60K service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

60K service

Postby TUFF TROOP on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Yeah valve adjustments always were at 30k intervals
TUFF TROOP

Re: 60K service

Postby trouble on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 pm

I was quoted just over $800 for the 60k sevice which includes tappets, which have never been done. (never needed it) However it will this service it sounds like a a masey Fergurson tractor.
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby snowman on Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:17 am

Just had 60,000klm service completed. (at 67,000lms :oops: but i do oils every 7.5k klm)

Service including synthetic oil and no air filter (running finer filter) was $820.00 incl GST

To remove and clean inlet manifolds from carbon buildup was $550.00 incl GST (took two days in the tank :shock: )

service included tappet adjustment and 4 were "quite loose" at the rear of the engine, all the rest were within spec. So worth doing i assume.

All work completed at West End Diesel Wetherill Park Sydney. Can't fault their service as they were good to deal with and kept me informed of overrun due to inlets.

Photo of inlet pre-clean
Mitsubishi Triton 014.jpg

post clean
Mitsubishi Triton 006.jpg

For the record the EGR was blanked around the 8000klm mark and was only removed at approx 33,000 when the MRT tune was loaded (and blank removed). So the photos you see are from approximately 40,000klms. :evil: Of those 40k 8 were at factory spec and the rest were at supposedly "reduced" MRT EGR. They claim only 5% EGR at throttle percentages below 20% which is clearly a lot when city driving.

MRT tune has been reloaded ($400) to no allow and EGR plate to be run. Only two days in, but so far so good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:26 pm

^^^ glad MRT have worked out a tune to allow the blank Snowy.
Bet your glad you have the blank back in.. 8-)
BTW $550 is a fair price IMO for the work involved.
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby snowman on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:28 pm

NTBB wrote:^^^ glad MRT have worked out a tune to allow the blank Snowy.
Bet your glad you have the blank back in.. 8-)
BTW $550 is a fair price IMO for the work involved.

Yes i am. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

expecting slightly worse economy but i will keep an eye on that as well.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:54 am

I'm now due for my 60k service.

Can I option for them to only do an audible check of the tappets. I don't want those c*&%s opening up my engine again. I know it's all good and the tappets are fine. No need to open it up.
GLX-R Alex

Postby snowman on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:30 am

i am sure you can ask for work not to be done, certainly at a normal mechanic.

How can you be so sure that it does not need doing?
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:33 am

Because the performance is perfect, no audible tappet noise. And I don't want the pricks fooling around in there where they will only [censored] it up.
GLX-R Alex

Postby Tsap on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:12 pm

I do not Understand why a brand new vech needs its tappets adjusted, we all did not by second hand cars. mits should be paying for their incompetency
Tsap

Postby gregned on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:18 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:Because the performance is perfect, no audible tappet noise. And I don't want the pricks fooling around in there where they will only $@#&% it up.

How do you know the valve clearance is not too tight due to seat wear? In this case there will be no audible tappet noise.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby Evo_Triton on Tue May 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Tsap wrote:I do not Understand why a brand new vech needs its tappets adjusted, we all did not by second hand cars. mits should be paying for their incompetency

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Do u want mits to pay for ur engine oil breaking down and getting dirty?
Do u want mits to pay for ur new brake pads coz they keeping getting thinner?

If u dont want ur valve clearances adjusted thats fine, dont start and run ur engine! Will save u heaps in oil and brake pads also!
Mitsubishi Service Skills National Finals 2011/2012 Equal 2nd Technician.
Evo_Triton

Postby snowman on Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Evo_Triton wrote:
Tsap wrote:I do not Understand why a brand new vech needs its tappets adjusted, we all did not by second hand cars. mits should be paying for their incompetency

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

If u dont want ur valve clearances adjusted thats fine, dont start and run ur engine! Will save u heaps in oil and brake pads also!

i'll bite on this one. a $200 + valve adjustment every 30,000klms is a farking joke in my opinion.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Evo_Triton on Wed May 09, 2012 8:41 am

snowman wrote:
Evo_Triton wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!

i'll bite on this one. a $200 + valve adjustment every 30,000klms is a farking joke in my opinion.

ur intitled to ur own opinion, im just saying mine.

I not only see tritons but pajeros and now pb challangers, all day everyday in for servicing some have had their valves clearances adjusted when required, some have not, whether it be from the technician, mechanic, service dept or owner not doing it for various reasons, thats fine by me.

i will tell u this, one that has had its valve clearances adjusted when required will easily have smoother and better takeoff, better fuel economy and prob have longer life than one which hasn't.

I road test drive most cars i work on before and after. I road test all diesel mits vehicles (asx, triton, challanger and pajero) before and after, in particular ones that r getting their valve clearances adjusted. Not everyone can tell the difference, before and after this has been done correctly, but when u road test and work on these cars all day u do notice the difference.

