Issue with Dealer 90000 service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby brinkybull on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:35 am

Hi All
I have a issue with my ute completed 90000 km service on a 2014 MN Triton.

I was originally quoted approx $600 , and $1143 if I did the timing belts, but the mitsubishi service centre said do the belts at 100000 which I agreed.

Anyway I picked up the ute yesterday arvo and was presented a bill for $1184 , which they say was the 90000 km service with valves adjusted but no belts done. I questioned this bill and showed them the quote which had the belts included which was cheaper than what they were charging for this service without the belts being done.

A more senior service desk person looked at the quote and the service invoice , and reduced the bill to $681.

I paid and left and got a call 15 minutes down the road saying he had just spoke with the service technican and my belts were changed but the valves only a audible check as they didn't require adustment , and he will make a new service form out and adjust the mitsi records, the price remained $681 due to their stuff up.

I told him I have doubts the belts were done , he assured me they were, I said if they weren't done and my belts let go after the warranty is out where do I stand , as effectively they shouldn't need doing until another 100000 km , the service guy reckons he will adjust all records and I would be covered if the belts break and cause massive engine damage.

We also don't wont't to get stranded somewhere with engine failure , and also find a repair bill that won't be covered under warranty , and have this lingering doubt whether they were really done or not.

I guess I want to know is there a way of checking for sure the belts were replaced, any advise would be appreciated.

Please note there is nothing in the stamped servcie book to say they were replaced , but he going to supply a invoice stating they were.
Thanks
shane
brinkybull

Re: Issue with Dealer 90000 service

Postby gspy4u on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:30 am

If they give you an official invoice saying they were changed then that should be all you need. I don't think there would be a simple way of seeing unless you start taking some of the covers off to see if it's new looking or not. Make sure they also changed pulleys etc or it's a waist of time if it's just "the belt"

Give you great confidence in them doesn't it !
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:36 am

sounds like a load of BS, Just to do timing belt and balance belt is normally about $500 on its own.
Top cover is easy to get off, a few bolts, see if you can see writing on the belts, they should look brand new.

What parts are listed in your invoice? Parts charge every part to a job card, so if they were done, they would be listed on the invoice to you.
Lee-thal

Postby Tony on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:47 am

Where are you located Shane?

As Lee-thal has hinted, something not add up here. if timing set done properly could be over $500 just in parts. (They may have done belts alone). Very serious issue this and most likely mode of failure if not replaced.

You should see marks and evidence on the cover bolts (Top one is easy to remove to inspect belt) and the large bolt on harmonic balance.

Audible check on valves :roll: seriously.... they more likely have tight tolerances, how do they listen for that? :roll: :lol: So long as valve clearances have been checked and adjusted once prior this, I would not worry too much anyway.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby brinkybull on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:25 am

thanks for the reply gents.

I have had a run in with them in the past , in regards to the valve adjustment , as I was told by service desk guy that audible check only , it was also written on the front invoice audible check only, but then on the 2nd page of invoice were the charges for the gaskets etc and labour. When questioned they said it was done , not a audible check.

In this instance I put the car in for a 90,000 service which didn't include the belts , as it was agreed to have them done at 100,000. The $1184 original invoice didn't include the belts , just the 90,000 service which included valves adjustment.

I was then supplied with a 2nd invoice that reduced the price to $681, things n the invoice state checked and adjusted valve clearances , replaced the following air filter , fuel filter, manual transmission oil , transfer case oil, front and rear diff oil, engine coolant and brake fluid , carried out the recall 010114.

I then received the call on way home , saying that the valves weren't done but , the timing belts were and issued a new invoice by email , stating timing and balance belts replaced , and they appeared on the new invoice in the parts section.

I haven't been able to see the job card.

I will be taking the issue up with Service Manager and Mitsubishi Aust, because I am so much doubt as to what they did , more importantly that they say they did the belts and they didn't and we end up with engine failure.

if my wife picked up the ute and paid the original bill without questioning , we would be in in at 100,000 klms for the belts

thanks
Last edited by brinkybull on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
brinkybull

Postby brinkybull on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks too Tony , I will check the bolts and harmonic balance bolt , if I get no joy , I will have my mechanic from a private business visually check the belts
brinkybull

Postby brinkybull on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:35 am

The workshop manager has offered for me to bring the ute in and removal of cover to show new belts , he assures me they were done, so I am taking up his offer.

Thanks for the suggestions, this Ute has been 100% reliable and we want to keep it that way
brinkybull

Postby Lee-thal on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Well i hope for yours and their sake that they are done,
Cause thats the cheapest 90k service and timing belt you will ever see from ANYONE.
Lee-thal

Postby mudslinger on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Which dealer was it?
mudslinger

Postby Tony on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:53 pm

mudslinger wrote:Which dealer was it?

Perhaps best ask this via PM?
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Big worry how the dealers story and figures could just change so easily.

Certainly not an environment of trust.

The whole OH&S scene has also given dealers an advantage these days, you can't wander in like the old days and actually witness work in progress.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Sounds like a load of Malcolm TurnBull..... :roll:
leonbee

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:55 pm

leonbee wrote:Sounds like a load of Malcolm TurnBull..... :roll:

You sound like a load of turnbull
Leonbee Posting that comment more than once!!!! Here and other threads...
I'm looking fwd to some more helpfull input from you Leon!!!
Instead of your one line rebutle ...how about why ? you think that people's posts are a load of crap!

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby leonbee on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:53 pm

viking shippy wrote:
leonbee wrote:Sounds like a load of Malcolm TurnBull..... :roll:

You sound like a load of turnbull
Leonbee Posting that comment more than once!!!! Here and other threads...
I'm looking fwd to some more helpfull input from you Leon!!!
Instead of your one line rebutle ...how about why ? you think that people's posts are a load of crap!

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old

I was referring to the actions of the dealer and using the election circus as a Joke to lighten things up.

Your right, I will leave the forum as my input here is non productive.
leonbee

Postby brinkybull on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:55 am

Just left the dealer service centre, and inspected the new belts when they removed the cover , so yes they have been done , and the team has dealt with the confusion very well. Thanks for the feedback , I guess they will be more careful doing the paperwork next time
brinkybull

Return to Servicing