90K Service Beware

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: 90K Service Beware

Postby Froggy on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:57 pm

adamhunt1 wrote:thanks froggymicb - Lee's gone home for day but will try tomorrow.

I am hoping to get my manifold checked at the same time - is it worth pursuing if the only symptom so far is high fuel economy? its done 90,000 and the only alarm bell in service history is at 60k - service note that blowing lots of black smoke from exhaust - remedied with an ECU update (fuel system) and test. :?

No problems mate!
If they are adjusting the tappets they should clean the manifold (already half way there). I know lee did that at 120,000 on mine
Froggy

Postby Duck on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Hey Adam try Aspley Auto for aquote on Zillmere road North Brisbane he has been my mechanic for my last 3 triton's & he does a great job at a great price, replaces stuff that needs replacing, if its OK leave it alone, asks you if you want genuine or aftermarket parts & will suggest which bits he would do genuine & which he would not really down to earth & will not stitch you up.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby jester on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Just had 90k service today.
grease oil and filter change, cleaned and reoiled finer filter, replaced fuel filter, engine management system diagnostic check. pressure test engine cooling system, inspect, cooling system hoses, drained flushed out and refilled cooling system.
changed gearbox and transfer case oils, changed front and rear diff oils, inspect brakes and adjust where needed, drained flushed and refilled hydrolic brake system.
checked front and rear suspension and steering for wear and alignment issues.
checked all tyres for wear and correct pressures.
checked all under bonnet fluid levels, checked all lights, wipers and horn operation, road test vehicle and report.
repaired bash plate bolts rusted and broken off.

oil filter $38.50
sump plug gasket $2.50
windscreen washer additive $1.00
wynns professional service program $39.50
penrite synthetic transmission oil $74.80
penrite 90 lsd diff oil $56.70
a/c delco engine coolent $44.00
brake fluid $16.00
fuel filter $43.60
finer filter cleaning fluids $9.10
labour $397.35
total $723.05

there was no mention of tapet adjustment done, just wondering how important this is? should i go chase it up and get it done or just not worry about it?
Never use force, use a bigger hammer. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
jester

Postby adamhunt1 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Hey Jester - was it a dealer service or a standard mechanic?
adamhunt1

Postby jester on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:04 pm

it was my standard mechanic, vehicle no longer under warrenty so i dont see a need to use the dealer, unless i really have to.
jester

Postby gregned on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey Jester
Re the clearance check.
If it was my car I would chase it up, if the clearance is too tight it could lead to a burnt valve.

Greg
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby jester on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 pm

ok, after talking to my mechanic, and he did some ringing around to double check, he has come back to me and said that the valve clearence check is an audiable one, as the valves are bucket and shim, so there isn`t actually anything to adjust with out replacing the sleeves ( i think he said) he said if i really want him to he can pull it all open, but the book and his contact said it is only an audiable one. can anyone either confirm or deny this is correct? :?
jester

Postby gregned on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Audible check won't pick up a valve with inadequate valve clearance only one with excessive clearance.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby NTBB on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Not a bucket and shim set up jetster.
They do need checking IMO
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby coxy47 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Definitely do need checking jester and as far as I'm aware they are adjustable. They need to be set to something in the range of 0.05mm or some other fraction of a mm. Can't remember what the workshop manual says exactly.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk
coxy47

Postby Lee-thal on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 am

The are DEFINATELY not Bucket and Shim in the Diesel Tritons. They are Adjustable. Dont know who he spoke to but they obviously dont know what they are talking about.
Lee-thal

Postby snowman on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 am

as others have said i went to my recent service mechanic and got this response...

"The valve clearances on your Triton are adjustable by screw & nut adjusters. They were reset to specification & 4 were found slightly loose. With a diesel engine you would not really notice much in the way of noise reduction. At West End Diesel ‘valve clearance adjustments’ are that by a physical adjustment.
I can only comment on your engine which is a 4M41, which definitely is adjustable as noted in the service schedule operation F adjust valve clearances."

I am no mechanic but in my opinion i could hear no difference in noise even though 4 were loose before adjustment.

i would ensure that this work was done properly and certainly would not PAY for an 'audible check'.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jester on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 pm

ok thanks guys. general concensous....get them checked and adjusted. back to the mechanic it goes.
jester

90K Service Beware

Postby irwazza on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoted $1150 for this service for my ML at my local dealership. Will definently be trying my luck with getting new manifolds :)
irwazza

Postby Evo_Triton on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 pm

gregned wrote:Im sure ML has a timing chain and MN has a belt.

yes ur right, mostly!

