Fraz's GLX-R - Update! t("t)

Want to show off what you've done to your rig? or have a custom project to show? Post it up here!

Re: Fraz's GLX-R - New Diffs

Postby daryn on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:10 pm

This is what I am thinking to Snowie.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:22 pm

LSD with traction control 8-) 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Homer wrote:LSD with traction control 8-) 8-)

It was a little jittery at first, but it works fantastically 8-) 8-)

Gearing is back quite a lot (idling in first low is the same speed as a troopy on 33's) and the extra control os awesome. Does push forwards a bit more than it used to, but is a lot better than 2 open diffs.

Have heaps of GoPro footage to get through now as it was running for about 1.5hrs under the car in different places. I'll post the video links up as soon as soon as its all uploaded. ;)

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby chaser on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:20 pm

love ya work mate, i always wondered if it could be done. Cant wait for the video mate, keep it up.
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Okay, so after fighting with Youtube trying to upload this video, I've finally got it! Only took 2.5 days... :lol:

Good shots from the GoPro, the side view shows the amount of twist and flex in the chassis, while the underside gives a good indication of wheel movement when off-road. 8-) There is a 720p option (didn't film in the full 1080p as was concerned about battery life and using up the camera card :lol: ).
Last edited by daryn on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited youtube link

fraz91

Postby har05l on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Very good footage fraz and geez that tub moves about on the flex :o

You should've just got a R/L out of a wrecked MN/ML, best of both worlds then :P
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 pm

cool vid- @ 3:10 did you apply handbrake or was that the traction control working with the LSD?

Just wondering what got you going again
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm

TC working with the LSD. Never really needed to use the handbrake with it, as the two systems work quite well together once the TC starts working. I think I'd forgotten to turn the ASC off for that part, hence the delayed response from the TC.

Also, on another note, went back out there today with a mate and his dad's Live axle 100 series, twin locked. Everything he got up, I did, and he was having to use the lockers at points as well. 8-) Admittedly, when the lockers were on he walked it slower than I did, but there was no excessive bouncing or loud pedal used to climb up the rocks :twisted:

@har05l: If I'd gone the difflock then there would have been all the wiring and compressor to try and get hold of as well as installing it all. The factory diff lock would also mean I'd be left with an open rear diff on-road, whereas I much prefer the drive and control from the LSD. 8-)

fraz91

Postby chaser on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Wiring should already be there for the factory compressor fraz ;)
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby srb on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Cool video Fraz, and yeah still not as good as Diff lock. :lol:

Is it much better having the lower gearing? Think this would be the best part about it. 8-)
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 pm

The lower gearing definitely allows less use of the throttle, I don't have to worry about it stalling at idle while crawling up something as much as I used to. Also being able to tackle things that little bit slower helps a lot 8-)

fraz91

Fraz's GLX-R - New Diffs

Postby mattz on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:52 am

Nice vid Fraz. 8-)
After the trouble you had with the install, I'm glad it's working well. ;) The last thing you would want is to pull it out again. :roll:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Tony on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:24 am

Looks like a few ML's could be getting cannibalised over the next few years to make the mighty MN even better. 8-)

Any one doing this, just buy in new rear wheel bearings with lock collars as you will need them.
With the correct technique, the entire operation can be done with out a press or any "special" tools for that matter. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Tony wrote: With the correct technique, the entire operation can be done with out a press or any "special" tools for that matter. 8-)

What would you do differently to Fraz and Alco Tony. They both had a shocker changing the bearings.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 pm

The bearings weren't the issue in my case, it was the lock-collar I couldn't get on. That being said, if I was doing it again I'd definitely heat the lock collar up so that it pressed on a little easier.

fraz91

Re: Fraz's GLX-R - Update! t("t)

Postby fraz91 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:17 pm

So it's been a while since I updated this.

I've been pretty busy of late and haven't been able to spend much time enhancing the tri, although have taken the opportunity to do so where possible 8-)

To begin, I FINALLY got rid of the factory side steps (my second set, courtesy Cowboy Dave) for some XROX sliders. I went with these for the simple fact that they're built tough and are a no-compromise, dedicated slider. Have had them on for about 4-5months now, and they've been fantastic the whole time!

Straight from the wrapping, onto the car:
Click to view larger picture

Gratuitous ramps shot:

Next up was the last set of 3.15:1 Low-range gears from Wholesale Automatics. Sadly, I haven't gotten these installed yet, but that should hopefully happen after my trip to Vic/SA next year :D

Speaking of the trip down south, I required a little more luggage space from the tray. Mum had an old luggage pod from our old Chrysler Voyager that was sitting in the garage, and I'd been meaning to get a set of roof-racks for the hard-cover so I could mount it all up.

Well, I got impatient. :lol:

I drilled straight through the hardcover and mounted it on with four 75mmxM10x1.5 Bolts. I've spaced it up off the hardcover using a couple of precision cut (read hacksaw and guesstimate) spacer blocks, along with some foam matting underneath to protect the hard-cover and give it a little spring-tension. Will be heading down to Canberra tomorrow, so should be a good test run for it. 8-)

Anyway, that's all for now. Time for sleeeeeeeeeep ;)

fraz91

Postby trumpy955 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:28 pm

What a transformation this ute has had. Waiting to get those new gears in must be sending you nuts tho.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Re: Fraz's GLX-R

Postby bazzashadow on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Where did you manage to get the ML tub from? I am wanting to do this mod but have had no luck finding a charcoal tub. Considering getting any colour and then getting it painted.
bazzashadow

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:32 pm

They mostly come up on ebay or facebook from people who are putting on trays instead.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby bazzashadow on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:They mostly come up on ebay or facebook from people who are putting on trays instead.

I finally found one on Gumtree, in the right colour with a canopy and a GLX-R!! He is asking a few $$ for it but Ill see if I can negotiate him down a bit. Are the wheel flares the same size on both models? The one I am looking at has a different colour flares and I want to take the ones off mine and put them on the ML tub so it all matches. Are you happy with the swap and would you recommend it?
bazzashadow

Postby fraz91 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:12 am

The flares are interchangeable between models, so you'll be able to pull your original flares off and fit them to the new tub. ;)

My biggest issue with the swap was not enough room when touring. If you've found a tub with canopy then you shouldn't have an issue. The improved departure angle is great, as well as the reduced distance to the rear when parking in shopping centers.

fraz91

Previous

Return to Member Build Ups