Genuine oil filter price

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: golden oil filter

Postby Racer on Wed May 18, 2011 4:34 pm

I did mine not long ago. $89 for 20L Delo 400 and $16 for Purolator Premium Plus filter.

I went to Thailand last month, they are not as easy to come across as you think...
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 18, 2011 4:48 pm

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Wed May 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Oil filters are about the only thing I wouldn't go non std - unless I had an iron clad guarantee it was up to standard and had everything (valves etc) internal that the genuine one does.

Which you wont get.

Edit: I think there is a thread somewhere with a photo of a pump/valve that is inside the genuine Mits filter.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

golden oil filter

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 18, 2011 5:18 pm

My link above was to OEM filters...

Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Wed May 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Sorry mate even though it was after yours I wasn't singling yours out :oops: ...just generalizing about some potential issues with non genuine...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

golden oil filter

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Just checking.

Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:02 am

Well..decided to open up my last used filter and really shocked how "low-tech" these things are. No special valves, etc. All that quality (weight) some have commented on is in the spin-on plate that screws onto the engine. The can is very thin and weighs almost nothing. The interesting thing was how they combined two cartridges to get the total filtration surface area. Obviously used a "standard cartridge" and then fit an extender unit to increase capacity! I would suspect that some trucks may use a longer unit, which would possibly just include two or more of these extenders.

$15-$20 would be more than reasonable to pay for a filter of this type. I've seen the trusty old Z9 Ryco for under $10 and suggest that manufacturing costs would be no different. The paper in the Mitsi filter looked nothing special either.

At the end of the day, Mitsubishi or any other car-maker doesn't manufacture the filter. There will be a sweat factory (with the best tender cost) pumping out units for all the local factories eg, Toy, MazFord etc.

I think Mitsubishi would be on a soft footing if challenging the use of an equivalent or superior filter - read restrictive trade. Just consider all the other generics, eg Oil that the workshops are using.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby veight on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:21 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Went to Mitsubishi in Darwin - oil filter for my MN Triton $65.08 inc gst

What is everyone else paying ??
Maybe i should be freighting them from another dealer.
veight

Postby Kegsy on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:22 pm

thats about the going rate mate, wait till ya buy the diesel filter :shock:

Also Baldwin Filters show part number "BD28" as being compatible with mitsu part# 1230A045, but Im unsure if anyone has tried it yet.

You can three of the BD28 for the price of one 1230A045.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:02 pm

They fit the ML 3.2 Kegsy. Same thread though I believe, they are longer so may not fit easily on the MN.

Baldwin are good quality filters with a good reputation. I use genuine as here locally you would just about have your warranty torn up if you used non-genuine windscreen washer fluid...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

golden oil filter

Postby Kegsy on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:42 pm

LR these BD28 are the equivalent to the mn filter according to literature.

The ml use a different baldwin filter again.

Or is there a problem with the Baldwin filter catalogue that you discovered?

I was thinking of ordering one and cutting it open along with a factory filter, see what they look like.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gezzansw on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Gezzansw

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Kegsy wrote:LR these BD28 are the equivalent to the mn filter according to literature.

The ml use a different baldwin filter again.

Or is there a problem with the Baldwin filter catalogue that you discovered?

I was thinking of ordering one and cutting it open along with a factory filter, see what they look like.

My mistake :oops: . They are dimensionally a little different but not in a way that matters (I measured a genuine one).

It would be an interesting comparison if you open them up and compare. A little way back in this thread someone cut a genuine one open and found it to be very ordinary. What's the bet the Baldwin is better?

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Bought a genuine oil filter today.... $59.94

It truly is a golden oil filter. Local dealer gouges the hell out of everything here. :evil:

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Longranger1 wrote:Bought a genuine oil filter today.... $59.94

It truly is a golden oil filter. Local dealer gouges the hell out of everything here. :evil:

Bargain! I bought mine last week for $70. Sad thing is from an external view they look like rubbish quality, poorly cut daggy thread that had blue fluff caught on the burrs, the oil passage holes around the thread are cut off centre or skewed. Was still in the vacuum wrapping in the box. Looked like the kind of filter you get for $15 from supercheap auto.

I just hope the filtering quality exceeds the external construction quality.
Amaroo

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Amaroo wrote:
Longranger1 wrote:Bought a genuine oil filter today.... $59.94

Bargain! I bought mine last week for $70. Sad thing is from an external view they look like rubbish quality, poorly cut daggy thread that had blue fluff caught on the burrs, the oil passage holes around the thread are cut off centre or skewed. Was still in the vacuum wrapping in the box. Looked like the kind of filter you get for $15 from supercheap auto.

I just hope the filtering quality exceeds the external construction quality.

Apparently what I paid was trade price. You can get genuine filters out of Malaysia for 70 Malaysian Ringat (about $27 aud).

They aren't that flash are they. Other brands like Baldwin are far better constructed. I blow them out with compressed air prior to fitting - I don't trust them either.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 pm

I purchased a box of 6 some time back & got a good price getting a bulk pack. I dont remember the actual price now :roll:

I just supply oil & filter when getting services done & save a few $$ that way
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieTriton on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:54 pm

I've been a Ryco filter user for 35+ years and NEVER had any kind of problem or failure. Lately though, I've been using Sakura filters or Baldwyn, depending on availability. I understand Baldwyn used to make the genuine Caterpillar filters ( I stand corrected on this) and that Sakura make most, if not ALL the OEM filters for the big Japanese car makers (and domestic if I'm not mistaken, INCLUDING MMAL!). When I picked up my Triton, I was told the use of ANY aftermarket parts on my truck would instantly result in MMAL walking away from my warranty. I spoke to the local Consumer Affairs office in town and was told that if I had any problems with warranty like that, to refer the dealer directly to their office and it would be dealt with. Unless the car maker can ABSOLUTELY prove without a doubt that the fitted aftermarket component was the sole cause of the failure, they MUST honour the warranty. This comes straight from Consumer Affairs. It is also Australian Consumer Law. I have CA's phone number on speed dial in my phone now, and I will not argue with the dealer, I will refer them directly to Consumer Affairs and let them handle any issues. Using a QUALITY oil filter CANNOT void engine warranty. If an injecter goes south and blows a piston, and I have a Ryco filter fitted, the dealer cant refuse my warranty...... they can try. 8-)
AussieTriton

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Baldwin filters are pretty good gear.

I notice that the filter I bought recently has a part number of 1230A114 as opposed to 1230A045 or some such. The only difference appears to be that the latter filter has an internal sealing collar that the former hasn't. Same price charged though..

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Just to confirm:

"New Car Warranty: Under the Trade Practices Act, dealers cannot limit their statutory warranty obligations or claim the statutory warranty is void if the vehicle is appropriately serviced by someone other than the dealer or its agent. This applies to new and second hand vehicles (except those sold at auction)."

This includes the use of non-genuine oil, air or fuel filters.
AussieTriton

Postby brodical on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Cairns Mitsubishi told me servicing can be done by any qualified mechanic....and to keep the warranty I had jst have at least one service per year by Mitsubishi .....
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:39 pm

The one service per year by a dealer is to maintain the roadside assist, not the warranty.

While AussieTriton is perfectly correct, if a non-genuine part was to fail and cause an issue then you wouldn't have the benefit of your warranty. If on the other hand a genuine part (say a filter) was to fail then you're going to be looked after because the same people manufactured/sold the faulty part.

While I take the view that many aftermarket products are at least as good, if not better, than genuine parts, during my warranty period I am sticking with genuine stuff to avoid any future arguments. I'm not saying I couldn't win those arguments if they had to be had, and consumer law would be on my side, but if you can negate having the argument altogether that provides additional peace of mind.

Cowboy Dave

Postby brodical on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Well when Aussie says "appropriately serviced" I take it he means by a qualified/ certified mechanic..??? Or just appropriately served by who ever??
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 pm

brodie wrote:Well when Aussie says "appropriately serviced" I take it he means by a qualified/ certified mechanic..??? Or just appropriately served by who ever??

I believe the preference is for a business with appropriately qualified personel to do the servicing, but if a qualified mechanic did the servicing according to the handbook, that could be acceptable.
AussieTriton

Postby AussieTriton on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:The one service per year by a dealer is to maintain the roadside assist, not the warranty.

While AussieTriton is perfectly correct, if a non-genuine part was to fail and cause an issue then you wouldn't have the benefit of your warranty. If on the other hand a genuine part (say a filter) was to fail then you're going to be looked after because the same people manufactured/sold the faulty part.

While I take the view that many aftermarket products are at least as good, if not better, than genuine parts, during my warranty period I am sticking with genuine stuff to avoid any future arguments. I'm not saying I couldn't win those arguments if they had to be had, and consumer law would be on my side, but if you can negate having the argument altogether that provides additional peace of mind.

Your concerns are completely understandable, given the cost of possible engine repairs (and lawyers, court costs, etc.). :D My experience with filter failure is usually incorrect fitting, and mostly over-tightening. That goes for air, fuel, oil, etc. The use of known brands of filters (Ryco, Wix, Baldwyn, etc) would be a good idea anyway, along with quality lubricants.
AussieTriton

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing