Genuine oil filter price

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

golden oil filter

Postby tritondan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:00 pm

i have not seen one yet - so dont know if its gold plated with special filtratino forces.

what makes the oil filter soooo expensive. i will be using the genuine one to keep a 'no issue' warranty but relly - $50 smackers for an oil filter ?????

i did speak to the service department about changing oil only and keeping filter on for the interim and they said it was no worries. they also said use castrol mag 15/40. is this consistent with everyones specs???

i will be doing my 7500 tomorrow.

dan
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Re: golden oil filter

Postby Greedy on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:45 pm

See if you can get a cheaper price for 6. I got them down to $34 from memory.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:09 pm

just got my service done and the dealer did 2 for 37 each
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby tritondan on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:22 am

ok - so now i have done the 7500 interim and bought the filter i see why it was so expensive.

its a BIG filter. this is my first diesel so are all diesel oil filters that large. and i did note how heavy it was, so its abviou8ldy designed to run the whole 15000km with out change.

i can now see the value in it. (sort of) :shock:
its a brand new day - its a brand new life
tritondan

Postby sierra on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 am

It cost me $59 for a filter for the 2.5 and it's exactly the same except it's about 30mm shorter. I would have got the 3.2 filter because it's bigger and cheaper[more common] but it wont quite clear the hose.
The 2.5 filter is the same one listed for the 2.5 back in the early 1990's so it's just a filter, nothing special to go with the CRD etc. After market versions are less than $20.
:| :) :D
sierra

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Oil, Fuel & Air Filters.

This has got to be the biggest money spinner for the auto trade. Why should any filter cost more than $25??

I did my 7,500km service and used the new Nulon Diesel. With the EGR blocked off, the oil was still
fairly clean at 15k. I have decided that the new oils are good enough to go 15km (esp. considering that you have nearly a 10l sump).

My MB Vito did 22.5k between changes without any worries. A lot of new Euro vehicles do over 33k.

But the real stingers are the fuel units! How about $130 for the Pug 307?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stevo8 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Maybe a group bulk buy may be the go????
Stevo8

Postby Racer on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:14 pm

You are all suckers. I just bought another one for 24 dollars Friday....

Brand is Sakura
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Buzzy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:39 pm

I buy genuine for 33 bucks
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Racer wrote:You are all suckers. I just bought another one for 24 dollars Friday....

Brand is Sakura

Why risk your engine warranty for a few dollars?
:?
sierra

Postby The Finch on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:06 am

You should not be risking warranty.

Before any filter manufacturing company can sell their product it must pass tests etc. and prove to be equal or better quality than what is standard.
They will also cover your engine warranty if fault is due to faulty filter.
The Finch

Postby sierra on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:43 am

Both Mitsubishi and the filter maker would be busting a gut to avoid paying out for a new engine, they would deny liability because the other party is there to blame, that's how it works.
It's alright with the oil because they don't use Mitsubishi special blend so we can use a higher spec or ask them to but for the sake of $10 - $30 saving on the filter it can't be worth risking the 10 year warranty?

Maybe an idea to keep the old genuine filter so it can be swapped over if the engine ever has a terminal event but do you carry it with you?
:?
sierra

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:08 pm

Gotta say I 1000% agree with Sierra here.
Same goes for oil too. Buy the best, it's all the car runs on.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NTBB on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:32 pm

if oil = blood the filter=kidneys
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Homer on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Very good analogy ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby CamboWambo on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:10 pm

The stealer here uses a Bosch oil filter which I recognize as a good brand. So since the 10000 kilometer interval changes are free, I buy my own Bosch filter and Castrol oil from a local store and pay $8 USD for the filter for the 5000 kilometer changes. $8 USD for a big diesel engine oil filter (the filter is big, the engine is 2.5) from a quality brand company. How Sweet It Is. The oil costs $42 USD for a 5 liter bottle, don't know how good a value that is but it doesn't seem "high".
Never send a truck to do a Triton's job
CamboWambo

Postby Racer on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Sakura Oil Filter retails at 45 dollars, this company makes the genuine Toyota Filters. My mechanic also uses an aftermarket brand oil filter. I get the filter cheap as I know the store owner.

As far as I am aware there is no automotive part that can be sold here without being of Australian Standard.

I find it amusing that some of you sit here and critisise me for using an aftermarket filter, changing my own oil to risk warranty yet you add 2 stroke engine oil with the diesel? Is that in the service schedule, recommended by MMAL? What about fitting the EGR plate?

Risking warranty? Would it be at your vehicle's best interest to have the oil changed intervals halved, utilising a good quality oil (HPR15) with a fresh oil filter as apposed to running as per Mitsubishi Service Schedule of every 15k running a Mechanic Multi Grade Mineral Oil.....
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby sierra on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Racer wrote:Sakura Oil Filter retails at 45 dollars, this company makes the genuine Toyota Filters. My mechanic also uses an aftermarket brand oil filter. I get the filter cheap as I know the store owner.
As far as I am aware there is no automotive part that can be sold here without being of Australian Standard.
I find it amusing that some of you sit here and critisise me for using an aftermarket filter, changing my own oil to risk warranty yet you add 2 stroke engine oil with the diesel? Is that in the service schedule, recommended by MMAL? What about fitting the EGR plate?
Risking warranty? Would it be at your vehicle's best interest to have the oil changed intervals halved, utilising a good quality oil (HPR15) with a fresh oil filter as apposed to running as per Mitsubishi Service Schedule of every 15k running a Mechanic Multi Grade Mineral Oil.....

Steady on Racer. Us suckers don't know the store owner so the filter you used would cost close to the genuine anyway.
;)
Nothing wrong with HPR15[hopefully] and it went into mine at 7500km too but with a genuine filter.
It's unlikely they would detect 2T at 1/200 especially when it bonds with the diesel.
They would have to pull the EGR pipe off to find the blank and I could remove it in 5 minutes anyway.

The oil filter would stand out like dog's balls compared to the 2T and EGR plate, to save a few $, while they should offer real returns in reliability and long engine life.
:D
sierra

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:40 am

genuine filter $37,HPR15 changed every 5000km(MMAL recomend 7500 for extreem conditions) rang MMAL when first got the tri to check if aftermarket was ok met with a defenite NO.
NTBB

Postby Racer on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:44 am

NTBB wrote:genuine filter $37,HPR15 changed every 5000km(MMAL recomend 7500 for extreem conditions) rang MMAL when first got the tri to check if aftermarket was ok met with a defenite NO.

I couldn't ever seeing them saying a YES
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Homer on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:14 am

Wasn't singling you out racer.
I was just pointing out for a few that are more intent on saving a dollar than what they are saving the dollar on that oil is the lifeblood of the car and $20 over 3 months or so is virtually nothing to give it a non HIV blood transfusion. Particularly if they see heavy 4WD, towing or bogged beach usage.
In the past some non genuine oil filters have been below spec and used older filtration designs - still Australian standard - but 1970's.
Don't know that it's still relevant now but not willing to risk it for a further $10.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:45 am

my point is that i am so time poor it would be counter productive to have my tri in bits on the dealers floor for 3 months whilst we argue about who will pay for the repair. it's already hard enough when you march to the beat of MMAL's drum. MMAL won't credit the time lost back onto the waranty win or loose.
NTBB

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:56 am

one other point the last time my lawyer drafted me a letter it cost me $400 :evil: can buy alot of mitsu oil filters for that.
NTBB

Postby Racer on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 am

NTBB wrote:one other point the last time my lawyer drafted me a letter it cost me $400 :evil: can buy alot of mitsu oil filters for that.

Remind me not to use your Solicitor/Lawyer NTBB 8-)
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby NTBB on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:51 am

you get what you pay for ,a cheap solicitor/lawyer can be just as costly as cheap oil ;)
NTBB

Next

Return to Servicing