ML 4M41 3.2L Has a timing chain.
ML 4D56 2.5L Has a timing belt.

MN 4D56 2.5L Has a timing belt.
MN 4D56HP 2.5L Has a timing belt.

Im a technician at a mitsu dealer in melb south east suburbs and a new triton owner, i am in the middle of talking and trying to implement a service and parts discount for members here, with my service manager and parts manager, so stay tuned.
Mitsubishi Service Skills National Finals 2011/2012 Equal 2nd Technician.
Evo_Triton

90K Service Beware

Postby Joe on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Good job evo :D
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Yeah good job. I am :D but my wallet is :o :shock: :cry:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby adamhunt1 on Fri May 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Following my 90k service on 2.5 ML (which didn't end up with a valve adjustment as apparently MMA don't have the parts in Australia to do?), the old girl still wasn't running right. Just struggled with everything from highway to hill and sounded like it was gasping. Back to stealer, and after pushing and pushing for manifold check, lo and behold they run a diagnostic and find the engine running "super hot" though the dash guage is not showing any change. After more pushing, they found a crack in the radiator and can't tell me how long its been there, but basically said that its not good at all. I have convinced them to do a full compression check etc to see if any other damage has been done. Luckily so far under warranty (including new steering column) but I am really worried about long term damage due to driving around with the engine overheating essentially.

Question - what should I get them to check to pick up any damage from overheating?
adamhunt1

Postby samos69 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:40 am

Just to add to this, my ML 3.2 auto is at 89kms and I just rang the local dealer in Wellington to price the 90km service. They want $1080+GST ($1242 incl).

The service manager said that it was 4.5 hours labour which included valve clearance adjustment.

Parts:
Oil, fuel and air filters
Coolant flush
Brake fluid flush
Front and rear diff oil change
G/box oil change
Engine oil change

And its due a WOF..

Ouch. :cry:
samos69

Postby andyj on Sun May 27, 2012 8:24 pm

samos69 wrote:Just to add to this, my ML 3.2 auto is at 89kms and I just rang the local dealer in Wellington to price the 90km service. They want $1080+GST ($1242 incl).

The service manager said that it was 4.5 hours labour which included valve clearance adjustment.

Parts:
Coolant flush
Brake fluid flush
G/box oil change
Engine oil change

And its due a WOF..

That's about right I paid that about 3 years ago in Alice springs.......
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby Kgi on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:53 am

Evo_Triton wrote:

yes ur right, mostly!

Im a technician at a mitsu dealer in melb south east suburbs and a new triton owner, i am in the middle of talking and trying to implement a service and parts discount for members here, with my service manager and parts manager, so stay tuned.

Hey mate how did you go with the deal as my 90k service is comming up very quickly!
Kgi

Postby samos69 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:39 am

andyj wrote:
samos69 wrote:Just to add to this, my ML 3.2 auto is at 89kms and I just rang the local dealer in Wellington to price the 90km service. They want $1080+GST ($1242 incl).

Parts:
Coolant flush
Brake fluid flush
G/box oil change
Engine oil change

And its due a WOF..

That's about right I paid that about 3 years ago in Alice springs.......

Turns out my dealer is awesome - they checked all the fluids and said that the g/box and diffs were clean and didn't need changing so they would defer until the next service. Given my brakes had been done 12 months ago when I got the discs skimmed and I fitted a K&N the whole service + WOF was only $780 total...

They also asked if it was chipped as they noticed it had a bit more pull than the others they drive every day :D
samos69

Postby Thommo3337 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:15 pm

My mate just had his done and the computer said that the past two tapper adjustments at 30 and 60 haven't been logged on the computer even though he has paid for it! Does this mean they haven't been done or just hadn't been logged on the computer as done?
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:59 pm

The 30k Valve adjustment is a con (over servicing), pulling all the gear off to get to the valves is upping the chance for other problems - eg. leaks, contamination, etc.

I recently had the valves done at 96k and two inlets were very slightly out. If you don't drive your unit like an Italian sports car, you won't need the Italian type service routine.

If you want to save some money on servicing, brake & clutch fluid replacing is a relatively simple job with two people - about half hour mission.

The diffs and transmission oils are also not a big challenge with proper prep.

For me self-serv. allows confirmation that tasks are actually done and good opportunity to give the underside a detailed inspection for damage, etc. All part of 4-wheeling.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby laurie27 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Evo_Triton wrote:

yes ur right, mostly!

Can anyone help me on weather the ML 3.5v6 has a timing chain or a belt?
Thanks in advance
laurie27

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing