Daryn's Triton Mods

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Daryn's Triton Mods

Postby Choady on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:43 am

Real Nice Dylan - looks fantastic. The front and rear barwork and suspension do awesome things for clearance and off road ability I have found. Its like a totally new truck now 8-) 8-)

Im interested to hear how your Mako winch goes. Im looking to fit a winch early next year. Are Avenger doing anything to address the fairlead compatability ?

I also like where you put your reverse camera. Any comments on it and maybe a photo of what you see when you reverse ;)

Good work. I better pull my finger out and do some more to my truck now......
Choady

Postby daryn on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks Choady,

I have to re-position the camera now from before, it is to low. It needs to be up higher.

I am sure if you speak to Jess he will update you on it, but you will not get away with there std fairlead, I bought a warn which added $150 to the price.

On the winch, hopefully I dont get stuck to try it out, otherwise in the meantime I have no probs recommending it, and ah, Dylan is a wa wa boy, im an east coaster :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Yesterday I installed GLXR-Alex's EGR plate which cost the whole sum of $10, it took an easy 5 minutes to do, just a teeny bit longer than installing the DP Chip.

Anyway, I had a day of driving and I think it is awesome, I get no lag at take off and seem to have more torque down low, I think Alex describes it that the Turbo is spinning sooner or something like that.

The best $10 I have spent in a long time. Thanks heaps Alex.

The only problem I have now is that I am using more fuel as the truck has got a heap more get up and go and I am having way to much fun enjoying it. I originally bought a diesel so that would force me to slow down, well no 4wds want to race at lights.

In all seriousness, if all goes well, with the combination of tyres sizes chosen and DP Chip with EGR mod the Triton is a really, really great truck to drive, last on the list now is the snorkle.

Wishlist at moment probably consists of:

Canopy
Front Diff Lock

Then a new tent either a Black wolf or Oztent with a nice fridge, leaning toward Oztent because of price but size is questionable.

What next after that:

4wding :)
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:22 pm

do ya really need a snorkle ??? i reckon most people just put them on for show or cause its the done thing (Buzzy) :o
unless its an older car and you plan on sinking it , even with tookies drowning episode the water was still not high enough to get in the intake , but hey its your car ;) 8-) :D
Marge bring me your address book ,4 beers and my conversation hat !!
Dylan 191

Postby daryn on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Dylan, its going on for better/cleaner/forced air into the motor, they can actually make a difference and a lot of little things together make a big difference like what I have been doing, I dont intend on doing anything like tookie, but I would like to get to the cape one day.

Also for $300 for a Safari snorkle would you pass it up?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:35 pm

ahh good point with the cold air intake part .... i was thinking more for the sinking factor
yeah i guess for 300 bucks you cant go wrong , wouldnt want to drill that massive holesaw but :?

you should have a really capable truck there when you get the diff lock on the front ... did you get the factory rear one ?
Dylan 191

Postby liamb on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:00 pm

if yours is a turbo DiD there is nothing a snorkle can do to force air into the engine as the turbo does it at far greeater pressure. If snorkles really forced air into engines and made a diference to performance V8 super cars would have them. Even pro stock drag cars only use trumpet inlets on their carbys. The best thing about them is the air inlet is high above the water when crossing rivers and deep puddles.

Bill
liamb

Postby Dylan 191 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:46 pm

liamb wrote:if yours is a turbo DiD there is nothing a snorkle can do to force air into the engine as the turbo does it at far greeater pressure. If snorkles really forced air into engines and made a diference to performance V8 super cars would have them. Even pro stock drag cars only use trumpet inlets on their carbys. The best thing about them is the air inlet is high above the water when crossing rivers and deep puddles.

Bill

he has a point you know Daryn , with the fact that the turbo will force the air far better than the intake will
Dylan 191

Postby daryn on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:11 am

Hi hear ya liamb, I aint a car tech head, more motorbike myself, but by opening up and giving the opportunity for more air to be available to taken by whatever wants it in the truck should be a good thing, my terminology may be out by saying forced air, but I know what I mean :).

From what I understand a 2 1/2" exhaust and snorkle combined with a DP Chip and a special tune can make big gains on these motors, so the snorkle must be playing its part.

