does snorkel reduce turbo lag?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

does snorkel reduce turbo lag?

Postby wayne85 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:34 pm

might sound like a stupid question but im looking at installing a snorkel on my triton over the xmas break. does the snorkel reduce the lag at all? if so by how much?
wayne85

Re: does snorkel reduce turbo lag?

Postby Amaroo on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Sorry mate, not at all.
Amaroo

Postby wayne85 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 pm

damn, i had high hopes for it to atleast reduce it a little.
wayne85

Postby holbi on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 pm

No Wayne, snorkle good for a couple of benefits but reducing turbo lag isn't one of them.
holbi

Postby DocBassett on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Get a throttle controller for the lag.
DocBassett

Postby gazman152 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Some would disagree, but I just installed the egr blank and I noticed reduced turbo lag.
gazman152

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Egr blank allows slightly more exhaust gasses to enter the turbo instead of the inlet manifold and therefore it does actually reduce lag somewhat. A snorkel will allow cooler air to enter the turbo which may or may not have some slight economy and performance gains but will not reduce lag unfortunately.
chrisdoherty87

Postby viking shippy on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:02 pm

chrisdoherty87 wrote:Egr blank allows slightly more exhaust gasses to enter the turbo instead of the inlet manifold and therefore it does actually reduce lag somewhat. A snorkel will allow cooler air to enter the turbo which may or may not have some slight economy and performance gains but will not reduce lag unfortunately.

Post edited for accuracy..
the egr is closed at full throttle anyways.putting a blank in solves the carbon problem but as a spinoff you guest slightly higher EGTs and use more fuel... the snorkel makes no noticeable economy or performance gain on these trucks....to my knowledge and others..well documented...here
Last edited by viking shippy on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
viking shippy

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:55 am

Ah k thanks. I was under the assumption the egr on the triton was fed from the exhaust manifold. Is it from the turbo dump pipe is it?
chrisdoherty87

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:56 am

Double post.

Edit:
Checked mine and it is joined before the turbo on the exhaust manifold as in most applications. Yes in full throttle it is closed but turbo starts to spool well without full throttle and in that instance with a blank that more exhaust gasses are now entering the turbo instead of some gasses being directed into the inlet manifold. I blocked mine and felt a minor difference in driveability.
chrisdoherty87

Postby viking shippy on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:08 am

Sorry your right....where the egt gets it's soot...
But the egt only opens at periods of coasting and light throttle....
And the improvement is minimal...
viking shippy

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:26 am

Correct. I only mentioned it to the op as it sounded like he was wanting to eliminate some lag and that he would have more luck doing so with egt blank then snorkel. However I do not have a snorkel as yet so am only going on hearsay that they can offer some economy gains. Has this been proven incorrect with the triton?

Wayne, as doc mentioned above if you invest in a throttle controller it won't reduce any lag but it will greatly improve response through eliminating a lot of the electronic throttle delay.
chrisdoherty87

Postby viking shippy on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:45 am

chrisdoherty87 wrote:Correct. I only mentioned it to the op as it sounded like he was wanting to eliminate some lag and that he would have more luck doing so with egt blank then snorkel. However I do not have a snorkel as yet so am only going on hearsay that they can offer some economy gains. Has this been proven incorrect with the triton?

Wayne, as doc mentioned above if you invest in a throttle controller it won't reduce any lag but it will greatly improve response through eliminating a lot of the electronic throttle delay.

The new sound coming from the snorkel with the window open sounds faster...but honestly I didn't notice any improvement at all..
And yes a sprint booster works great in getting WOT within the first 20mm of throttle movement.....if you want to bow your mind with a performance boost... chip it...
viking shippy

Postby Toddyh on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:58 am

On my last car I found the snorkel increased the rev range for peak(ish) torque. I found I was able to climb hills at lower revs than before I fitted the snorkel. Did nothing for the turbo though.
Toddyh

Postby wayne85 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:03 am

i would like to eliminate some lag. but thats not my reason for adding a snorkel. i was just hopeful it would help the cause. I already have an egr blank and it has made a noticeable improvement.
wayne85

Postby rodeddy on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 pm

if you want to get rid of lag and have a car that really goes hard ........ take it to MRT and have ECUTEK installed.
I have no lag and the driveabilty is awesome.... best $1600 i spent.
just my opinion though.. ;)

wayne85 wrote:i would like to eliminate some lag. but thats not my reason for adding a snorkel. i was just hopeful it would help the cause. I already have an egr blank and it has made a noticeable improvement.
rodeddy

Postby viking shippy on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:57 pm

I'd fit a snorkel if you want to do deep water crossings and a egr blank for stoping carbon buildup......and a chip or tune for performance IF you get my drift....
viking shippy

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Or remove the turbo. You would have no lag or power at all!!!
chrisdoherty87

Return to Exterior Mods