Stiddys GLX-R newbie 4x4 build up.

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Stiddys GLX-R newbie 4x4 build up.

Postby Tony81 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:50 am

lachiem wrote:Subscribed.

X2 this would be too good to miss
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Chill on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:07 pm

X3

Watching with interest as I would love more height. With my Rekon adjustable struts, I would love to use them to there potential 8-)
Chill

Postby c-dale on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:22 pm

How are you planning on getting the back up Stiddy? Extended shackles have some legality issues but seems to be the easiest method. Do you have any other ideas?
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Since you are going down the path of custom CV's, have you researched into spherical CV joints?
There is a Pajero (amongst other IFS rigs) that competes in Finke and is running a set of these. They handle the hour upon hour woops/jumps and keep going strong. I have never seen IFS suspension punished as hard as this. Constantly being bashed from max down travel to max up travel for the entire race.

The Finke track is basically a course of never ending speed bumps.

Anyways - here are the spherical CV's. They come with a lifetime warranty, and can be made to order. The price bracket also appears to be roughly what you are looking at spending.

Click to view larger picture

Link: http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-d ... ku=CVJ2216
macca002

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:03 am

Thats pretty much what I'm hopefully of getting made. RCV wan't about 2500ish for a set. Im trying to have it done locally for cheaper. Plus they dont need to be the strongest CV's in the world haha.

As far as taking the back up, it will just be extended shackles. I know there are legallity issues but its about the easiest way. I've got dobinsons rear leafs, so maybe I can have them reset or something.

Really trying not to blow this out of proportion lol. :|
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:18 pm

Tuff Trucks. WOW! lol. Did you know you can get 54inch tyres on a Rodeo? LOL. What an EPIC weekend.

All started with a message from Matt at Monster Rides, asking hows the car going, how im finding the suspension. Told him, love it, can't rate it enough etc etc. He then says he's got a display stand and would love me to take my Triton along and put it on show.

I thought hell yeah! The only catch was to put Monster Rides stickers on the car. So Matt express posted out some stickers and put 2 tickets at the gate for myself and the mrs.

The Triton set up on display, the ONLY Triton on display. Literally within minutes had people walking around it, climbing under it, taking ALOT of pics, asking me questions, asking Matt questions, grabbing business cards. It was incredible to watch how well the crowds of passer-bys accepted the triton and genuinely were impressed and liked it!
Even the Monster Rides crew accepted me and the Triton to their group and the more they looked at the car the more they liked it. The more I hung around with them, the more 'big happy family' it felt.

This has also given MR a little kick up the butt for more development on our trucks.

Pics! (Ive got 400 of the trucks at the show but these are only my car)
Stickers we slapped on. Got a little fancy. Well really I got pissed and tried to get fancy :lol:

And Matt the man himself!!
This guy was a fantastic host, answered everything car/non car related I had. Made time to have a chat with me and included the mrs. Cooked us breakfast! He's not a business owner that tries to get a buck out of you and send you on your way. You sort of start as a customer and become a mate, part of his 'crew' so to speak.
This guy made an awesome weekend even better!

Apart from this update not much has happened. Ebay as stuffed the order getting my UHF here and OppositeLock still haven't got my Xrox sliders which is pissing me off, this will be the last time I deal with them. CV's are backwards and forwards.

So yeah, thats all for now.
thanks,
Mat
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lachiem on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Quick question sir, those shackles on the front, are they just on the factory tie down points, or are they recovery points on the bar/chassis?
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:12 pm

Factory points.
I've had a heavily bogged prado with a camper trailer swinging off them making the little triton kneel!! lol, didn't even put a scratch on them lol. (he was using me as an anchor for his winch, at one point I was in revese just spinning against it to dig my tyres down into the ground so he couldnt pull me down the hill lol)
Until they bust, im not going to bother with aftermarket points.
He got bogged trying to snatch a Navara out... so the Navara was still attached to the prado that was winching up to the lil ol girl.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Awesome job mate 8-) Tough as.

You're on track with the front end too... Just keep in mind Heim joints aren't legal for on road use. :evil: (not that its ever stopped me :lol: But some people like to keep it all legal)

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lachiem on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:09 am

Still not 100% if there are any aftermarket rated recovery points available, seems ARB were looking at some a while back but its been a while since any new info's come out.
Good to know the factory points have a bit of strength to them.
Looking well tough btw.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby macca002 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Nice looking rig Stiddy. Good turn out too looking at the pics.
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 pm

lachiem wrote:Still not 100% if there are any aftermarket rated recovery points available, seems ARB were looking at some a while back but its been a while since any new info's come out.
Good to know the factory points have a bit of strength to them.
Looking well tough btw.

There were some being sold from one of the WA sponsors I think it was?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mitzikatzi on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm

It was the "Ultimate 4WD Equipment" shop (in the sponsors section) not rated but sold as tow points. here
mitzikatzi

Postby George Kyro on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Did you tell him i said to Shove his state of the art suspension up his clack for me ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you had a ball man , did i come up in convo at all ?

send me an inbox and give me all the juicy info ! lol
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Haha mate you did a little. Well your car did.
Told him that it was your car that swayed me onto MR suspension etc etc. comparing our different springs on the coil overs. And year that we are the guys that makes him want to spend time on tritons and develop more components.
Will have more info around June when he runs away with my car for RnD.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby George Kyro on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 am

Ha!
He's a good bloke isn't he!

Good to hear the news, I told him i was more than willing to send my car off for the development side of things and he can have it for as long as he likes as I'll just use the 200 cruiser and the kia light truck for work if need be but since you're from nsdub its probably easier for him to use yours.

Next time i head to sydney, which shouldn't be that far we should catch up with him and have a yarn one night.

Where a bouts in sydney are you from ?
George Kyro

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:24 pm

lol I told him he has free range to my keys to take it and do to it what he likes.

I've got 4 other cars so I dont need the Triton here. Its just a weekend fun hack.
I'd be keen for a catch up with him, I know he's been fairly busy and travelling around a little bit, but im sure we could sort something out.

I'm in the western subs of sydney. In Kings Langley, near Blacktown.

I travel around a fair bit for work, so let me know when your in town, i'll try and stay local.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Finally.. FINALLY!.. my XROX sliders and gearbox/transfer bash plate have arrived.

Haven't had a chance to fit them up yet, but ripped off my old bashed and bent side steps lol and the stock tin can they call a bash plate.
Hayman Reece have tested their Triton rear bar/tub protection, but apparently havent put them into production for the tritons yet, im thinking of just getting something else. Had enough of dealing with Opposite Lock.

May sound like a dumb question, but I haven't looked yet, to fit the sliders is there any drilling or anything required?
I haven't even sussed out which way they go on yet, i've run out of light. Pretty easy to get them on I assume?

Cheers
Mat
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:25 pm

No drilling. They slot up along the chassis and bolts go through the top. The passenger side is a little tricky as you have to content with all the fuel lines.
macca002

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Awesome, thanks mate. Figured as much without having a look at it :oops:
Got a few hrs to myself tomorrow, will get them on.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby George Kyro on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 am

I got told by the dealers not to go the hay man reece stuff. He showed me on the bottom where it connects to the chassis and 1 side has more bolts than the other, and had less over all anchoring points than what other after market kits do.

Maybe its all changed now, that was back then and this was just for the tow bar set up so i don't know what there rear bar set up is like in comparison man.

Does anybody else know a little more on this?
The dealer reckons, they had some issues with tritons and hay manreece set ups :?
George Kyro

Postby hvac guy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 am

Mmmmm
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:04 pm

George this is supposed to be a new style similar to the ARB one. With tub protection down to the mud flaps and still have 3t towing without hanging low. But like usual opposite lock are shit and after 2 months haven't sent me any pics even though I'm first on the list to have one fitted and been asking about it pretty much since I got my bullbar on.
May end up getting a tjm or something and play with some tubing to change it a little. I'm just impatient lol.
Going to do monkey gum and 5 of the 6 stages at yalwal tomorrow. See how it all fairs up.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:39 pm

StiddyGLX-R wrote:Going to do monkey gum and 5 of the 6 stages at yalwal tomorrow. See how it all fairs up.

Should be interesting to see how you go :D I think you're in for some trouble without a winch though :|
It's not the sort of track where someone else can turn around and recover you ;)

Be good to hear your thoughts next week.....

Monkey gum will be epic fun for you though ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Especially if they've had some of the rain down there that we've had in Sydney. :shock:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups