Xrox Front Bar, Modified.

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Postby Bilbo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi guys, Here is another project I've just started. Not sure if it's been done before, couldn't find any info here. If it has I'd love to see some pics.

I'm spacing the wing on my Xrox out by 60mm and adding a rolled bar around my wheel arch to my sliders.

Obviously still in the early stages. The wing and rolled section will be one piece, then clamp on to the slider so that I can still remove either.

Any suggestions, hints or tips would be great.

Cheers Brett.

Click to view larger picture
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Re: Xrox Front Bar, Modified.

Postby macca002 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Looking good.

The amount of body movement the Triton gets put me off doing a similar mod - I was strongly considering it when I was putting together my side steps.

I am interested to see how this goes, might look into it again if you find there is no rub on the bars due to body flex.
macca002

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Now that.......is neat. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Bilbo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:07 pm

macca002 wrote:Looking good.

The amount of body movement the Triton gets put me off doing a similar mod - I was strongly considering it when I was putting together my side steps.

I am interested to see how this goes, might look into it again if you find there is no rub on the bars due to body flex.

I'll have about a 12mm gap between the guard and the bar. Hopefully the body won't flex that much. Worst thing that can happen is it touch the flare.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Bilbo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:09 pm

I'll have about a 12mm gap between the guard and the bar. Hopefully the body won't flex that much. Worst thing that can happen is it touch the flare.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby Juggz on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Solid. I do like it :D
Juggz

Postby macca002 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Might be worth looking at how you can strengthen the xrox wings to take a side impact. Leaning up against the 'scrub bars' would put a bit of weight on the xrox wings, in a way they were not intended.

Without jumping under my 4x4 and taking a look, is it possible to run a brace from the outside corner of the xrox wing back to the cradle? That would strengthen it up a heap.
macca002

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 pm

yeah- but the wings are removable/ replacable

if they bend replace- not sure of the price, but better the wings bend than making too strong and the lean against something bends the mounts for the bar/ chassis
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby salt36 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Bilbo wrote:

Nice work Bill, will look sweet when finished 8-)

I have about 6mm between my scrub bars and my flare, been on for about two years I think ( would have to check my build thread)
Anyway no marks from the bars touching the flares anywhere. Have done some decent off road flexing, wheels in air etc too.
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby macca002 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:15 pm

4wd26 wrote:yeah- but the wings are removable/ replacable

if they bend replace- not sure of the price, but better the wings bend than making too strong and the lean against something bends the mounts for the bar/ chassis

If you were to weld to the cradle, it is before the crumple zone of the bullbar (the wavy bit of the bar/brackets) so shouldn't have any issues with chassis bending.
macca002

Postby Bilbo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 pm

salt36 wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Nice work Bill, will look sweet when finished 8-)

I have about 6mm between my scrub bars and my flare, been on for about two years I think ( would have to check my build thread)
Anyway no marks from the bars touching the flares anywhere. Have done some decent off road flexing, wheels in air etc too.

Thanks for this info, so 12mm gap should be ok.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby brodical on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Where did ya get that tube bent too suit ....looks quite neat mate....I like it....would be good rather than the butt weld onto the xrox but a continuation from the top xrox tube if you catch my drift ....would give it a sleek look....
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby Bilbo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:30 pm

brodical wrote:Where did ya get that tube bent too suit ....looks quite neat mate....I like it....would be good rather than the butt weld onto the xrox but a continuation from the top xrox tube if you catch my drift ....would give it a sleek look....

Yep I know what you mean, and I agree. I had the steel rolled in Lonsdale. I couldn't find any mandrel bends, pre bent or anyone capable of bending a tight enough bend to suit the transition from the top Xrox bar into the brush bar. Hope fully that make sense. Then to match the top join I thought I'd do the same at the bottom or back of the arch to continue the theme.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby har05l on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Very ingenious work there Brett ;)

Stick to your original idea and kiss ;) , wtf would you want to go welding elsewhere is beyond me :roll: it's purpose is a scrub bar isn't it :lol:

At least a bent wing is easy enough to replace if need be ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 pm

har05l wrote:Very ingenious work there Brett ;)

Stick to your original idea and kiss ;) , wtf would you want to go welding elsewhere is beyond me :roll: it's purpose is a scrub bar isn't it :lol:

At least a bent wing is easy enough to replace if need be ;)

Thank you, will see how it progresses over the next week or so. I agree with you though. Keep it simple.
Cheers Brett.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby salt36 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Bilbo wrote:
brodical wrote:Where did ya get that tube bent too suit ....looks quite neat mate....I like it....would be good rather than the butt weld onto the xrox but a continuation from the top xrox tube if you catch my drift ....would give it a sleek look....

Yep I know what you mean, and I agree. I had the steel rolled in Lonsdale. I couldn't find any mandrel bends, pre bent or anyone capable of bending a tight enough bend to suit the transition from the top Xrox bar into the brush bar. Hope fully that make sense. Then to match the top join I thought I'd do the same at the bottom or back of the arch to continue the theme.

Have a look through ratstriton build thread, he made sliders and scrub bars and if memory serves me correctly, he bought some 90Degree bends that were very tight and used them....
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Bilbo on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:28 pm

salt36 wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

Have a look through ratstriton build thread, he made sliders and scrub bars and if memory serves me correctly, he bought some 90Degree bends that were very tight and used them....

I can only find 50mm pre bent 90 degree bends. The Xrox is 48.3mm so the 50mm bends will look too big. I can't find any one who can bend this size tube without creasing or flattening it out.
I picked up some clamps from Opposite Lock to clamp the brush bars to the slider. This will make it easy to remove them if I have too.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby brodical on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm

That's less than a mm each ....I don't think would be noticible if your handy with a grinder and a flapper disc...
brodical

Postby har05l on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:29 pm

Why not contact the xrox manufactures Brett and see if they can help out in supplying the appropriate bends for you ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macca002 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Could you sleeve the clamps out with some zorst pipe to give you the diameter you need? Zorst might be thin enough to make work. Obviously weld the sleeves in after a test fit.
macca002

Postby scema74 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 am

Nice work, great idea, I kind of agree to keep it simple as stated above,
But if you did want to make a blended join you could make a custom plugg.
Start by making a plug for each of the id of the 2 pipes you want to join, then cut and join the two internal plugs at the angle you want them to join at and weld them together.
Now you can slide the 2 pipes together on to the fabricated double ended angled custom adapter plug and secure with through bolts.
It would be a bit of messing around but, it looks great in my head, not sure if the idea in my head has come across into words though.
Like I said it would be a bit of messing around and I probably wouldn't bother to be honest.
Apologies if you just read this scratched your head and said to yourself, there a minute of your life you wont get back. :D
scema74

Postby scema74 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:13 am

Nice work, great idea, I kind of agree to keep it simple as stated above,
But if you did want to make a blended join you could make a custom plugg.
Start by making a plug for each of the id of the 2 pipes you want to join, then cut and join the two internal plugs at the angle you want them to join at and weld them together.
Now you can slide the 2 pipes together on to the fabricated double ended angled custom adapter plug and secure with through bolts.
It would be a bit of messing around but, it looks great in my head, not sure if the idea in my head has come across into words though.
Like I said it would be a bit of messing around and I probably wouldn't bother to be honest.
Apologies if you just read this scratched your head and said to yourself, there a minute of your life you wont get back. :D
scema74

Postby brodical on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:33 am

I no what you mean lol...I think..but it will still look like a butt joint but be removable ..yeah?
brodical

Postby scema74 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 am

Yeah, look like a but join but no weld.
scema74

Postby Bilbo on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:27 pm

Spent a few more hours on the front bar ad brush bars today, just a little tidy up around the bottom or back of the bar and we are all done. The front looks even tougher now being 120mm wider and they feel solid as a rock!

" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Next

Return to Exterior Mods