60K service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

60K service

Postby Austblue on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:11 am

Its that time again :(

I just rang Kloster and they've quoted me $620 for the full service or $420 if I do the oil and oil filter. Quite a good discount I reckon but then I guess that highlights that they're charging a bit.

Main items are
Oil and filter $200???
Fuel filter ??
Tappet checks $150 (1.5hrs @$99/hr if adjustment is required its more $$$)
brakes etc.

Has anyone here changed their own fuel filter? If so did you go OEM and also can anyone give me some instructions?

Also who here that does their own services uses an oil filter tool? I struggled last time and ended up punching a screwdriver through the bloody thing and out the other side and made a nice mess :(

Anyone made one?
Austblue

Re: 60K service

Postby Blue on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:31 am

from Chadstone...

filter: $38.11
oil: $51.60

All genuine at my 15k
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ArrowsWA on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:53 am

Hey Austblue , I carry a spare fuel filter (in case I get a batch of of poor diesel one day '' ie water content'' as happened to me about 8 years back in another vehicle) my son showed me how to change the filter, was surprisingly simple (if fiddlely) the manual goes a long way to showing how this is done, just watch out on getting all the air our as you pump the fuel back in manually after changing oh it would help if you had hands the size of a 6 year old as well or expect skinned knuckles, not a lot of room to work as usual
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby subi_man on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Had my 60K service done last week. Total cost was $529 (excl. GST). Labour was $357, parts $172 and the valve clearances were adjusted. As discussed in another thread the carbon buildup was removed and redesigned section of inlet manifold fitted under warranty
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Re: 60k service

Postby Greedy on Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 am

There's another thread on this Tex. Not too much in it though. Link. Sounds good compared to the prices mentioned in other thread.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 am

Two 60K threads merged 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby boo-ya on Thu May 21, 2009 3:38 pm

Had my 60k service done today at ultratune, $500 even. that included air filter, brake fluid replacment and coolant flush and refill. Very good price i thought and drives well. Was qouted $710 by dealer for just the service.
boo-ya

Postby YogiOz on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:24 am

Just paid 760-ish - incl new front brake pads. Also got 'em to check the manifold for sooting. Got a new one on the way!
Mick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people are like a Slinky; they aren't good for anything, but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
YogiOz

Postby 4x4freak on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Guys

Mine is due for its 60k service . What do they do ? They want to charge me R 6k here in south africa. I think that is equal to about $ 860??
4x4freak

Postby Llevian on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Heya,

Just got 60k service done on new to me ML GLX at a local dealer. Cost was $740 all up including flushes on vitually every system (ex governemnt ute). Mitsu wanted $550 for service without flushes and $420 for tappet adjustment. Runs like it should now.
Llevian

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Well...mine's due for its 60k service. I asked whether valve clearances need doing yet and the response was that only done if engine not performing as required when tested; they usually don't touch em unless needed. Back at 30k the mechanic suggested not required until 45k - which seemed fair, however someone has to lift the rocker cover eventually to check clearances. I was quoted around $600 with valve work.

How far have others gone without the valves being done? Would assume some settling of seats and stretch in stems, or not?

What really needs to happen is a revised rocker cover that leaves the injector plumbing alone when valves need looking at.

Do Pajeros have hydraulic lash adjusters or do they have the same krappy set up? Would consider a head swap later on.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:27 am

Pajero runs the same,

They should be done every 30000km and anyone that tells you to only adjust when there is a problem is not someone i would want working on my car.
AS long as the injector pipes are treated with care and refitted correctly you won have an issue.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 am

Yes thats my feeling too.
I had a look in the service manual and it doesn't seem too major an operation to adjust. I thought they used a bucket-shim arrangement but luckily use a set screw - son no consumeables.

The manual was a bit vague - it only mentions setting No1 cylinder to TDC checking clearances and then No4 Cylinder.

How do you tell a POT is a TDC - not like a petrol where you can stick a screw driver in spark plug hole?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Timing marks on crankshaft front pulley???????????????????
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby cookemonsta on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Just had 60k done in WA with front discs machined , wheels aligned and rotated grand total was $780 thought it was great customer service etc ask for Gabrielle in Morley
cookemonsta

Postby mike13 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Just paid $476.00 inc. at the stealer in Wagga on the list of things done "check ignition timing" it's a diesel!!!
mike13

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 02, 2011 12:22 pm

mike13 wrote:Just paid $476.00 inc. at the stealer in Wagga on the list of things done "check ignition timing" it's a diesel!!!

I'm picturing an apprentice and a stop-watch :lol: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby andyj on Mon May 02, 2011 6:52 pm

^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol:
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby tassie_ml on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:51 pm

my V6 is due for this service. rang the local dealer and said I had an 07 Triton ready for a 60k service and before I could ask for a price, he butted in and said $871 without even breathing :roll:

once I told him it was a V6 he corrected himself and faffed around for 5 minutes then came back with $310.

Local mechanic (largish local chain of garages) reckons they will do it for $200 flat.....only needs oil/filter and check everything else so I was happy with that, guess who got my business :mrgreen:
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby salt36 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Shepparton Mitsubishi $305 for 60,000k service which includes outsourced wheel alignment as I complained about the steering wheel not being straight :D

Mind you they stripped every bolt holding my bash plates on :x

Goes back in next week for two days to fix rear main oil seal, they have to pull the gearbox out :lol:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby tassie_ml on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 pm

yeah Craig, local delaer quoted me $310 so I took it to the local chain down here that does log book servicing and it only cost me $195 :mrgreen:

I took the bash plates off myself before the service as the muppets put them on wrong after the last service and refitted them when I got home :roll:

that rear main seal sux, how many k's on your bus now ??
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby tradieb on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Ringing around for quotes on a 60k service, one dealer quotes me $930 (i thought your joking). Wasnt a bad bloke, so had a chat to him about the carbon build up and replacement manifold. He was fully aware of the problem and happy to have it replaced. I told him i couldnt commit to booking it in as that sounds very expensive for this service and i would ring around for other prices. He then talks about adjusting/checking the tappets and that its a 3 hour job (im thinking excellent, you know what your on about).

Second dealer quotes $550 (im thinking you little ripper) thats a substantial saving! BUT (theres always a but) If the tappets need adjusting it will be $950. I mentioned to him that the car is very sluggish, using excess fuel and 'bunny hops' in an attempt to discuss the possibility of a carbon build up in the manifold. He comes back with no, most likely whoever did my last service hasnt installed the fuel filter correctly and that the vehicle 'probably' hasnt been remapped since its 15k service.

I tell him (in a calm and collected voice) that ive been doing alot of research on the carbon build up and that its a common problem with the ML. He says unless the engine light is coming on, all they would do is hook it upto the computer and unless its reading a fault then they wouldnt change the manifold.

That is where i ended my conversation with him.
Its nice to be important, BUT its important to be nice..
tradieb

Postby Greg_MLVR08 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:23 am

Have just dropped my Triton off for 60K service - dealer in southern subs of Sydney - Having just read the posts here, I feel sick

The estimate for the service was $1000.00, yeah okay, I'll pay for being lazy this time. He justifies this with time for tappett adjustment and the fuel filter. Then I went thru my list of issues, rough idle, constant smoke, cross threaded wheel stud (which they were responsible for) & hand brake adjust. I said I wanted the intake manifold changed under warranty, gave him the reasons why, he said they will check and let me know

Okay, I walk away kicking myself for being in this position - no more than 5 minutes later, the service advisor has called to say he miss quoted the original estimate, it should have been $1,150. i checked the mirror when I got to work to make sure I did not have the big "L" plastered on my forehead.

I took the truck here in the first place to get the book stamped for the extended warranty, got the MMAL letter....

Oh well - expensive lesson learnt - hope some of you can learn from my lazyness and stupidity
Greg_MLVR08

Postby Greg_MLVR08 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Greg_MLVR08 wrote:Have just dropped my Triton off for 60K service - dealer in southern subs of Sydney - Having just read the posts here, I feel sick

The estimate for the service was $1000.00, yeah okay, I'll pay for being lazy this time. He justifies this with time for tappett adjustment and the fuel filter. Then I went thru my list of issues, rough idle, constant smoke, cross threaded wheel stud (which they were responsible for) & hand brake adjust. I said I wanted the intake manifold changed under warranty, gave him the reasons why, he said they will check and let me know

Okay, I walk away kicking myself for being in this position - no more than 5 minutes later, the service advisor has called to say he miss quoted the original estimate, it should have been $1,150. i checked the mirror when I got to work to make sure I did not have the big "L" plastered on my forehead.

I took the truck here in the first place to get the book stamped for the extended warranty, got the MMAL letter....

Oh well - expensive lesson learnt - hope some of you can learn from my lazyness and stupidity
Well got the truck back after being told they need it over night - "cold start test" for the rough idle and exxcessive fuel consumption. I pushed about the intake manifold replacement, and was told that MMAL have mofified the service schedule now for Tritons, with valve clearances now checked and adjusted every 30K, 60K and 90K as part of a new approach to this.

So with this adjustment, they did a re-program and SQL(???) and found all okay, so time will tell, The service advisor said that this usually works in 95% of all cases, we'll see

Also, the estimate was spot on, a coincidence ???
Greg_MLVR08

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:51 pm

I thought the clearances were always every 30k?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Servicing