You should see the dust that is under the bonnet from my last drive up the bush, getting trapped swirling around and then going into the air intake, I would rather have it outside where it can get cleaner air quicker.

Thanks for your input guys, I am still learning about these diesels and enjoy it, thats why it has taken me so long to do what I have to the truck.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 am

Dylan 191 wrote:do ya really need a snorkle ??? i reckon most people just put them on for show or cause its the done thing (Buzzy) :o
unless its an older car and you plan on sinking it , even with tookies drowning episode the water was still not high enough to get in the intake , but hey its your car ;) 8-) :D

Hey Dylan, how would you know what I use my truck for?
In my MK I was lucky to have a snorkle on during a trip up on stockton beach.
Cruising through some 600mm deep (fresh) water all of a sudden I droped into a hole and had water up over my bonnet / windscreen & roof.
Dont judge just by what people say on here.

And the trips we want to do out west in the future definatly call for some fresh air into the engine.
I will not have another 4B without a snorkel now that I have had them on my last 2 Tritons

Go for it daryn ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby snowman on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Buzzy,

the number of people who see my new car and start telling me what a waste of money etc my snorkel was as i'll never use it and i would start substantiating it............ :x :x

.......now i just tell them to f*ck off. i'ts my car and i can do what i want! it is much quicker conversation that way. :D 8-)

sorry for the hijack Daryn.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rawlos on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:48 pm

A turbo can only force air in if it is avilable take a look at the stats on safari web site you might actully learn about air flow??? :mrgreen:
rawlos

Postby rawlos on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:25 pm

From a proformance web site fyi

APS High Flow Air Intake System
High horsepower levels demand high air flow. The APS High Flow Air Intake System significantly increases the flowrate capacity of the XR6 Turbo for maximum engine performance.
In order to deliver the maximum amount of cool air directly to the turbocharger, APS has manufactured the ultimate XR6 Turbo air cleaner assembly. By relocating the battery to the passenger side, a large area of under bonnet space is made available only a short distance away from the turbocharger entry. The APS High Flow Air Intake System takes full advantage of this large space and a completely new air box houses a huge high flow air filter element capable of supporting the demanding requirements of 520+ kW engine power.

Air Intake cover installed Air Intake cover removed to show air cleaner assembly.

The APS air box is precicely manufactured and professionally finished to take full advantage of the intricate under bonnet shape and iscolate the intake air from high under bonnet temperatures.

Unlike ram pods which source hot air from under the bonnet, the APS high flow air intake system consistently delivers a huge volume of air at the lowest possible temperature directly into the turbocharger. This ensures that the engine's temperature compensation system operates at the optimum level to generate maximum torque and power across the entire RPM range.
rawlos

Postby subi_man on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:28 pm

IMO a snorkel is a must for regular dusty/dirt road driving - the general understanding (or lack thereof) of uninformed 2WDers is that they are only for driving through water, but we all know their benefits :lol:
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Quinny23 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:19 pm

subi_man wrote:IMO a snorkel is a must for regular dusty/dirt road driving - the general understanding (or lack thereof) of uninformed 2WDers is that they are only for driving through water, but we all know their benefits :lol:

X2.... Cleaner air, Cooler Air, plus the benifits of water crossings... for the $$'s they are a must...

Anyone giving you grief should get standard response 101 as mentioned by Snowman...
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby Dylan 191 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Buzzy wrote:
Dylan 191 wrote:do ya really need a snorkle ??? i reckon most people just put them on for show or cause its the done thing (Buzzy) :o

Hey Dylan, how would you know what I use my truck for?
In my MK I was lucky to have a snorkle on during a trip up on stockton beach.
Cruising through some 600mm deep (fresh) water all of a sudden I droped into a hole and had water up over my bonnet / windscreen & roof.
Dont judge just by what people say on here.

And the trips we want to do out west in the future definatly call for some fresh air into the engine.
I will not have another 4B without a snorkel now that I have had them on my last 2 Tritons

Go for it daryn ;)

was just havn a playfull dig mate no need to up the blood pressure , many other people take the piss and you ok ... looks like i got the brunt of it :?
anyway nice work with it ;)
Dylan 191

Postby daryn on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Quinny23 wrote:
subi_man wrote:IMO a snorkel is a must for regular dusty/dirt road driving - the general understanding (or lack thereof) of uninformed 2WDers is that they are only for driving through water, but we all know their benefits :lol:

X2.... Cleaner air, Cooler Air, plus the benifits of water crossings... for the $$'s they are a must...

Anyone giving you grief should get standard response 101 as mentioned by Snowman...

That was it, I forgot to add cooler air :)

Cheers Quinny
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:06 pm

The other thing IMO is the factory air intake position is stupid AND its facing foward, it is just asking to suck up dust and whatever other crap. It also does not take much to splash water above bonnet height, even when you come across puddles or bogholes on a track (never mind river crossings) and you dont want that water in your air intake I reckon. Go ahead Daryn and install your snorkel, you will have peace of mind if nothing else next time your offroad mate.
To show you how peoples opinions on 4wds differ, I went and spoke to a bloke at an ARB store about suspension upgrade on the Triton, apart from the fact their kit is only about a 10mm lift, he tried to talk me out of it when he realised it was a brand new truck, saying the factory suspension will be fine and it would be a waste of money for a suspension upgrade........... :lol: :lol: :lol: . WTF. I think you know yourself how much better aftermarket suspension is, so anyway, back on topic, If you believe fitting a snorkle is worth it, than its worth it mate. Cheers Ben
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Stu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:10 pm

I thought a snorkel was just like a megaphone so you could here the induction sound?
If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food
Stu

Postby Dylan 191 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 pm

they keep the original one Tex , just have to cut the lowest mount off then all good ;)
Dylan 191

Postby daryn on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Tex wrote:Daryn, Looks bloody awesome mate. :mrgreen:

What happens to the windscreen washer bottle with the ARB front bar :?: Do you keep the original or change to a new one :?:

Thanks Tex, you should see it in the flesh, I now have XR's and SS's revving next to me at the lights now, so it looks like the Triton has gone up a peg or two :)

Under the bar are these black angled covers which still protect the bottle, if I was to remove them for even more clearance I would then have to either modify or replace the washer bottle, otherwise like what Dylan says.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:44 pm

daryn wrote:I now have XR's and SS's revving next to me at the lights now

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The truck does look extremely good tho mate. I love the colour, nearly as good as black.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby daryn on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:51 pm

So I finally got down to Ultimate for my bit late 1000km checkup Wednesday just gone, as from my pics above and what was also keenly spotted by few was that my rear brake lines were stressing and the shock boot was not long enough.

The staff got onto the job and completed the following:

Attached longer brake hose brackets on the diff for both sides, put a very large spacer to reposition line on top of centre diff housing and also installed longer diff breather hose.
Click to view larger picture

This is just a shot of the rear springs and shock

And the front Strut and coil with collars to suit height

My heights are
Front - 582mm
Rear- 630mm

I am hoping the front will sag about 5 to 10mm.

Never less I did not expect Ultimate Suspension to go to this trouble for allowing the rear to achieve full articulation without stressing any other rear components. They get 5 Stars for this.

Anyway I am in Newcastle and if anyone ever wants to suss out my suspension before buying please let us know, I have said so before but I cannot recommend Ultimate Suspension more highly on Service, Price, Product and Performance.

I just need to now go and get dirty and take some new pics.

This post also appears in the Ultimate Suspension thread : http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=375
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby MR T on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:07 pm

ge that is so good to here about in this day and age
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby daryn on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:40 pm

"Tonight's the night, it's gonna be alright..."

Sorry, got carried away singing a Rod Stewart song, anyways fitted my Safari Snorkel (spelt correctly :) ) tonight, with the help of my buddy, he reckons that the Triton is the easiest one he has ever done, easier than any other Dual cab.

Currently resetting ECU as per other thread.

Have removed the ERG plate to see if it was effecting my rising fuel. No change.

Have bought a genuine filter to pop in to see if the Unifilter was mucking up my fuel economy. This seems to be the culprit, so far it is 2.0l/100km less, so I am thinking so. I oiled this thing from what I could tell correctly, have done this before on bikes for 20 plus years, so i am thinking that Unifilters may be really touchy with the slightest excess oil, but I cant see how.

Will post up pics soon and also plan posting inside changes as well.
daryn
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups