Biggest tray size on dual cab?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Biggest tray size on dual cab?

Postby SamGLX on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 am

Howdy fellas!
I've been looking around to swap out the tub on my dual cab for a steel or alloy tray. Been looking around for second hand to keep the cost down.

Wondering if anyone knows what the biggest tray size that'll fit on an ml dual cab is? Found a steel tray off a space cab hilux (I'd get new mounts welded obviously), and wondering if it's be out of the question or not?

Also, any recommendations of places around Canberra to get a tray made, or where would have on second hand? Looking to spend less than 2k if I can get away with it (really, I won't spend anymore than that, I'll just wait for the right thing to come along..)

Cheers fellas!
Be nice, I'm new!

http://www.newtriton.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3768
Stop by my shed, stick your feet up, have a beer!
SamGLX

Re: Biggest tray size on dual cab?

Postby baito on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

A xtra cab tray will require cutting down in length mate, my tray is 1800 long which some on here believe is too long , optimum would be 1650 or 1700 but I wanted the extra room
If you can get a strong aluminium one that's what I would do if I did it again
baito

Postby SamGLX on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 am

The 1800 is long, but the for what I want it for (camping with some off-roading, but not major stuff, and mostly for taking multiple german sheperds everywhere, in a dog cage) it is perfect/the bigger the better.

I found a place that makes a heavy duty alloy tray for 1100, but plus 300 freight.. Seems like a good price, and no issue having to weld new mounts or anything. then again, I haven't really looked around at much brand new.

Is this an okay sorta price?
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby baito on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 am

Yeah that's not bad, there are some advertised on eBay to under dual cab trays
baito

Postby SamGLX on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:38 pm

I spoke to the guy with the alloy one advertised online.

1100 plus 315 freight, same price essentially. Can add window protector mesh for 200 and a ladder rack for 300..

I think I'll pick one of those up, just waiting to hear back from a few wreckers around if they have nothin in, I'll order..!
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby lachiem on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I think there is a maximum length the body can extend past the rear axle.
From memory it came up in discussion about swing away tyre carriers.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1678&p=23904&hilit=length+past+rear+axle#p23904

That's a link to a thread with a fairly decent discussion on the different effects of increased length trays ect.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby SamGLX on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks for that!
Read all of it and was helpful. Gotta be careful with the overall length anyway, don't want to overload and crack/bend chassis due to poor weight distribution.

I've read a formula for the legality of length of ute trays in general, not sure where or what it was, but was more asking for practical experience.

Thanks for the input and help guys.
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby gazman152 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Mine is 1800 long by 1900 wide. I wouldn't go any bigger than that. Some say it's too long but if you're actually using the ute to carry more than a fridge and a swag the size works well. It's all in the loading.
gazman152

Postby SamGLX on Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Very true. Going with 1800x1840; will be able to have a double dog cage on the back, and room for plenty of gear still (not HEAPS, but clearly enough).

Thanks for the advice boys.

Also, did some further reading. Lots of issues loading extra lengt trays and bendig/warping/snapping chassis's in dual cabs, due to the excessive load on the wrong end of he axle. Something for people think about when reading this thread/asking this question!!

Cheers lads
Be nice, I'm new!

SamGLX

Postby tritonmatt76 on Sat May 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Having a 1800 x 1800 Steel tray built at the moment for my recently ordered MY 15 GLX-R, looked at the stealers so called heavy duty alloy variant and immediately said forget it, bloody flimsy stuff.

Anyone had huge issues when loading their triton up with these longish trays? I have seen some poor examples but plan to place my quad bike (1200mm wide) against the headboard across the tray and a dog box across the rear (600mm wide).

Cheers
tritonmatt76

Postby gazman152 on Sat May 10, 2014 7:17 pm

I have a similar sized tray. You won't have a drama loading it that way. I keep the back 500mm of my tray free of heavy stuff most of the time. Standard suspension will suffer with anything other than the standard tub. Ultimate HD springs and shocks cured mine. Forget airbags. As you will read on here they give a false sense of capability.
gazman152

Postby JamoGLXR on Sat May 10, 2014 7:58 pm

mine is steel 1900w x 1550l x 910h
another 100mm length was optional but i was chasing short.. the triton is long enough as it is.
2.26t on the weighbridge
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Return to Exterior Mods