power steer drop out proved to dealer

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby trytin on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:39 am

Mentioned to the dealer a couple of times that the power steering occasionally dropped out. They checked their tech web site and found no reported faults. So the mechanic took it for a drive the other day during a service and said he couldnt fault. So when time to pick it up I listended to the mechanic ramble on about the 07 model not having any issues. So I told him to come for a drive to show him.
To test for the fault be in first gear 2-3000 RPM and quickly turn the wheel half a turn one way then quickly back. The power steering drops out on the return everytime. Mechanic went oh S*** when he tried it. Turns out he idled around an empty car park for 5 minutes but couldnt get it to fail. A new power steering unit now ordered and will let you know if it fixed it.
Give the test a go as interested how many others have the fault. Reading passed posts there may be quite a few.
trytin

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 am

You may have read I've just had mine done, faulty pump, 07. Mine did it at idle too.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby scubapro on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:50 am

trytin I tried to tell my stealer there was a problem, but he blamed my suspension rise as the cause as it did not come within mitsus steering specifiction:x :x

He blamed the company that did the upgrade 40mm at the front.
scubapro

Postby Eelesy on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 am

I just went out for a small drive, second gear, 3000rpm, pulled ane way then back hoping i wouldnt notice anythig, but sure enuf, the steering at that point gets really heavy! so is this a hotline fix or do we just go in and start complaining till they fix it??
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby scubapro on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:32 am

Guys, I have been through this before. Some people here actually got annoyed with me.

I took my ute back to the people who did my suspension upgrade & they got their steering person to drain & try to flush the steering system. Apparently it is a known problem within the industry.

This did help a lot but has not totally cured the problem.

Mitsu has not to this date acknpwledged my query.
scubapro

Postby sam on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 am

40 mm lift causing the prob 8-) 8-) 8-)
What next bigger wheels causing squeaky rear springs.

What a load of bullpoo 8-)
sam

Postby scubapro on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:05 am

I agree Sam but that is why they told me to go away. Anyway where did you get the woodgarin finish & how much did it cost please? Any chance of some pics?
scubapro

Postby rick on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:28 am

whats this about a burr walnt dash board :-)
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Postby slimv6 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 am

I got the same issue! But as usual, the dealer never noticed anything... typical. maybe someone should engage the japs at mitsu???
I'm not as thunk as you drink I am. ;)
slimv6

Postby sam on Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:21 pm

I could possibly still get the woodgrain kit if anyone is interested approx $370 ;)
sam

Postby scubapro on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm

sam is it possible to post some pics please as I have not seen it?
scubapro

Postby trytin on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:45 am

Guys my intent was to give you a test you could show your dealer and give them a proven fault they could work on because from past posts there seemed to be now way of making it happen on the spot with the dealer. If you have the fault and take it to Mitsubishi then maybe they will be a bit sus when all these power steering units are getting replaced and realise there is an issue with the MLs and investigate with a definite fix that can be relayed to all dealers.
trytin

Postby sederb on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:20 am

Had a similar fault with my new GLX-r. "check engine" light came on but no apparent problem. took to mits and they said the power steering pump was reporting wrong pressure. new pump ordered and installed quick smart with no hassles. guess you have to be lucky and get a good dealer.
sederb

Postby Nick08 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:41 am

Ill have to try that on my 08 GLX-R.
Nick08

Postby slimv6 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:40 am

The stealer said that all the vans (toy, mazda, ford, mitsu) are using racks and pumps manufactured by limited factories and it's a 'characteristic'
slimv6

Postby Jitsukablue on Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:49 am

BS. All automovie subsuppliers have always supplied all components, bar the really big components, like the chasis and motor. For example, Visteon makes just about everything for traditionally Ford, but others too, they were getting into Fiat before I left. Whole air intake manifolds, cooling systems, dash instrumentaions, throttle control, it's all farmed out to sub supliers who can meet the specifications etc. etc. Denso, Valio, Bosch, Siemens, to name but a few. Even after mine got fixed, the steering is still not 100% 'smooth', so I'd say that could be said to be a 'characteristic', but the power steering cutting out entirely is not, that's what most normal sane people would call a 'fault'. Such a dirty word eh? Go and drain the sales persons power steering fluid and tell him it's a characteristic of you being p*ssed off.
Jitsukablue

Postby scubapro on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:56 am

We all know this is absolutely crap. There is a problem but the local stealers have been told to stay quiet otherwise there will be a massive recall.

Mitsu does not want this. They have already pulled out of OZ & any more bad publicity will not help.

That is why this should be made more open.
scubapro

Postby Nick08 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:13 am

i just went for a quick drive to test it and mine does to oh well back to the stealers and mines only 3 days old
Nick08

Postby slimv6 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Maybe we should start an international petition?

Couldn't hurt do go to a local paper or mitsu headoffice with it? what do ya reckon? couldnt hurt...

Are the majority of oz deralers brand houses or are they only agencies? we have a few brand houses, but they bunched with DaimlerChrysler group here. All the commercial shid goes through them too.
slimv6

Postby Austblue on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:24 am

I just sent a PM to one of the triton users on 4wdmonthly that works at a dealership I'll let you all know if he has anything useful to contribute.
Austblue

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:21 am

Nick, that's the first case I know of an 08 having this problem, it was supposed to be confined to 'early' models.
Jitsukablue

Postby pickle on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:24 am

Actually I mentioned the steering issue in a reveiw I did of one in July 2006 for our Paj Forum.
The review :
Lets just say I wasn’t driving a 1 ton ute, I was driving a car. At least that’s what it felt like ! Mitsubishi have really improved the ride in the new Triton that it was a breeze to drive .My test drive was a 3.5 ltr GLX-R Five Speed manual. The GLX-R is about as good as you want, it has a lot of features for the tradie or occasional 4wder. Cluth and gear changes felt good and tight although the steering was a tad vague (would not return to centre after a corner wihout a little help). Other than that it drove really well.
Under the bonnet is neat but it would be good to see the plastic cover over the motor (Challenger and Pajero has them) as it looks unfinished. Plenty of room for your dual battery when you move the charcoal cannister.
One feature I did not know about is the ability to turn off your passenger side airbag, open up the glove box and find the lock for it.......dunno about that one!. The Multi-function Centre Display is fantastic and tells you everything you need to know. Interior and seating position was great as was the finish of the trim.
From what the guys at Allan Mance told me is that the 3.2 diesel drives just as quite as the v6.
Overall, .......this one should give the Hi Lux a run for it’s money!

Seems the steering problem is a bit more common than I thought.
Dave
pickle

Postby sts on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 am

hey guys,

i am now an Ex triton owner. had the 2007 3,2 Did triton which also came with this so called steering characteristic. I discovered this characteristic one day when i almost killed a pedestrian! I have been fighting mitsu for about 5 months on this issue and eventually the stealership ended up buying the vehicle back from me. i lost a bit of money but it was the best thing i ever did! You just cant take this sort of risk with regards to safety.

In my opinion the issue does not lie with any dirt in the fluid. the issue lies with the design of the power steering pump. I have had this confirmed by an engineer at daimler chrysler who also did a road test on the vehicle and failed it! his words to me were 'get rid of the vehicle'!!!! Mitsu deny point blank that any testing was done by daimler chrysler (i guess it was in my dreams then!)

Further interesting facts i found out during my investigations:
- because the vehicle is made in japan there is no testing done on the steering system as it is not a requirement.
- our local import authorities (SA) only do an impact test on the steering column
- the vehicle fails the so called reindeer test (done by daimler chrysler SA)
- i have taken my vehicle to numerous local testing companies who all failed the vehicle on a roadworthy test. I did have to first show them the problem as it is not within the 'normal' tests.
- the steering pump is supplied by JTEKT which also supplied steering pumps for toyota.

I wish all you guys good luck with this one!
sts

Postby sts on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:52 am

oh and the best response i got from mitsu was . . . .

"it remains the driver's responsibility to operate the vehicle both within the laws of physics and the vehicles own limitations!"
sts

Postby Austblue on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:33 am

Not to sherk you off or anything but in all your investigation you didn't learn that the car is made in thailand?
Austblue

Next

Return to Warranty/Recalls