Oil colour immediately after service

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Re: Oil colour immediately after service

Postby central4 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 pm

irwazza wrote:Mark your oil filter with some permanent texta or something in future that way you know if they actually changed it or not. Plenty if dodgy people around, gotta cover you ass some how.

What he said. Try using a white paint marker and put a mark high up on the the filter.
High on life....... And glue.
central4

Postby harland on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:04 am

I have a NW pajero, with 3.2 diesel engine that only has EGR blanking plate, the oil remains clean up to 3000km before it gets a tinge of black oil on dipstick. I also have a 2013 MN GLX with 2.5 4D56 which also has EGR blanking plate but the oil is black after 700km. Does anyone know if the black oil could be from fuel mapping, A random post injection. I noticed the 4D56 engine is very knocky on light and med throttle, but on highway when you put your foot down the timing changes dramatically and the engine sounds more throaty with less knock. I am thinking the soot loading in engine oil is a result of fuel mapping.
harland

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:10 am

I usually use a permanent marker to write the date and odo reading on the filters just as a record when it was replaced as well as using a scribe to scratch it in to be sure.

See if a dealer can wipe off scratched in info! :lol:

My experiences (when I used to get dealer servicing done) included skipped fuel filter replacements, incorrect fluid levels, grease and oil left on carpets and seats, damage to trims, tyre pressures messed up, etc.

If you're relatively competent, do it yourself. You'll be much happier.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jrs184 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:21 am

I scribe the date and km on the oil filter with a marking scribe thru the paint on the bottom of the filter so it is easy to read. That is a good point about the remnant oil in the galleries and how it allows the engine not to run on dry surfaces for the few seconds it takes for the pump to reach operating pressure. Pity the poor BT/Ranger guys having to deliberately leave old oil in the sump and whacking everything together within 10minutes so the oil pump doesn't lose its prime and leave you running a bone dry engine until it seizes...I heard they are playing with different size diameters of pick up tube line to see if they can find one that doesn't let all the oil out of the pump while not creating too much pipe friction and maintaining oil pressure without starving the pump...sounds a bit hit or miss to me.
jrs184

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:04 pm

irwazza wrote:Mark your oil filter with some permanent texta or something in future that way you know if they actually changed it or not. Plenty if dodgy people around, gotta cover you ass some how.

A good idea, but an even simpler and more permanent version (ie, unable to remove it with a solvent soaked rag) is to place a -small- scratch (ie, difficult to notice & always in the shape of a number or letter) in the paint on the body of your rig's oil filter. If oils still black and 'your' scratch is still there, on the filter after service, then it's "please explain time". :evil:
Of course it would be nice not to have to ever worry about such things but this rock we're livin on aint called Heaven. ;)
Last edited by AnOldFart on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Oil colour immediately after service

Postby GLRkenny on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:31 pm

AnOldFart wrote:

A good idea, but an even simpler and more permanent version (ie, unable to remove it with a solvent soaked rag) is to place a -small- scratch (ie, difficult to notice) in the paint on body of your rig's oil filter.... ;)

An even simpler way to do it is to not take your car to someone that you don't trust!
In all honesty as someone that works in the industry I don't want to work on your car if you don't trust me to, do it your f ing self
GLRkenny

Postby triton_guru on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Unfortunately I have heard of a few stories of car companies doing the dodgey, unfortunately it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest and give everyone a bad name
triton_guru

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:34 pm

triton_guru wrote:Unfortunately I have heard of a few stories of car companies doing the dodgey, unfortunately it only takes a few to ruin it for the rest and give everyone a bad name

x2 ^^^ and certainly, no one's pointing your way 'GLR' it's just the old story as 'guru' says, of "1 bad apple" ruining the whole (trust) barrel for everyone else who does, the right things by their customers every day. Trust, is just a precious (and fragile) thing that aways, takes time, and proven performance to develop.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby harland on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:36 pm

chris_s wrote:Maybe a silly question, but I'm interested to see if I'm being ripped off.
I just had my MN 15,000km service.
Before driving off after a service, I always check the oil (to make sure the level is okay, etc).
It was black.
I walked back & asked the service manager if this is normal and he said, "Of course, it's a diesel."
Is this normal with Triton diesels??
When I had my 3L patrol, the oil was always a clear colour and only started turning black at around 5000 Km after its oil & filter change.
Thanks in advance.

Chris I have a 2013 MN Triton 2.54D56THP that had its first service at 10,000km and the oil was as black as the ace of spades. After draining the sump and oil cooler drain, replacing the oil filter and adding new engine oil, the oil was still visibly dirty. So i would not be surprised if it looked dirty. As it has been mentioned the internal galleries etc have dirty oil and so does the valve train, block walls etc ( just have a look inside through the oil filler cap). I have gone to the trouble of flushing the engine several times until oil is clean and repeating the flushing at 200km intervals to clean up the valve train and internals. So after i have done the last oil flush the oil is golden as the oil from bottle, after 100km the oil is still golden, but after 500km the oil is brown, tilting the dipstick in the sunlight you can see the golden tinge but is heavily loaded with brown oil after just 500km. Since I have the EGR blocked off completely, I'm wondering if i have extra diesel being injected or do i have a distorted block and rings aren't sealing properly, upside down compression ring, leaking injector seal and compression is leaking past injector into oil. I will keep changing my oil every 500km for a while to clean internals and then my next step will be to get some oil samples done to tell me how much soot and how much diesel so i can get to the bottom of this. Costly but it shits me that the 3.2 4M41 with just the EGR blank stays golden till about 3000km.
Last edited by harland on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harland

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:38 pm

The oil is designed to collect soot/carbon. YMMV
L200Shogun

Postby harland on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:42 pm

L200Shogun wrote:The oil is designed to collect soot/carbon. YMMV

I understand that is what oil is designed to do but how do you explain the 3.2 4M41 with clean oil up to 3000km using the same brand oil and same brand diesel.
harland

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:48 pm

I've never actually seen a Diesel engine keep its oil clean for any long periods, is the 3.2 you refer to yours or just something you've heard
GLRkenny

Postby harland on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:50 pm

GLRkenny wrote:I've never actually seen a Diesel engine keep its oil clean for any long periods, is the 3.2 you refer to yours or just something you've heard

It's mine, in a Pajero with 140,000km.
harland

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Fair enough, as I said I've never seen one stay clean for prolonged periods.
I think you're honestly flogging a dead horse with the 2.5 though mate, throwing money away for no good reason. Both of my 2.5's and all the ones I've serviced over the years (and every other diesel for that matter) are black again straight away, so if there's a fault ie extra diesel being injected as you say, that means every car I've ever services had the same fault which I highly doubt, at the end of the day it's just the nature of the beast.
GLRkenny

Postby biggibbo on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:59 pm

I change the oil and filter every 7500 and it's always filthy. In fact it's black the next day when I check the levels. Never seen a clean dipstick yet.

Is the level going up? If not that would rule out leak back from the fuel system
biggibbo

Postby harland on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:16 pm

No its not making diesel, and i get that all MN 2.5 are just sooty engines, but i just want to find out why ( plus its just my luck ill end up with one of these 2.5 with the cracked blocked from that campaign 020116 they are doing), If its getting sooty quick because of the ECU mapping like no pre injection spray before the main injection (maybe thats why they are so knocky at idle and part throttle) and if so can the ECU be remapped to correct ,just a thought but if someone knows some facts about the 2.5 mapping that would be awesome to know.
harland

Postby hvac guy on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:28 pm

My guess is the two oil pumps as well as the ring and piston to bore clearance i suspect that they have just used the same specs on the non vgt lower boost 100kw engine. Hense the amount of blowby these engines have.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Your way over thinking this mate. Just whack new oil in and be happy, its make not a sliver of difference the colour of the oil... If your that worried get an oil test done by 'oil test', KOWA or one of the other people out there and find out exactly whats going in there.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby harland on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:49 pm

I think the colour of the oil does matter especially for the long term durability of the engine. if the oil has soot in it the oil will only hold so much in suspension and sooty oil will only contribute to wear etc, thanks anyway Ill definitely do some samples.
harland

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Which is why many change oil every 5000km or 7500km and filter every time or second.
At some point you have to balance cost of oil/filters vs engine life.
But oil sampling is the only way to tell. Again another cost.
L200Shogun

Postby jman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:21 pm

I agree with marking oil filter before servicing and no issues so far. Check dipstick for level and colour before heading 40km home, honey colour for about a week max. My question is can fuel and air filters be marked as quickly and easily? Got 30k service in about a month so please tell me. Not worth starting a thread on this me thinks.
Cheers- Jman
jman

Postby Snooozy on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:01 pm

My 3.2 is usually going black within a couple of days. I usually change the filter & oil at 7500km intervals.

Only got 80k on the clock now so not a very worn engine.
It's been that way since new. I figure it's normal,
new oil just mixing with what was in the galleries & not fully drained during the change.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:18 am

IF ya want clean oil, leave it in da bottle :lol:
leonbee

Postby coughy on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:00 am

or buy a petrol trity :lol: :lol: :lol:
oh second thoughts just get useto black oil..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
just had a thought has anyone used these????

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/sea ... il%20flush
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:28 pm

coughy wrote:or buy a petrol trity :lol: :lol: :lol:
oh second thoughts just get useto black oil..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
just had a thought has anyone used these????

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/sea ... il%20flush

Tried the Penrite chainsaw bar oil. :lol:
leonbee

PreviousNext

Return to Servicing