Fraz's GLX-R - Update! t("t)

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Fraz's GLX-R

Postby al coholic on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:28 pm

:roll: Belter :lol: :lol:

Get Brendan to grab you a CV from down the road.......you will have it done by lunch ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby fraz91 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Yeah yeah... :roll: :lol:

I've already spoken to him about getting a new CV from down the road. Will take the original to mitsubishi and see about getting the drivers side changed under warranty as well. Both have been clicking since new, but I never realised they were able to be swapped under warranty and figured I'd just have to wait until they broke and foot the bill to get new ones.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:23 pm

So duct tape, cable ties and a hammer couldn't fix this one then?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby JamoGLXR on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:So duct tape, cable ties and a hammer couldn't fix this one then?

and WD-40
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Snooozy on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:So duct tape, cable ties and a hammer couldn't fix this one then?

just what I was thinking as I was reading this post..you beat me to it :lol:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Sadly, no duct tape to be found on site... Used a compression bandage instead as that was all that was available to seal the diff up. Held the oil in the diff at 60km/h, so definitely happy with that :D

fraz91

Postby har05l on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:17 am

If only you had the car ramps lach this wouldn't have happened :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Hope you get it sorted mate ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

About time! I knew how you felt left out and all... :P

//Just need to add wheel bearing, rear drums, pads/shoes, tailshaft etc to the list and you be "in the club" :roll: :oops:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Howd the warranty claim go mate? Same as mine :roll:
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby fridgie on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:19 pm

borngeek wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

//Just need to add wheel bearing, rear drums, pads/shoes, tailshaft etc to the list and you be "in the club" :roll: :oops:

Don't forget tub damage ;) lol :roll:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby fraz91 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 pm

fridgie wrote:
borngeek wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget tub damage ;) lol :roll:

Did tub damage to the old MN Barge-Arse. Since I've put the ML tray on, it's been protected by the MCC rear jack bar. Definitely worth the money I spent on it, that's for sure. it even has cup-holders! 6 of them! :lol:

fraz91

Re: Fraz's GLX-R - New Diffs

Postby fraz91 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Okay, so I haven't posted any of the mods I've done to the vehicle lately, but believe me when I say they've been happening. 8-)

First off- New Clutch. This one hurt the pocket a little, but has made a hell of a difference. Went with a clutch kit from Australian Clutch Services as they do a very comprehensive kit for the MN's mighty 2.5HP powerhouse motor. This came about after having the clutch slip a few times while fully loaded and towing a trailer back from Belanglo state forest at Easter, and it only got worse after that. Decided to get on top of it quickly as I rely on the vehicle to get to work every day.

Thankfully, the ACS kit comes with an orange pressure plate, as opposed to the Excedy HD's pink one (I'm sure Mattstuck is kicking himself for not getting a manual now, could have had a pink clutch to match his pink truck :lol: )

Click to view larger picture

Now that the clutch was dealt with, it was time for some re-gearing. 8-) I managed to get hold of some 4.1 front and rear complete diffs courtesy 4wd26 (thanks again mate, you're a champion) and his old rolling chassis. The advantage of having the complete diffs was that I didn't need to stuff around setting the pre-load on the pinion gear, and the entire set-up was a simple pull out old, put in new. At least that's what I thought... :roll:

After a phone call from a stricken ML owner regarding his front diff falling to pieces, I got the go-ahead from Brendan to quickly swap the front diff out at work one afternoon. All in all was an easy job, only took about 1.5-2hrs on my own. Thanks must be given to Steane for his fantastic instructions on how to remove and replace the front diff in his Lokka install. ;)

So there I was, 4.1 ratio in the front, 3.9 in the rear. :? Finally got a chance to do the rear diff at work and, wouldn't you know it, the damn thing didn't want to play ball. Heads up, if you plan on replacing rear-axle bearings in an ML or MN Triton, make sure you have a press capable of 35tonnes or more. We have a 50tonner at work, but it's not set up to do axle bearings, and the 20tonner just couldn't get the retaining ring on. Quick call to the guys at Regents Park Truck Align, and their 150tonne press sorted it out quick enough. :lol: (I might add, my car had been stuck on the hoist for 2.5 days at this point...) Once I got the axles back, it took all of 45mins to get the car back together and driving again. I've never been more frustrated than when I couldn't get those damn bearings on. 45mins to finish, and I was stuck... :roll:

45mins to go, yet took 1.5days...

Mighty 9.5" LSD with 4.1 Ratio attached vs 9" Open diff with 3.9's attached:

So far the LSD and the ASC/TC have been working in harmony quite well. It's also brought my speedo back to 5% over actual speed, and the odometer is now spot on. Also had a good effect on fuel economy, down to 8.8L/100km from the regular 9.5L/100km I was previously averaging. Haven't had a chance to get off-road yet, but will do so within the next week for sure. Can't wait to see how it all goes off-road, but considering how well it's working at the moment it should be an absolute weapon :twisted:

So that's all for now, although I have a feeling the next installment will be sliders as well as another highly-debated item on the forum. But you'll all just have to wait and see 8-)
Last edited by fraz91 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fraz91

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:07 pm

nice install- I cannot believe that the 4.1 centre and axle (normally in the ML 9.5" diff) fitted into the 9"MN diff.

makes for a pretty handy changeover of ratios.

I sent the entire rear diff down (brake to brake) and assumed that the conversion would include the entire axle including tubes.

very cool

I just need to prove that the 3.5 petrol V6 ratios mate up into the triton 9.5" diffs- thats a 4.6 ratio ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby fraz91 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm

When I was looking at all the ML's and MN's coming through work (yeah... we do a LOT of them) the rear axle housing looked the same regardless of what model it was. This got me thinking, and so I measured my rear axle housing against an ML 3.2 manual that was in on that particular day to find that it was the same size. 8-) I mean, why would Mitsubishi have different production jigs for the same vehicle? The triton's all share the same 8.25" front diff, just with different ratios depending on what model/variant it is, so that made me think: "why would the rear be any different? :twisted: "

I think the biggest difference is the actual size of the rear crown wheel and diff centre, as well as the carrier for the rear diff. This would definitely be different from ML to MN, regardless of ratio. That being said, the ML's should all have the same carrier as they all have the same 9.5" rear diff, which means if you can get hold of 4.3 ratios out of a petrol triton, they should fit straight in without too much hassle. 8-)

fraz91

Fraz's GLX-R

Postby motoz on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:21 pm

4.6 would be great if running 33's
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Nice one Fraz! I would love to go the 4.1 ratio's as well but 3.9 will be better than my stupid 3.6's.
So any news on how Alco's going? WHEN CAN I GET MY 3.9 GEARS! :lol: I hope they aren't worn out with a reputation like yours Fraz! :lol: So why did you replace your rear axle bearings?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:04 pm

srb wrote:I hope they aren't worn out with a reputation like yours Fraz! :lol: So why did you replace your rear axle bearings?

What're you trying to say? :twisted: :lol:

Had to replace the rear axles completely when going to the LSD in the rear diff (std MN has 29splines, ML LSD has 31splines) and as one of the bearings was starting to seize I figured it was good insurance to replace both of them while doing the upgrade. 8-)

That, and you have to take the axles out to swap the backing plates over.

fraz91

Postby srb on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Ah ok cool. Hope I have no compatibility problems when I open up mine regarding the factory diff lock. :? I have a guy lined up that's experienced in setting up diff's and is willing to let me help him during the process. Hay let me know If I need to order new parts such as bearing or seals for this to go smoothly. I can't afford to have my work truck off the road too long. ;)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 pm

PM sent ;)

fraz91

Fraz's GLX-R - New Diffs

Postby mattz on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:26 am

Good job Fraz 8-)
But wouldn't it have been easier to buy an ML in the first place :lol:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Fraz's GLX-R - New Diffs

Postby daryn on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 am

Does this mean you now have LSD with traction control?

Confused a bit.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:44 am

daryn wrote:Does this mean you now have LSD with traction control?

Confused a bit.

Sure does daryn ;) Will be testing out the LSD this arvo with a few mates. Also testing out the new GoPro, so should be able to get a video up of this mighty MN :twisted:

fraz91

Fraz's GLX-R - New Diffs

Postby daryn on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am

Fraz it ain't a MN, your taking the good stuff off ML's continually. Call it a MM.

This will be interesting but LSD with TC, is this going to start more arguments. Better than a......

Awesome stuff Fraz.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm

I can't see the two interfering with each other. Time will tell i guess.......
Might only have to wait till later this evening to find out :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby snowman on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:12 pm

al coholic wrote:I can't see the two interfering with each other. Time will tell i guess.......
Might only have to wait till later this evening to find out :lol: :lol:

i would have thought it will work better as the TC will preload the spinning wheels and get better transfer to the other side. pretty sure that is what Fraz is expecting.

damn shame you have to put half the old model parts back on the new model to make it "better". :roll: :o
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Member Build Ups