Im not just saying this coz i work as a service technician for a mits dealer but i own a mn glxr and want the best for my triton and for my/our customers.

If u dnt want to get ur valves clearances adjusted every 30k coz u want to save some money or dont belive thats required thats fine. Mits engineers arnt saying its needs to b done for the hell of it.
Mitsubishi Service Skills National Finals 2011/2012 Equal 2nd Technician.
Evo_Triton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I don't see it so much as a criticism of the mechanics, more a criticism of those who designed the engine in such a way that it requires regular invasive and expensive tinkering, that's all.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Lee-thal on Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 pm

CD, whats worse, More expensive initial outlay or a bit more on servicing? Maybe they could introduce a DPF style exhaust to combat other issues, More cost again.

At the end of the day the manufacturer and engineers do this for a very specific reason, Exactly what that is i dont know, But the more they have to change designs etc, the more costly the vehicle will be.

i can tell you for a fact that the Engineers in Japan that designed the engine reccomend the Valves to be done every 15000km!!! Now Mits aus did not want this because of the flow on effect it would have and they negotiated to have them done every 30000 instead. Imagine if we were back to the days of needing to service more often, not 12 months or 15000, but back to 7500km or 6 months. That would work out a LOT more expensive than having to do valves every 30000km.

My 2 cents anyway.

Cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed May 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Okay now I'm scared. Every 15,000? :o :shock:

Every now and then I pause and ponder the complexities of these vehicles and engines and such. I soon realise they are well beyond my understanding. I sometimes wonder though that they keep running at all. All those hundreds of thousands of revolutions, ups and downs, ins and outs, over and over and over again, all the little parts having to act in concert and so rarely do they go bang and die. After a couple of minutes of thinking like that I snap out of it and go and get another drink and try and think about something else.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Lee-thal on Thu May 10, 2012 5:45 am

CD,

Yep, I try to forget about them 90% of the time, Think about it anymore and it can drive you nuts.

Cheers Lee
Lee-thal

Postby borngeek on Thu May 10, 2012 6:23 am

I will be having a tappet adjustment performed at my now approaching 75K.. (Had done at 60K and they were ALL out - a couple were considered "BAD").

Will report back how bad they are after 15K.
My engine is probably pushed a little bit harder than most, however.. :?

//
For the record I do NOT have my services performed by a "Mitsubishi Authorised Dealer". (I call them MAD's :P )
Only as I have not found one that satisfies my expectations of customer service, where I live. Each to their own on this subject. I am not scared to vigorously pursue any genuine warranty concerns with my local mits dealer, and have had success with them, via MMAL, on EVERY occasion. So far... Even got a personal letter from MMAL a couple weeks ago reminding me to register for extended warranty. :o 8-)

My experiences with MMAL have always been exceptionally good. My experiences with dealers not so much... :|

I do know there are good one(s) out there, just not close to me. Dealers are private businesses, not a MMAL company. <Lots here forget that.

===
Truth is my private servicing is more thorough and therefore more expensive than you would expect by a MMAL authorised dealership, performing a "log book" service. I ask for more, I pay more. I replace ALL fluids every 15K. I go above and beyond what the "log book" specifies. I use genuine parts & lubricants supplied and invoiced by a authorised dealer. :geek:

//a diatribe, completely off topic... how unusual. :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stooge on Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm

$329 -> 60k service at zupps in Aspley.
Stooge

Postby Snooozy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:35 pm

phoned a couple of dealers to get a price on my up-coming 60k/4yr service

where I spent my hard earned buying the Tri I was quoted $1100-$1200 :shock: :o
I then asked about a loan car for he day & was told 'we dont have one, but we can hire you a car for $45'. :evil:

phoned a dealer in the northern suburbs (only ever purchased a few spare parts) & was told $870 less oil & filter which I will supply.
loan car for the day also at no charge.

I think I know where I will be going in future.

My wife is due for a car in the next 12mths, I know where I will NOT be going to purchase one. :twisted:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 am

Stooge wrote:$329 -> 60k service at zupps in Aspley.

Guarantee the tappets weren't done :roll: , they alone cost $620 ;) and we all know they are part of the warranty schedule
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:54 am

Unless he has a V6 maybe?

Cowboy Dave

Postby mad992 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 am

and also its an old post?
mad992

Postby KRBMN on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 pm

$1748 with front pads and discs machined and a car wash was thrown in for free
KRBMN

Postby har05l on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 am

KRBMN wrote:$1748 with front pads and discs machined and a car wash was thrown in for free

Car wash for free :?

I think you got done and don't even realise it :shock:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing