Timing Belt - MN GLXR

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Timing Belt - MN GLXR

Postby neville75 on Sun May 03, 2015 7:30 am

Hi Folks
My 2009 MN Glxr has done 40,000km. Had annual services done and now due for the "75,000"km service. The service manual states that timing belt should be done at 75,000km or 5 yr which ever comes first. Mind you, it also mentions platinum spark plugs at 100,000km much like what's in my magna service manual, clearly for petrol vehicles.

My question is does the timing belt need to be replaced, if so, should I just get the timing belt replaced under the 5 yearly interval or would you expect a 40,000km timing belt to last a bit longer?

Nev
neville75

Re: Timing Belt - MN GLXR

Postby har05l on Sun May 03, 2015 8:11 am

I've got nothing but am in awe that you've only done 40k km's :shock:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Sun May 03, 2015 10:38 am

My 07 Petrol is timing belt 90K & sparkplugs @ 100K. I would go with what the log book says as not being a mechanical person can't afford for it to let go when out wheeling.
But everyone makes there own risk versus reward type calls. It is expensive that is for sure.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby gspy4u on Sun May 03, 2015 10:53 am

holy crap ours has already got 27,000k and it's only 9mths old :shock:
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sun May 03, 2015 2:04 pm

neville75 wrote:Hi Folks
My 2009 MN Glxr has done 40,000km. Had annual services done and now due for the "75,000"km service. The service manual states that timing belt should be done at 75,000km or 5 yr which ever comes first. Mind you, it also mentions platinum spark plugs at 100,000km much like what's in my magna service manual, clearly for petrol vehicles.
My question is does the timing belt need to be replaced, if so, should I just get the timing belt replaced under the 5 yearly interval or would you expect a 40,000km timing belt to last a bit longer?
Nev

Hi Nev,
Mate, I'm sorry to say but, you're asking an "un-answerable" question there, you know, a bit like asking 'how long is a bit of string'....? Putting it simply Nev, there is no 'right' answer to your question.
For example if I was to say "yeah no worries Nev, she'll be right to leave it for another year or two until you clock up the full 75,000 Klicks before you change it" and you took my -"advice"- and -somewhere- short of the full 75Ks your timing belt -broke- and resulted in -catastrophic- engine failure, or far worse, catastrophic -loss- of -your life- because, of the catastrophic engine failure occurring just as you planted the foot, to turn out across the path of a fully loaded oncoming Road-Train bearing down on you at 100 Klicks.... :shock: what would be your last thoughts about my -"free advice"- about the safety of ignoring the manufacturer's recommended change interval for your vehicle's timing belt...?? .... :o
I'm sure that your last thought, wouldn't be -"printable"- here.... :lol:
I'm sure, that the manufacturer builds in -"A"- safety margin ie, they wont themselves risk, having you run their timing belts -"to the edge"- of their -"failure"- limits with their own recommended change interval -"BUT"- just how -"fat"- is that safety margin....??
That's where it becomes the 'how long is a piece of string question' Nev....!
Mitsui make the 75Ks -"OR"- 5 years change interval recommendation -"for a reason"- if -"YOU"- should choose to ignore it, then the -"RISK"- of doing so, is entirely upon -"YOUR"- shoulders.
IF YOU DO decide to "push the limits" Nev, then be sure to remember that last point, when you've got your whole family loaded into the car, and your sitting there impatiently, waiting your chance to "give her a boot-full" and turn out in front of the path of that fast approaching, fully loaded Road-Train.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby neville75 on Sun May 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks for the very reasoned viewpoint. I'm sure there is a margin before the rubber band snaps, but probably best to err on the side of "not being a tighta$$" and get it done. Now I've just gotta find someone to entrust that surgery to. Wouldn't give my local dealer my pushbike to service, let alone the triton.
Thanks again, Nev.
neville75

Postby wesley on Sun May 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Excellent answer from old fart.Most people overlook the fact that we carry a precious cargo at times,wouldn't want to be in low 1st pointing downhill when something fails.
wesley

Postby biggibbo on Sun May 03, 2015 6:26 pm

My manual on the diesel MN says to replace every 100,000 and no mention of yrs.
biggibbo

Postby Longranger1 on Mon May 04, 2015 4:34 am

biggibbo wrote:My manual on the diesel MN says to replace every 100,000 and no mention of yrs.

That sounds right. 75k? Not so sure unless it was time based as well.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mIwoo on Mon May 04, 2015 5:35 am

90k service.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Timing Belt - MN GLXR

Postby biggibbo on Mon May 04, 2015 7:11 am

My dealer recommended combining with the 105,000 as its a relatively minor service. The 90k is exxy, and 10k too early
biggibbo

Postby RHKTriton on Mon May 04, 2015 7:41 am

The whole rubber band saga has really thrown a pain into the engine maintenance equation.

In some cases manufacturers have nearly halved their original replacement schedules due to unforeseen failures.

Then in others its as mad as the 3.2 having to disconnect the fuel system to get at the valves, where major surgery has to take place to get at it.

With relatively slower revving diesels the good old fashion push rod setup would offer some benefits.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Mon May 04, 2015 8:02 am

Mine snapped the balance shaft belt just after 75000 kms. It wasn't oil soaked from an oil leakage and I don't rev the engine hard..... Maybe that's why! :lol:
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby AnOldFart on Tue May 05, 2015 12:31 pm

biggibbo wrote:My manual on the diesel MN says to replace every 100,000 and no mention of yrs.

Decided to go and check my own MN Mitsui Service Logbook "biggi" and yep, for the 4D56 it says "Timing Belt - Replace every 100,000 Kms -OR- 5 Years, whichever occurs first" .... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Tue May 05, 2015 12:41 pm

This thread just reminded me mins due again in at the 245,000. Yes, my old dealer didn't replace it at 100,000 when he was supposed to and I forgot about it till it hit 150,000. Wish the aftermarket belt kits were trust worthy as would safe a few hundred dollars. Atleast by not using a dealer I will save on labour $
biggibbo

Postby GLRkenny on Tue May 05, 2015 7:56 pm

biggibbo wrote:This thread just reminded me mins due again in at the 245,000. Yes, my old dealer didn't replace it at 100,000 when he was supposed to and I forgot about it till it hit 150,000. Wish the aftermarket belt kits were trust worthy as would safe a few hundred dollars. Atleast by not using a dealer I will save on labour $

Why wouldn't you trust a dayco or similar aftermarket kit?
GLRkenny

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 05, 2015 8:14 pm

I bought a set of dayco aftermarket belts (not timing but the other two) and only one of them fit. That would tend to put me off for something as important as timing.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Tue May 05, 2015 9:27 pm

GLRkenny wrote:
biggibbo wrote:This thread just reminded me mins due again in at the 245,000. Yes, my old dealer didn't replace it at 100,000 when he was supposed to and I forgot about it till it hit 150,000. Wish the aftermarket belt kits were trust worthy as would safe a few hundred dollars. Atleast by not using a dealer I will save on labour $

My mechanic who does alot of tritons said he has a few probs with the after market belts not being the right guage. After hearing that and then seeing a similar thing from another member here on the forum, I will not risk the timing belt on an after market jobby to save a few hungie.

My drive belt and A/C compressor pump are after market and fit fine.
biggibbo

Postby AnOldFart on Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 pm

biggibbo wrote:
GLRkenny wrote:

My mechanic who does alot of tritons said he has a few probs with the after market belts not being the right guage. After hearing that and then seeing a similar thing from another member here on the forum, I will not risk the timing belt on an after market jobby to save a few hungie.

My drive belt and A/C compressor pump are after market and fit fine.

Also, the Dayco timing belts that I've seen advertised on flea-bay are only 'warranted' for 3 years....! :shock:
So I'm with you there "biggi" when it comes to the timing belt, I'll happily pay the extra few 'folding reddies' to Mr Mitsui Stealer, for the "real-McCoy" version, complete with the 'real' Mitsui warranty on it.... ;)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dinos4x4 on Wed May 06, 2015 12:22 am

I got a dayco timing belt kit with the timing belt, balance shaft belt, tensioners and idler pulleys for half the price on eBay than the dealer which is probably just well known brand rebadged mitsubishi.
dinos4x4

Postby Lee-thal on Wed May 06, 2015 7:47 am

Definately repalce at 5 years or 100000km, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST

have seen a few of these break over the years, more so the balance shaft belts than anything, but noen the less, it can still be catastrophic if it breaks.
Lee-thal

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 am

Definitely should go genuine on items such as timing, esp with interference valve setups, as the the aftermarket "belt teeth" may be out of phase. :evil: :lol:

Seriously, if you can find an aftermarket unit with the same construction and warranty there shouldn't be any problem. Sometimes a haggle with a dealer can just about null out any cost difference with third party gear.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 am

Definitely should go genuine on items such as timing, esp with interference valve setups, as the the aftermarket "belt teeth" may be out of phase. :evil: :lol:

Seriously, if you can find an aftermarket unit with the same construction and warranty there shouldn't be any problem. Sometimes a haggle with a dealer can just about null out any cost difference with third party gear.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wesley on Wed May 06, 2015 6:30 pm

Replaced mine at Easter,Dayco kit KTA-281H,according to the box it meets or exceeds OEM requirments.All the idlers are NTN bearings and the kit delivered to my door in Victoria $375 from Western Filters in Sydney.Is it better than genuine,i don't know.Is it a second grade product? Wouldn't think so.
wesley

Postby GLRkenny on Wed May 06, 2015 7:39 pm

Bit nervous typing this as I don't want to jinx it but I've never had an issue with an aftermarket kit and have fitted heaps of them............touch wood
GLRkenny

Next

Return to Servicing