Well, I guess it's official - MN manifold changes..

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Well, I guess it's official - MN manifold changes..

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Talking to the Workshop Foreman at the Stealer today revealed something that I really didn't want to hear but suspected anyway.

MN Tritons will have a recall or rectification work done on the intake manifold according to the chap I was talking to.

He did say that oil catch cans were a good idea and wished that the EGR would go away.... ML dramas all over again?
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Well, I guess it's official - MN manifold changes..

Postby ag9111 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:05 pm

:o Surprise Surprise

NOT REALLY
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Still better than a hilux :D
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm in :shock:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Yep. Still better than a hilux. At least now we should be on top of it with oil catch cans etc. By the way they didn't pick up on the EGR plate with a diagnostic check and ECU relearning at the first service. 8-) 8-)

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aframe1967 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Which dealer and did he indicate a time frame on the recall/fix?
aframe1967

Postby Tony on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Well, I have been holding my breath on this one..... I guess the cat is out of the bag now. I was told the same thing by my mate whom is a master tech. They have stuffed about with new flashes to make the EGR hold open longer etc but has not gone well at all.
They will still deny this for a wile yet if they can get away with it. :|
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:04 pm

I've heard the same thing and I just can't for the life of me work out why the Lux does'nt suffer to the same degree :? :? :?:
sam

Postby destorman on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:48 am

Excuse my ignorance ... what is the issue / problem?

Why does the MN need the manifold change?
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby patrolus on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:07 am

destorman wrote:Excuse my ignorance ... what is the issue / problem?

the ml had a massive prob with carbon build up in the manifold. do a search on here....a lot of ml's got it replaced /cleaned under warranty.....
better solution is to block the egr and to install a oil catch can.
mitsu claimed that the mn wouldn't have that prob anymore :evil:
patrolus

Postby aframe1967 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:08 am

Guys,

I don't understand why the ML Triton's have had such an issue. Is the 3.2 Did engine in the Triton the same as that in the Pajero's, as my 2005 Pajero had 225,000 km's on it when I sold it and never had any issue's at all?
aframe1967

Postby borngeek on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 am

my understanding of the ML manifold change was only the location of the MAP sensor. It was located in a way that made it susceptible to fouling with carbon/oil etc. They didn't solve any buildup issue with the revision it will still happen. Just takes longer for the engine to start playing up.

I find it curious that they will be recalling the MN manifold given the previous experience on the ML.. :? they surely couldn't make that fatal error twice :shock:

I suspect this is another seperate issue causing the limp modes in the MN? Definately be blocking EGR's from as early as possible anyway because they do no good to any manifold.

Be curious to hear what is actually wrong with the manifold design if this eventuates as a hotline fix as it sounds like it will...

...and no i am not that suprised mitsu has goofed it again. and mitsu claims they solved it is just spin sent down to dealer level. they cant solve it without removing this recycling system that sends crap into the intake system. with our pollution laws its not going to happen.. :|
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:54 am

I wonder why all the 2.5 UK L200's don't have the same issues, as they have the Euro pollution shit too.

It has been my thinking that the problem is something to do with the way the 3.2 intake system is designed/plumbed, so that sucking it's own fumes naturally causes it to choke.

But now that Aus 2.5's are dropping, it makes me think it's got to have a bit to do with the fuel used?

Maybe why they have brought out the "all new" Mits additive?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:55 am

Homer wrote:I wonder why all the 2.5 UK L200's don't have the same issues, as they have the Euro pollution shit too.

It has been my thinking that the problem is something to do with the way the 3.2 intake system is designed/plumbed, so that sucking it's own fumes naturally causes it to choke.

But now that Aus 2.5's are dropping, it makes me think it's got to have a bit to do with the fuel used?

I agree with it being linked to our fuel!

In Europe theres 3 types of diesel to choose from at the servo's and its hard to find the normal ULP pump. (ie. other way round to here). They are Bio, Non turbo diesel, and specific diesel for turbo's..
Europe is filled with diesel road cars (the most popular choice by a country mile). I ended up with a 3 series BMW when I was there last and it was a commonrail TD. In fact every car available for hire was diesel and manual. You have to be 30years+ to drive a turbo engine in Europe by law.
It did 900Km+ on a tank averaging 200km/h on the autoroutes. very economical.

In the next few weeks I will have some stats to see if that additive worked for me. Atm the engine is running nice but probably more related to the flogging I just gave it over 2000km. :?

back on topic
I suspect that they are making changes to the manifold to combat our poor fuel. But given the designs are done in countries that have better diesel standards than us I think we are screwed.. :|
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 am

BG,
i totally agree 100% with whats just been said about our fuel so now we need to combat this with mits fuel conditioner at each service :| sucks aye
mad992

Postby TAXTRUCK on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:50 am

Longranger1 wrote:Yep. Still better than a hilux. At least now we should be on top of it with oil catch cans etc. By the way they didn't pick up on the EGR plate with a diagnostic check and ECU relearning at the first service. 8-) 8-)

I picking up a new MN this week and are a little nervous about modifying the engine with regard to warranty, how did you go about it? did it affect fuel consumption/performance?
TAXTRUCK

Postby NitroGLXRin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:06 am

I picking up a new MN this week and are a little nervous about modifying the engine with regard to warranty, how did you go about it? did it affect fuel consumption/performance?[/quote]

Ive done 3000kms now and am still nervous about modifications that may affect warranty :lol:

with regards to fuel, did the ml's carbon up even when using Premium Deisel 100% of the time????

Catch Can: Im not going to do the blank plate because of the limpies and slight chance of warranty issues, but the catch can sounds good, is there any chance of voiding warranty with these?
NitroGLXRin

Postby jop on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:00 pm

i have run almost exclusively BP ultimate or vortex when ultimate wasn't available + diesel additive, now at 60k, egr blocked at 45k. No carbon issues - that i know of ;)
jop

Postby sarice on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:36 pm

My dealer recommended to me that I put a catch can on for the carbon build up issue with no risk at all to the warranty. The Provent is the most effective one to use according to them if it is fitted properly. They have seen some rough setups with cheap cans which might be doubtful if a warranty issue comes around so a couple of extra bucks for a Provent is the way to go. Mine works well so far but time will tell.
sarice

Postby TAXTRUCK on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:54 pm

just spoke to shifty little stealer, he reackons a recall on MNs from slight surging on cruze control is in the works but not a recall due to carbon build up :shock: ... Im going to be pissed if its unreliable :twisted: Picking up the new wheels tomorrow.
TAXTRUCK

Postby destorman on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:40 pm

patrolus wrote:
destorman wrote:Excuse my ignorance ... what is the issue / problem?

the ml had a massive prob with carbon build up in the manifold. do a search on here....a lot of ml's got it replaced /cleaned under warranty.....
better solution is to block the egr and to install a oil catch can.
mitsu claimed that the mn wouldn't have that prob anymore :evil:

Thx m8 ... I suspected that ... I read about the carbon build up and 'fix' for the ML's on here but being mechanically challenged I was not confident in my suspicions.

I work on the theory that the most stupid question is the one you don't ask! How else do we all learn?
destorman

Postby patrolus on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:02 pm

borngeek wrote:
Homer wrote:I wonder why all the 2.5 UK L200's don't have the same issues, as they have the Euro pollution shit too.

I agree with it being linked to our fuel!

In Europe theres 3 types of diesel to choose from at the servo's and its hard to find the normal ULP pump. (ie. other way round to here). They are Bio, Non turbo diesel, and specific diesel for turbo's..
Europe is filled with diesel road cars (the most popular choice by a country mile). I ended up with a 3 series BMW when I was there last and it was a commonrail TD. In fact every car available for hire was diesel and manual. You have to be 30years+ to drive a turbo engine in Europe by law.
It did 900Km+ on a tank averaging 200km/h on the autoroutes. very economical.

In the next few weeks I will have some stats to see if that additive worked for me. Atm the engine is running nice but probably more related to the flogging I just gave it over 2000km. :?

back on topic
I suspect that they are making changes to the manifold to combat our poor fuel. But given the designs are done in countries that have better diesel standards than us I think we are screwed.. :|

so it comes down to our poor diesel quality again?? :evil:
not sure could be possible. i'll actually talk to some ppl about that.

where da hell in europe did u find 3 dif diesel fuels?? def not in germany and surrounding countries??!! and why would u need to be over 30 to drive a turbo?? that is absolute bullshit!(sorry, dont mean to offend just saying it)
but regarding economy u r right.... but hey u 'll get the same economy over here if u buy a european car. its your choice!
i used to drive an audi a6 2.5tdi for work, chasing it over the autobahn (~190km/h for hours) it would return 7l/100k's. and that was in 2002 already. problem is that australia has some of the loosest emission and consumption laws in the civilized world, why would the carmakers act and give us expensive technology if ppl are not forced by the government to ask for it?? my 2005 patrol 4.2tdi (if they would have been allowed to sell it as a new car in the first place) would not have been allowed to drive in any german city (fine dust emission laws seperate cars in 3 groups, u get colored sticker on ur windscreen,green /yellow /red and every street leading in to a city has got signs that will tell u if u r allowed to drive on that street with ur sticker. fully sick!!!. plus the tax for its emission's would have been 1578.36 euro a year. on top of your normal rego and insurance and and. just to make u bleed for the higher emissions. so ppl just wouldn't buy a car like that and thats why manufacturers act on that. a lot of european tdi's are better for the environment than the hybrid's toyota is selling, with a car like a lupo that only uses 3l/100k's with all the newest emission cleaning shit in it.

we are talking about carbon trading over here, BIG DEAL
! yes it will cost us.BUT- europe is doing it for years!
blame our politicians and our uneducated voters that base their voting decision on tv ads from the parties.

oh, but don't expect a european car to run on diesel that u got dropped on the canning, out of a filthy drum. and that is where the dog bites it's tail. we do get all that fancy technology in our cars now, but the servo/fuel supply network (etc) is still in the stoneage over here. no collecting of the fumes on the fillernozzle and revaporization to stop the gases to pollute the atmosphere, i bet most of the underground tanks are older than me and the filtration system? and that is only what we see, not even talking about the production..... :evil:
so maybe it is our juice.

just my two cent... ;)
patrolus

Postby mad992 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:24 pm

nice rant sash nice :D
mad992

Postby destorman on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:26 pm

My mechanically challenged technically impaired mind seems to struggle with the notion that a multi national vehicle manufacturer is only having trouble with 'carbon build up' in Oz ... if that is the case, the variables are:
destorman

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Regarding my conversation with the workshop foreman I believe that he was being honest with me and as Mitsubishi themselves may not like to admit to the problem, I don't wish to name him or the dealer he works for for obvious reasons.

This is a problem which is by no means a Mitsubishi exclusive. There are a hell of a lot of Tritons out there and probably not all are going to be affected the same. A whole bunch of variables come into play here, things like diesel quality, climate and conditions where you live, engine oil quality, service intervals and type of driving you do are just some them.

Since a lot of folks on this forum have done their own research on the problem and have come up with some innovative solutions maybe we can succeed in overcoming the issues. Sure is a pain to do this but worth it in the long run. A catch can is pretty obvious when fitted and there are going to be some dealer mechanics question the use of them, if they give give you grief go elsewhere. These are the guys which will milk every dollar out of you or Mitsubishi and still not recognise true customer service.

A good oil catch can surely cannot void a warranty unless it is the cause of crankcase pressure build up. You do have statutory rights with warranties. EGR blanking plates may be blamed for warranty issues and a dealer would use this as an out if they could, but most mechanics know it can only be a good thing. I don't know why some people are having fault codes coming up while using them it could be completely unrelated to the plate being in. I carry an OBD 11 reader in the car should it decide to throw a fault code touch wood it hasn't been needed yet. Control soot and oil mist and you should be a happy motorist.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls