Oils aint Oils

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Oils aint Oils

Postby Doug70 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:43 am

Anyone have any info on ULX110 Diesel oil?? A mate has been using it in his Triton, I was just wondering if any others out there have any other info.
Doug70

Postby jasonnewbie on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi, just wondering if Castrol RX Diesel Engine Oil - 15W-40, 20 Litre is something to be used in my 2011 MN 2.5 diesel, just ticked over 100,000?
FLASH AS A RAT WITH A GOLD TOOTH.
jasonnewbie

Postby tondo12 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 am

Hi. I've read through this post and can't really find the answer I'm looking for. About to an oil change on my 2012 MN. And about to go for a run to Fraser island. What would people recommend. 5W-40 or 10W-40. I've almost done 90k km.
My first time doing it.
tondo12

Postby Ragnarok on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:23 pm

Im in the penrite hpr diesel 5w- 40 fan club.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ragnarok

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 am

Caltex Delo multigrade 15w40. Great oil.

Changed every 6-7000km's. My MN is noticeably quieter using this oil over Penrite HPR Diesel 5.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 am

I’m another Caltex delo user and can’t say a bad word about it. Change mine every 10k.
A little harder to find but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mitch_o on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am

mitch_o

Postby ImpulseTriton on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:57 am

Aussie wrote:If it is any help, I make oil, all types and specs and am prepared to answer questions re the subject of oils but for obvious reasons, preferably not brands....fire away and I will try to help but I am not here a lot so it mat take me awhile to answer, cheers

Hi Aussie,

Have a MQ triton, 4x4, dual cab, and wondering what oil to use?
The service dep has recommended a product that you can only buy in such quantities that you'd be able to service the entire suburb, so they said the salesperson at Supercheap would be able to help. My concern is that the person at supercheap usually likes cars, however, I don't know how much trust I'd place in them, if you catch my drift.

So, when I saw your ad, I thought I'd ask the question.

Cheers,

Andrew

Postby MN Driver on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 pm

HI all,

I have a MN 2011 and I used Nulon 5w-30 and I find that to be a good oil, and it makes it quieter.
You can also get it at super cheap. I am a club member so I get emailed when they have specials on oil.
I bought the 10L container.
MN Driver

Postby leonbee on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:19 pm

[quote="har05l"]I’m another Caltex delo user and can’t say a bad word about it. Change mine every 10k.
A little harder to find but worth it

Do u put it in your commodore or Triton. New label and marketing looks great WOW ultra gold but its just another CI-4. However I do prefer Caltex oils. They spend allot of money on development and err marketing. :lol: Im happy with Rx.

The good stuff goes to truck fleets not supercheap
http://www.deloperformance.com/en-us/de ... ology.html
leonbee

Postby MN Driver on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Does anyone know the difference between the Castrol RX oil and Caltex Delo oil ? Or is same stuff different distributor
MN Driver

Postby track01 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:43 pm

MN Driver wrote:Does anyone know the difference between the Castrol RX oil and Caltex Delo oil ? Or is same stuff different distributor

y say
Delo is the new formula of RX, better wear properties - the Rx will do the job fine 75000km dumps
track01

Postby leonbee on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:14 pm

MN Driver wrote:Delo 400oes anyone know the difference between the Castrol RX oil and Caltex Delo oil ? Or is same stuff different distributor

Caltex RX is made by Caltex and is a C4
Caltex Delo by chevron is sold under the caltex brand name or maybe sold by Caltex for delo - it is a C4 plus

Delo is a huge American company stands for Diesel engine lubricant oil. Research and Supply oil to commercial and, heavy industry for years since 1935. Have no idea how caltex is affiliated maybe a merger or Caltex just selling delo as they have developed the new technology oil bringing mineral oil closer to synthetic specs. This Delo 400 oil has new advanced wear characteristics and importantly for the Triton excellent carbon/sludge resistance additives. I use Caltex RX but will be moving to the Delo 400 as it is now sold conveniently at supercrap at a great price.

I would only switch to a full synthetic if I was HEAVY towing as synthetic handle heat better. However I find the low verscocity of synthetic say 10 - 40 makes the Triton sound terrible and rattly especially at cold start up, but apparently help you use less fuel as the engine heats up to operating temperature quicker. I found no fuel saving and the rattle engine annoying.

Delo changed every 7500km in the triton will remove the carbon and keep your engine clean and protected at a great price and appears to be a well respected product by forum users. Also very cost effective for the do it yourselfer... :)
leonbee

Postby Pearcie45 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Looking at doing my first oil change this weekend. I have the fumoto drain valve installed so draining the oil should not be a problem. First time doing an oil change and am wondering if there is a pre set amount I should put in or do I just continually check it using the dip stick?
MN MY13 GLX-R - Silver - Rear Diff Lock - Rhino Lining Tub Liner - GME TX3100 UHF - Tinted Bonnet Protector - Basha 3mm Bash Plates
Pearcie45

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:01 pm

A good volume to start with is what the owners manual or oil selector states for you engine type.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/product-s ... vOvD_BwE#/
L200Shogun

Postby MilkmanDan on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:01 pm

L200Shogun wrote:A good volume to start with is what the owners manual or oil selector states for you engine type.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/product-s ... vOvD_BwE#/

Yep this. I usually put small amount in the filter to wet the elements as it’s a side mount pointless filling it up as you will lose most of it while installing it. I’ll throw 6L in and check against the stick, top up from there. Pull the fuse and turn the motor with the starter to push some oil up then run it for a few minutes. Stop, let sit, check stick again and either top up or leave it.

I’ll recheck after a days driving.

I use Penrite in mine, handy as comes in the 10litre tubs
MilkmanDan

Postby Enid_Triton on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 pm

Sorry about the old thread revival, but I always run the cheapest rated synthetic oil that I can find in the MN 2.5 motor.
I use the Castrol VMx-M in the transfer case and I use Castrol EPX 80W/90 in the diffs.

I had it serviced at the Dealer a while back & when it came out it was hard to get into second & third gears (up & down shift) but it has never crunched into any gear. It never had this problem before the service, & I suspect that they put crap gear oil in the box.
I then tried Penrite, & I tried Castrol VMX-M & a couple of other brands in the 5 speed manual box but the extremely tight shifting problem remained.
So, then I bled the clutch which was full of air & that made it change gears slightly better but not like how it used to be.
A lot of people said the synchros in my box were rooted, but I disputed this theory because it changed gears so smoothly when it warmed up..
So in the end as a last resort I dropped the 5 speed Gearbox oil out of the box altogether and have been running ATF Dexron III (Don't quote me on that, but from memory I think that is the one I am using, but I will have to find the bottle to be 100% sure).

Anyway, the ATF has fixed the problem for me & it has changed up & down gears perfectly ever since - Cold or Hot.
IMO It is as good, if not better than it used to be.
Enid_Triton

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 am

ATF dex 3 is for autos and power steering. Not manuals. Castrol VMX is the preferred manual trans oil, same as in your transfer case.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:13 am

Enid_Triton wrote:I dropped the 5 speed Gearbox oil out of the box altogether and have been running ATF Dexron III ......
Anyway, the ATF has fixed the problem for me & it has changed up & down gears perfectly ever since - Cold or Hot.

This is NOT a good idea. ATF is not suitable for use in manual transmissions.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby srb on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Yeah agree, that's crazy putting AFT in a manual box.
But probably won't do any short term damage, fingers crossed for you.
Try using a full synthetic GL4 spec manual gearbox oil, Nulon or Penrite works for me, it sorted my gearbox issues. Must be a GL4 and not a GL5 spec.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:26 am

When I dropped the OEM load of oil the first time and switched to Nulon Smooth Shift, the gearbox and transfer operating became "fun" to use.

The transmission fluid has obviously freed up something Enid. Get the appropriate lube in there as soon as possible before a bearing disintegrates and takes out the whole box.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby peter9231 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:08 am

There are plenty of OEM manual transmissions that run ATF from the factory.
And some Alison truck automatic transmissions run engine oil not ATF.
ATF will tolerate extreme temperature and lubricate under enormous load without foaming.
peter9231
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:54 pm

And it will void your warranty on the spot.

While I agree that ATF is used in some manual transmissions and that it is a transmission oil, if it were more suitable for the transmissions in a Triton then Mitsubishi would have specified it. They haven't and for this reason we can't condone advice to use it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:19 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:

[quote=This is NOT a good idea. ATF is not suitable for use in manual transmissions.

My SS Thunder ute ran 6.0lt V8, TREMEC 6 Speed manual and the oil in them was ATF, But I wouldnt be running it in anything with a specification of GL4- GL5.

The reason it shifts easier now points to the gear oil that was in it was probably too heavy
WUNSIE

Postby FQCODEL on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:04 am

I use a teflon additive, makes cold shifts way smoother and has 0 effect on syncros hot or cold. Cold shift is night and day for me.
FQCODEL

Previous

Return to Servicing