Aldi 12,000lb winch install on a ARB deluxe bull bar

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Aldi 12,000lb winch install on a ARB deluxe bull bar

Postby sydneymark on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:35 pm

Thought I would do a write up on my aldi winch install, so here goes... (click on the photos to see them in their full size)

The item in question...
Click to view larger picture

Ok, so wind back a little, Aldi had this little beauty on sale recently, only $400.
Now I never intended to get a winch, but at this price it was irresistible. Some googling suggested its a rebadged tigerz winch, though since I don't have one to compare it with who knows. Overall it gets an ok reputation online, some say it works fine, some say it's rubbish, though most reviews are for a smaller version.

At first I thought the way to go was to take the front main bull bar off, though decided I needed at least three of us to do it, one on each side to hold the bar and one to take the mounting bolts out.

At a friends place, after a few wines and beer we started the winch install.

First up needed to take off a plate under where the winch will go, along with the two side plates that go from the bull bar back to the front of the front wheel arch.

We removed the little locating bolt and another two of the three main adjustment bolts and the bar rotated enough that we could lift up the winch (without the steel cable) up behind the bull bar.
There is a plate between the bar and the body mount that you really dont want to stuff up, hence leaving one bolt in place.

Next was the roller housing, not too hard , used the bottom mounting bolt of the winch, but had to cut away along the bottom part of the bull bar with an angle grinder to make it fit

next issue was how to mount the control box. To be honest the Aldi one didn't look that durable or weatherproof. It wouldn't fit inside the bar with the winch and I didn't want to fit it on the outside on top of the bull bar as some people do, so I looked inside it.

A closer look suggest the box setup and solenoid is fairly simple
A isolator switch to supply power to the box, on the right hand side of the photo
then it's power in and out, two more cables presumably for forward and reverse.
then small control wires for the remote and wireless remote.

So, once you take away the housing, the isolator switch, the wireless remote and the cable control socket, you are left with a simple solenoid which could be mounted anywhere.

I then spent several days agonising on where to place it, in my bonnet there were really only two options, either just in front of or just to the rear of the battery, I decided on the rear since then I could leave out the isolation switch, it being right next to the batter and thus fairly unlikely to short out.

So I fabricated up a mount for the solenoid to attach it to the two holes that were on the fuel filter set-up

this was then fitted.

Next I had to replace the cables since the ones it came with assumed it would be located on or near the actual winch and were way too short.

Looking at the cables they looked a little puny, and some research suggested that this was a common area of weakness in a winch system, so a decision was made to upgrade from the original 4 gauge to 0 gauge, a jump from about 25mm to 50mm in diameter. (about $200)

oh, this involved buying a huge crimper, about $50

Onto the home straight now, just had to connect it all and run the cables from the solenoid to the winch motor, this was orientated with the motor terminals on the left hand side as you face the front the vehicle.

three cable ran between the battery and the fuel filter and one ran between the battery and the engine, I am sure there are other ways but that was how it worked best for me.

The cables ran through the hole by the headlight and cable ties were used to eliminate any movement - not shown.

A test was done to make sure the winch worked, then locktite and/or split washers were applied to all the bolts and nuts along with carbon grease on the connections on the winch motor.

I replaced the steel cable with synthetic Dyneema rope, that was another $140 for 30m

In summary, the $400 aldi winch became a $800 winch, not to mention the hours of thinking about it and actual work involved, I can now see why you can get charged $$$ for installation
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Aldi 12,000lb winch install on a ARB deluxe bull bar

Postby har05l on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:31 am

Good write up and informative for any future winch installers (me included one day :oops: )

Thanks for taking the time and sharing :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:49 am

my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 am

Be very careful with the roller fairlead and Dyneema rope. Only do straight line pulls. It gets caught in the corners and will fray and snap the rope.
biggibbo

Postby sydneymark on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 am

biggibbo wrote:Be very careful with the roller fairlead and Dyneema rope. Only do straight line pulls. It gets caught in the corners and will fray and snap the rope.

don't intend to argue this much, but several synthetic rope providers say rollers are fine as long as they overlap, which I think mine do.
I will be careful with the rope anyway, tbh I hope it never has to get used, it's more insurance
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JoshM on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:49 pm

A mate has one of these on his Troopy. It had been brought and put on the last time they came out at Aldi (couple of years ago). Has worked well and continues to work well. He recently did an 8 month trip and was used multiple times without any issues.
JoshM

Postby Duck on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Nice work. You have to use it now. The biggest killer of winches is not being used. Keep the solenoid clicking & the drum rolling !!
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:17 pm

And if you go through any water, or even experience a heavy downpour whilst driving, make sure you pull it apart to check sealing. Even the expensive brands require annual servicing.
kitemanwest aussie

Postby bundybear75 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:40 am

Duck wrote:Nice work. You have to use it now. The biggest killer of winches is not being used. Keep the solenoid clicking & the drum rolling !!

Plus one.

My first winch was a super cheap 12000lb that only ever got used once in anger. It must of got wet one day as when I went to use it to straighten a fence post it wouldn't work. I later pulled it apart and found the motor had been wet and all the contacts were corroded.

My current winch is a 12000lb roo systems which has done a bit of work. I make a point of powering out then back in every month about 10m of rope to keep every thing moving. This also confirms it's working so when its needed in anger there are no surprises.
bundybear75

Return to Exterior Mods