Stiddys GLX-R newbie 4x4 build up.

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Stiddys GLX-R newbie 4x4 build up.

Postby George Kyro on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 pm

You're probably better getting in contact with hayman reece yourself and explaining to them that you've been waiting on this bar for a while and that you've been promised with no delivery and that you're almost ready to choose another brand. This may get them speeding up the process a little and see if hayman reece will fit it personally since its the first going on if you can.

As for yalwal I'm with alco on this one even though Ive never been, I think you should first get a winch as recoveries in that place would be difficult!

Also is your car auto or manual? I think you would have more luck in an auto doing that type of 4beeing as with the manual you could be up for a clutch quicker !

Either way show us ya pics!
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited language
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:35 pm

We have thought about this. The biggest 'supposed most capable' truck, the patrol from previous pics will be leading, hes got a winch and a few snatch blocks, so he can run upto a tree and back down behind him to pull whoever else up if need be.
I'll give it a red hot go and just see what happens lol. We were going to go watagans again, but i've been dead keen on monkey gum. Should be interesting.
Mines manual, but I do have some mechanical sympathy.
Got the rock sliders on, no fuss. quite easy actually, brake lines were a bit of a prick but got there in the end. Would have been easier with 2 people lol. Still only took about 2hrs for the sliders and bash plate. Plus I went over all the suspension and checked over everything, made sure all was tight.
Click to view larger picture
Not bad for a triton with 1800kms on it :D

Plus if anyone cares, the 2 other cars in the background. Our reasonably modded XR5 Turbo focus in the back ground.(has made 317hp at front wheels, but on 291hp tune for daily duties for the mrs) and a sneak peak of our Tommy Kaira M25 skyline in the background. (made 638rwhp but blew its engine last year, haven't done anything to it since).
Hate not having a concrete driveway or a garage! :lol:
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:54 pm

al coholic wrote:
StiddyGLX-R wrote:Going to do monkey gum and 5 of the 6 stages at yalwal tomorrow. See how it all fairs up.

Should be interesting to see how you go :D I think you're in for some trouble without a winch though :|
It's not the sort of track where someone else can turn around and recover you ;)

Be good to hear your thoughts next week.....

Monkey gum will be epic fun for you though ;)

Looks like nowra has had 20mm of rain in the last 2 days and tomorrow is expecting a further 20mm. After our attempt recently I'd be surprised if you made it :? , and as alco said no winch I think you don't have a hope in hell :roll:

Monkey gum in the wet :shock: , have fun and make sure your insurance is sorted :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Challange accepted!

lol, made a mockery of Daniels Point rd at Watagans in the wet.. Monkey gum will be fine.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Hope you like scratches :lol: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Haha, yeah not overly fussed about scratches. Actually thinking about having the thing vinyl wrapped.. so many options. But its like 2k to do it, can spend 2k on something better in the meantime anyway.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Don't encourage him Ken.

Mat, you must realise that these are serious tracks where some of our most experienced members declined to make the attempt, for safety reasons, in similar conditions to what are expected for tomorrow, then had enough problems on the lesser grade track. By your own admission this is your first four wheel drive and the consensus is that it is seriously under-equipped for this task.

I'd strongly suggest you get a little more experience under your belt and set up your vehicle a little better before attempting this, and then do it in dry conditions at least.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:07 pm

I don't actually know how to respond to that.

I respect what your advising, I've read alot of your posts and you seem like a very knowledgeable member.
Although, this stuff is what I bought the triton for. Its just a fun bash around weekend pig. I bought it to do the serious tracks and if atleast anything find out its limits and what it does and doesn't need.

I feel these cars are very very capable, experienced or not, doesnt make them a good steerer. Im not saying im the bee's knee's but I know how to peddle a car.
Having said that, even before I had my own car and was wheeling with mates in their cars, we were always told, can't get up there, can't do that... we always did.
Was told I wouldn't be able to do Daniels Point. Hardest track by everyones own admission.. I thought it was fun and not hard at all except for 1 or 2 little sections. Had a ball, in the wet. Out of 8 cars, there was 2 that made it the whole way without getting hung up or bogged. I was one of them.

There are enough cars going with enough recovery gear if its needed.

I will upload some pics of my success on Sunday.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Look forward to the pics
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby baito on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Give it the balls mate good luck, you have a good Aussie attitude... She'll be apples mate
Can't wait for picks
Cheers
baito

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:23 pm

I'm not going to rain on your parade and I hear what you're saying, it's a common experience for most triton drivers as tritons will go places most people just can't believe. But don't let that give you false confidence. There's a thread on newhilux all about a bloke from there that spat a few cvs out and then managed to twist his whole diff. Took them all day and into the next to winch the poor bugger out and from there it was a trailer job. He ended up selling it in the end and buying something bigger.

I haven't been to six stages myself but I'm confident I'll never try and drive it. I value my vehicle and my life too highly to take the risks involved. The only 2 guys I know who might be game are both way better drivers than me and slightly mad and when they were looking to do it they'd arranged spare cvs and various other bits, a large support crew and had a contingency plan for a car trailer just in case.

So that's some of the background and that's why a good responsible bloke like Chris wasn't going to let everyone gee you up without a word of caution. But hey, you're an adult, insured and not flying solo so whatever floats your boat. Just be sure to get some decent pictures and videos or it didn't happen.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby jazaboy1 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Very jealous mate, looking very good.
BUILDING UP FROM STOCK, ONE MOD AT A TIME.
jazaboy1

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:25 am

So how did you go
Waiting on the report
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Sorry if this offends....

But if you guys find monkey gum hard... sell your 4x4 and buy a prius and stay on the tarmac.

Honestly monkey gum, I got out of the drivers seat, got on the cans and let the mrs drive it. It was a little play track. It was cute. Few little technical bits, and I got frustrated with her because its like "why can't you get up, its easy!, Just give it some" lol. Having said that its the first 4x4 shes ever driven and the first 4x4 track she's ever driven. She did well, completed monkey gum in 3hrs.

Then 5 of the 6 stages.. well. Yeah, little bit difficult but not what I would call hard, like at all. Definately do it again. It was fine. I had a few goes at stage 6, but nearly tipped over LOL. (as in you could walk under my rear wheel it was over that high LOL!) It was getting dark so called it day and didnt attempt it again.

Ended up doing Dusty's track I think its called. Thats harder than the 5th stage.

I also got tub damage. lol nasty dents, it was expected but not as bad as it is. I don't actually care but its still a little annoying because its just 'ugh, something else to sort out'. the first little dent was from slipping off a rock into a tree. The other 2 was from not giving a shit and powering through a slippery section and sliding sidways into a big big rock and also a few scratchs, the camp fire joke was the car is ruined and only got 2300kms on it LOL, write it off and get a new replacement hahah.

I've got pics and vids of everything. Awesome go-pro footage under and on the car. Pics and vids from 3 different cameras lol Will upload most of it over the next few days. Depends on when the guys actually send me the pics/vids.

I got hung up twice. Bogged once, mrs driving and just picked the wrong line lol, water came in my window. And I got hung up on rocks, need to move a few rocks so I could do a step up.

Apart from the rest of the tracks I practically had a snatch strap always on to pull the other guys up, and the other guys used me to winch up to ALOT! even the Patrol, (4 inch lift, 35's, crawler gears and front locker) got stuck and needed the diamond assistance lol.

I got the 'jeez this bit looks hard, have a goooo matty and see what happens" lol. Or 'get up there so we can hook up to you"

Was good fun. But still think watagans was a more technical and challenging track. This was more 'fun' though.
Every one of us got panel damage, but no breakages.

I definately need a front locker, possibly a winch and definately tub protection or a custom tray.

Had a ball.
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Sounds like you had a ball mate. Can't wait to see some pics.
DocBassett

Postby George Kyro on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:05 pm

I was waiting for this actually, thought of you today and was wondering how it all went.

So youre saying that even your mrs drove up some of the 1-5 stages and the nsw mud runners turned back last time ? :lol: :? :roll: :lol:

Get rid of my red tshirts fellas, I no longer want you guys representing "Kyro's Crew" lol
Post some pics up stiddy.
Lets see the carnage!

Ps how are your cv's with the "above 2 inch" lift?
Any breakages ?
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby srb on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:16 am

Sounds like these ''mud runners'' are soft bunch then :twisted:

Looking forward to seeing all the pics and vids. :cool:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:35 am

srb wrote:Sounds like these ''mud runners'' are soft bunch then :twisted:

I've met most of them. Yep........marshmallow comes to mind. :lol: :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby macca002 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:27 am

Impressive, especially since the last group that came through did less - and with lockers.
Not surprised that you got a bit of carnage on the tub, but they are bloody big!

What is next on your bucket list?
macca002

Postby viking shippy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 am

srb wrote:Sounds like these ''mud runners'' are soft bunch then :twisted:

X2 Soft mud runners...
viking shippy

Postby har05l on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 am

Looks like I'm going shopping for a Prius :roll:

New to 4wdriving yet an expert already :? , that is impressive :roll: and don't mean to offend
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:50 am

Sounds like a great weekend. I can't wait to see these pics ;)
I hope you got heaps of video of 6 stages 8-)

X3 on the soft mud runners :twisted:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby trouble on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:03 am

Bwahahahahaha Prius!
Get the vids/pics up dude!
No vids or pics then it didn't happen!
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby StiddyGLX-R on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:12 am

I'm by no means an expert. Just have a different level of what's hard. No breakages just a few dings. Thought I was going to loose a cv at one point. I expected tub damage. Yeah trying to avoid it but it was bound to happen. If I wasn't too proud to be winch I'd have less damage lol :lol:
I'm uploading some vids now I took with my phone. It's all I've got til tonight when I can get the rest. Have like 30hrs of footage..
StiddyGLX-R
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:18 am

Stiddy....was just trying to understand what you posted above and the route you guys took, From what you posted, Did you guys start on Monkey Gum in the morning driving all the way to the top coming out on Braidwood Rd to have to drive all the way back around to the fire trails down to wombat flat to start 6 stages (the track into 6 stages comes off Monkey Gum) or was Monkey Gum on your way out of Yalwal as you were heading home??

Is the track into 6 stages still massively overgrown?? How are your pinstripes?? :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups