winch control box

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

winch control box

Postby mrtuaniiex on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:24 pm

gday team,

just picked up myself a mako tds 9.5 with rope 2 days ago and installed it same day (too excited :D )
all went well installing it on an arb deluxe bull bar. only things that i had to mod/ change were the 4 bolts that mount the winch onto the bull bar itself, factory bolts were too short. :(

anyways now to the question..

how did you guys mount the control box onto the bull bar? kit does not come with any bracket

does anyone know where to buy a control box bracket or does any other manufactures bracket will fit the mako tds 9.5

im not to keen on making myself one out of sheet metal (want a clean/ factory look)

any ideas or thoughts of what you guys are using would be much appreciated

cheers,
tuan
mrtuaniiex

Re: winch control box

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:16 am

For a real neat job
Mount the control box/relay behind the grill in the centre out of site..
Relocate the controll plug from the box to be flush on the bar...
For a really clean looking install...
If you do a search I think you will find somebody has already done this and posted pics..
viking shippy

Postby c-dale on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:26 am

Shippy, I have a set up similar to how you have described, just minus the bull bar.

Control box behind grill.
Click to view larger picture

Winch Remote Plug

Overall

Was installed by the guy who made the bar, so how he got it there or how its fixed in place (zip ties I think) i cant really answer. But it has been working well with no issue from water ingress or overheating issues to date.
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mrtuaniiex on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:54 am

thanks for the response guys.

went for a drive to the local 4x4 shop here in brissy and they said when arb sold the bar to me they should have included a bracket for the control box.

im ok with having the box between the spotties because i have an isolator for it. not too sure if i will run it behind the grill because im not to knowledgeable with the bull bar and wiring ect.. :?

when said "clean look" i ment like not made out of bits and peices found the house if you know what i mean haha :lol:

once again thanks for the inputs
mrtuaniiex

Postby viking shippy on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:28 pm

c-dale wrote:Shippy, I have a set up similar to how you have described, just minus the bull bar.

Control box behind grill.

Winch Remote Plug

Overall

Was installed by the guy who made the bar, so how he got it there or how its fixed in place (zip ties I think) i cant really answer. But it has been working well with no issue from water ingress or overheating issues to date.

Looks good cdale

And mrt
Relocating the controll box is a simple case of extending the wiring in exactly the same guage wire and crimps....
viking shippy

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:27 pm

I have a mako 9.5 winch and ARB bar
I actually fitted the control box onto the winch with zip ties and fencing wire, this is hidden behind the bar work, and if you get it right, the winch controller plug points out one of the holes in the bar like it was meant to be like this

If worried about using zip ties, could use bandit or large hose clamps

Check out my build thread for pics of what I mean
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Return to Exterior Mods