33 pm

kouta666 wrote:For me it was blank first. No brainer, as it cost me $5 and 5 minutes to install. That's bang for ya buck!
Sure the SPV mod may be better but is it ($170/5=) 35 times better than a blank?

Or is it 250 times better than a 7c resister from jaycar
murwullambah

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:47 pm

You blokes miss the point. 2jzzzz is a newb on the forum and if he's asking the question then he clearly doesn't know. We don't know if he's an electronics whiz or a mechanical marvel so the recommendation has to be based on the assumption that he is neither. We do know that he has an MN but experiences with Challengers on the Pajero forum indicate that the blanking plate and the resistor mod don't necessarily work for every vehicle so there is a possibility (however small) that he may be one of those and what works for you may not work for him.

Cost doesn't come into it. It's a matter of what is the best solution for the majority of people.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kouta666 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 pm

But if the solutions are fairly close, cost does come into it. If I had been reading of mind blowing significant advantages for getting the mod then I could justify the massive price difference.

I am a newb to 4wding and as you know, when starting out there is sooooo much you want but can't afford. So it's one item at a time. For me the spv mod is a luxury I'll get later once I've got the basics. Similar to why I went a Muffler eliminator pipe instead of the full exhaust system. Can't afford (or justify to the wife) the full system but get some small performance gains and a nice tone with the cheaper option :D
kouta666

Postby DCDAD on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:00 pm

I am a Newbie to the Triton , and i originally tried the Blank ( with out Hole ) and it didn't throw any codes what so ever on me. Initially my instant fuel ( from a Scanguage II ) was at 8.7lph and i had some initial take off turbo lag, Not much , but noticeable in the fact i had been driving a 3.0Ltr Prado for 5 yrs. Upon leaving the site that fitted the Blank, my Instant Fuel readings were at 10.7 and it really did feel like a slug, and the engine seemed noticeably Louder ...rattlier if you will.. There was no change , even on the next day when i started her Cold.
I really didn't like the sensation i was feeling , it was like pressing the accelerator down on a sponge under the pedal..Lot of effort for no return ( Bit like my Ex Girlfriend for that matter , oh sorry... got side tracked)
Consequently i had the blank removed, and instantly she was back to her normal self ( The Triton , not the Ex) , and i knew the Blank was not for me...
I contacted Tony about the SVI Module , after talking to the guys here, and still i had some questions that i asked Tony ( and his lovely wife Libby ) who were more than willing to answer..
( Moderators and Tony , i hope you don't mind this next part )
Tony sent me an email, and outlined and gave me an explanation about the module that seemed very convincing ( as posted below ) .....

The SPVi EGR module MK3.1 bypasses the MAF sensors air intake sensor and then reports a value to the ECU as not requiring any exhaust gas recirculation. Hence keeping the EGR valve closed and also keeps the dreaded throttle body open at all times aside of shut down (where it closes momentarily as should). Your engine stays cleaner for longer.

The said sensor has no effect on air fuel ratio (Nor hot or cold starting) as the ECU uses the coolant temperature and a second air temperature sensor located near the throttle body assembly for calculating air density within the charged air from the Turbo.

These kits have been developed on all Denso system Mitsubishi common rail diesels and have been tested for over two years leading to our latest development "plug and play" EGR module Mk3.1

This is our latest development, and suits those who prefer plug and play with no impact or trace to the vehicles wiring loom and may be fitted or removed in seconds leaving no trace for warranty concerns. (Many have reported, easy as plugging in a toaster.)

The kits are all tested in house, come with all hardware needed and a comprehensive printed fitting guide.

Our "new" Plug and play kit plugs in between the Maf sensor on air box and original wiring loom.
Fitting can be mastered by anyone in seconds. We supply a comprehensive fitting guide with colour illustrations.

Our new plug and play kit uses OEM MAF plug, gold plated pins (for longevity of the product), module body is injection moulded and CNC machined for accuracy. We use a special non porous electrical resin from the UK with superior resistance to heat, moisture, shock impact and oil residue subjected in an engine bay.

We also test the modules on a special test bench (prior to despatch) and coat the OEM plug with an electrical grease (for further reliability) as the factory MAF sensor are renowned for corrosion around the pins and causing poor connectivity. This module also fixes this issue.

Upon receiving the Module , i installed the unit, let the car idle as directed, and let the engine "Learn" what the module wanted.... what are the differences?

My acceleration is by far more Direct than it ever was New,
The Engine is a little Quieter ( Definitely more than with a Blank )
and my fuel consumption is sitting at 8.3lph , so all in all I'm pretty bloody happy with it ..

on a personal note, easily removed , when it goes for a service, rather than have someone point out that they are aware of the Blanking plate...

Thats my experience as a Newbie to Mitsubishi and the tritons, and quite frankly the best Mod i have done to date...

My 2 cents... 8-)
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby JeepChallenger on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:02 am

kouta666 wrote:For me it was blank first. No brainer, as it cost me $5 and 5 minutes to install. That's bang for ya buck!

It is 142.50 delivered direct from Tony. Having tries the blank plate before going to the SPVi mod I can say yes it is definitely worth the money.
JeepChallenger

Postby 2jzzzz on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks everyone. I definitely am new to the forum and 4wd. I've come from a LC GTR Torana, VK commodore Brocky, 2JZ Toyota Aristo and to round it off, a new Toyota Yaris haha. I got rid of all the pollution gear from my old VK, but as it was carby, didn't have to worry about electrics.

Looks like I'll be getting Tony's module and a catch can on from brand new.
2jzzzz

Postby dandan on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:46 pm

I am new to 4wd,turbo diesels and Tritons.

After reading through all this and contacting Tony I am eagerly awaiting my plug in module .
dandan

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:13 pm

dandan wrote:I am new to 4wd,turbo diesels and Tritons.

After reading through all this and contacting Tony I am eagerly awaiting my plug in module .

You wont regret it, cheap insurance for the inlet manifold and will save you $$$ down the road.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby murwullambah on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:29 pm

kouta666 wrote:But if the solutions are fairly close, cost does come into it. If I had been reading of mind blowing significant advantages for getting the mod then I could justify the massive price difference.

I am a newb to 4wding and as you know, when starting out there is sooooo much you want but can't afford. So it's one item at a time. For me the spv mod is a luxury I'll get later once I've got the basics. Similar to why I went a Muffler eliminator pipe instead of the full exhaust system. Can't afford (or justify to the wife) the full system but get some small performance gains and a nice tone with the cheaper option :D

Hey kouta666, where did you get the muffler elimination pipe from and is it running ok , cheers
murwullambah

Postby Booger on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:28 pm

I'll keep looking... But can some-one point me in the direction for contacting Tony and his SPV mod Factory?
T.I.A.
Booger

Postby shaggy on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Here you go mate
tony@spvindustries.com
Send tony an email or pm him
shaggy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gandolf64 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 am

Hi all.....Yep totally new to this have just bought a second hand Triton ....so ..reading this article ..how do I get the electronic mod ...or the blanking plate ...from ?. Gandolf
Gandolf64

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:12 am

Look up one post
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby DCDAD on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:16 am

Gandolf64 wrote:Hi all.....Yep totally new to this have just bought a second hand Triton ....so ..reading this article ..how do I get the electronic mod ...or the blanking plate ...from ?. Gandolf

No introduction ... this is your First Post....... YOU Shall Not Paaaaassssss! :lol:
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls