replacement inlet manifold

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby Brett05 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:02 am

reeldreamer wrote:Tis good to know it will stay clean as well with the EGR plate ;) Brett i am still waiting for you to market your centre bearing lowering kit (CBLK) so i can rid my car of the last bit of shudder! How is your improvement going?

Mitch

Kits going great, been very busy at work...5 till 5 doesn't give much time to play. Will try and get the drawing done soon and post it up, as well as get a few laser cut...just got my bash plate laser cut, awaiting it's arrival today/tomorrow

Brett
If I pushed a copy of myself off a cliff, because he was swearing. Could I be charged with making an obscene clone fall ?
Link to Centre Bearing Mod viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6394
CAD & PDF files Centre Bearing Mod http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/download/file.php?id=638
Brett05

Re: replacement inlet manifold

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:56 pm

sam wrote:If it's the old manifold they most likely only ran some carbon cleaner through it so would be worth seeing if bolts/nuts have been touched :? :?

Ooops, had a look, it's a new lower manifold section, thankfully.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby YogiOz on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Upper and lower manifold replaced today ..... time will tell if it helps!

From my post under Hotline fixes etc:

Blocked Boost Port - Replaced upper inlet manifold and relocated boost port as per ML15-003.

This was on the docket when (under warrenty) MMAL replaced the upper AND lower inlet manifold. The notes for the lower were: swirl control valved blocking. Both came under "Check for engine lacks power".
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby amanda on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:19 am

Car went in for 30 000km service last week and we complained about lacking power. They checked the inlet manifold and said it was the old unit and it was replaced under warranty. What a difference! It drives like it did when it was new. Catch can going in soon so hopefully it will stay that way :)
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:40 pm

amanda wrote:Car went in for 30 000km service last week and we complained about lacking power. They checked the inlet manifold and said it was the old unit and it was replaced under warranty. What a difference! It drives like it did when it was new. Catch can going in soon so hopefully it will stay that way :)

which way are you going with the catch can provent or calibre :?: :)
mad992

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Bloody dealers.

I spoke to mine today about my 30,000 service due next week. I said I hear there are new manifolds being put on and how do I get one. He says well you'd have to describe the symptoms, we'd have to replicate them here, and then we'd have to submit that to MMAL for approval. I said well I've had the surging and blowing excess smoke and my fuel economy is shite. He said well that's not enough to get you over the line for a warranty fix. :evil:

Then he says well since we'll have the manifold off for the tappet adjustment we should give it a clean and flush out the rest of the engine and that'll be an extra $80 :evil:

I don't often wish I lived in Brisbane, but when it comes to dealer service I do. :cry:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:54 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Bloody dealers.

I spoke to mine today about my 30,000 service due next week. I said I hear there are new manifolds being put on and how do I get one. He says well you'd have to describe the symptoms, we'd have to replicate them here, and then we'd have to submit that to MMAL for approval. I said well I've had the surging and blowing excess smoke and my fuel economy is shite. He said well that's not enough to get you over the line for a warranty fix. :evil:

Then he says well since we'll have the manifold off for the tappet adjustment we should give it a clean and flush out the rest of the engine and that'll be an extra $80 :evil:

I don't often wish I lived in Brisbane, but when it comes to dealer service I do. :cry:

Crikey. With symptoms like that what else would you need to convince them? It's a known issue to Mitsubishi, it sounds like they are just lazy... :evil:
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:59 pm

:evil: :evil: I don't understand this type of thinking if it's a known problem :( and why a provent isn't also supplied.

Bloody great living in the sunshine state and somewhere near Eagers though ;)

Sorry...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:19 pm

It is great in the Sunshine State Homer but its still a 1400km drive for me to get to the best dealer service :cry: .
But I will tie in a trip to Brisbane next year for the first major service while down there 8-) .
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boatpc on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:

I just booked in for my 60k service at eagers brisbane, as i hear good reviews, and sick of crappy gold coast services

Mentioned the manifold and would like to have it checked/ cleaned, he asked about any issue and i more or less stated the same as yours.
Was told they'll do the 60k for $895 and go from there, No commitment to the manifold but if as you say, they do need to remove it for the tappet adjustment then im certain they can carbon date my manifold back to 2008.
Not booked in for another few weeks as their hire cars are booked out till then.
And ordered my provent in anticipation that i might have a clean manifold in afew weeks
boatpc

Postby jos89h on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:19 pm

I Had my upper manifold replaced today along with the suction control valve, can see the difference with a lack of smoke now and can notice more power down low.

I took a couple videos so i could compare the results.

Before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLyR4nomAY

After:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31M6mIySBk
jos89h

Postby pewter on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Gday there
Ive got an 07 3.2 DiD with 155000klms on it that Ive owned since new and its never had the manifold changed.
Ive always had it serviced by a mechanic friend. Never by MMC.
Ive noticed that its misfiring around 2200 rpm and Im guessing this will be from the carbon build up.
The question I have is even though the Triton is out of warranty was this manifold problem a recall that Mitsubishi will pay for? Or will I have a hefty bill coming my way? Cheers Pete
pewter

Postby gregned on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Should be covered under 5/10 160,000 warranty.
Why do you say its out of warranty.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby mad992 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:05 am

pewter wrote:Gday there
Ive got an 07 3.2 DiD with 155000klms on it that Ive owned since new and its never had the manifold changed.
Ive always had it serviced by a mechanic friend. Never by MMC.
Ive noticed that its misfiring around 2200 rpm and Im guessing this will be from the carbon build up.
The question I have is even though the Triton is out of warranty was this manifold problem a recall that Mitsubishi will pay for? Or will I have a hefty bill coming my way? Cheers Pete

and finally you found this site read on and learn my friend ;)
mad992

Postby pewter on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks guys for your advice. Very much appreciated. I guess now I have to book into a dealer and have a shit fight to get this repaired.
Anyone know a good dealer in the western Sydney area to get this problem resolved ? Cheers
pewter

Postby jos89h on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 pm

it shouldn't be too hard to get it fixed, all i said to the dealer was it was blowing smoke constantly and they said they would put a new manifold on and it would fix the problem. Although i was under the impression the warranty was only good for 130000km?
jos89h

Postby gregned on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:51 pm

There is a 5 yr 130,000K new car warranty and a non transferable 10 yr 160,000K power train warranty
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Haro5l was recommending a dealer out there recently. Penrith i think?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby gauci204 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:50 am

if the lower manifold hasnt been replaced or cleaned, can you pump some carbon cleaner into the redundant blanked off port whilst the car is running to try to get some of the shit out or should the lower manifold be removed to clean it?

i had my upper replaced but im positive that the lower wasnt even cleaned.
gauci204

Postby fraz91 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:05 am

Which stealer do you usually go to? I've been having a fair few problems with mine of late fixed by Sydney City. That being said, I had to crack the sh!ts at them after they tore the rocker-cover seal at the 30,000km service. Since then they've checked outand fixed a few boost issues i've had, followed my instructions on the 45k service and even replaced my front crank-case seal and all the belts covered in oil under warranty. I'd be interested to see what they say about the manifold replacement though, as they've reflashed my ECU and done SQL re-learns about 4 times on my car to try and rid it of the surging and smoke.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby jos89h on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:41 am

gauci204 wrote:if the lower manifold hasnt been replaced or cleaned, can you pump some carbon cleaner into the redundant blanked off port whilst the car is running to try to get some of the shit out or should the lower manifold be removed to clean it?

i had my upper replaced but im positive that the lower wasnt even cleaned.

I wouldn't recommend it as you have a good possibility of the carbon scratching your cylinder walls and blocking your inlet and exhaust valve as all the excess carbon flows through the engine. Best to remove it and clean it or get a mechanic to do it for you.
jos89h

Postby TUFF TROOP on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:42 am

I have heard of some dealers cleaning the manifolds and then the motor running on due to the solvents they used to clean it.. Mitsubishi advise to not clean the manifolds due to this reason, and it's impossible to clean every bit of carbon out unless it's acid dipped(or simmilar) , I've never cleaned manifolds out ive only ever replaced them , always doing upper and lower manifolds on the ml etc. I've got new upper and lower manifolds for mine to fit now also as soon as I get my catch can!!
TUFF TROOP

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:10 am

I'm starting to wonder if some of the carbon build-up issues are also related to the use of aluminium for the manifolds? Most of the Euro units I've seen are using plastic manifolds - maybe glug doesn't stick as well as the surfaces are smooth as opposed to cast alum. which usually is pretty rough.

They also seem to be designed with efficient gasflow in mind unlike the bent and scrap-metal filled units found on the mitsu.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Well i pulled my throttle body off today to have a look at how bad my situation was. Needless to say, when i spoke to my dealer he said "oh shit..."

The butterfly valve is covered in oil and, using a torch with the butterfly off, you can actually SEE the gunk building up just past the EGR opening... I'll be calling my dealer on tuesday and asking them about a serious fix because this is just crap...

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Kegsy on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 pm

I've been running various catch cans since 800kms on the clock.

I pulled my throttle body off to do the "tony mod" and it was as clean as could be at 30,000kms.

At the 30,000km service my manifold was pretty clean, had carbon on it but it was a very light dusting and I still had the EGR system fully operational. None of the sludge or thick carbon deposits.

Im still running the first manifold design on the MN and its going great guns thus far (35,000km's), I won't be changing to the revised manifold unless something goes wrong. Ain't broke don't fix it, at least thats what Im going with.

From what I've seen on my truck the catch can is worth its weight in gold, EGR blanking is good but mine was fine without it. I've since blanked it for other reasons than the manifold issues though.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls