MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Postby har05l on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Nice work Selwyn.

So what is your opinion on these ??

I'm stumped as the few improvements just don't seem to be enough :roll:

/ No DL on the GLS is very sad, best wait till a few exceeds get written off and swap them over as they will all be unused :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby schem81 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 am

Great report mate. Was anything mentioned about the warranty? And why they dropped the 10 yr drive train to the standard 5yr?
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:11 am

Warranty is the same across the MMA brand

5 years and 100,000kms. That was the reason for the dropping of the 10 year drivetrain apparently.

My opinion, well truthfully I could see myself upgrading to one of these (unlike the MN)

I really liked the 6 speed manual mated with this engine, and it would be a tough choice but I would pick the manual over the auto.

the ergonomics (noise and comfort) are leaps and bounds in front of my ML, and the size of the cabin feels more roomy, but the physical size of the whole vehicle remains smallish, still suitable for my family (getting to teenagers now)

Will see what the accessories/ aftermarket come out with

I'm hopeful to get an opportunity for further testing
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby mIwoo on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 am

When do these actually come on sale?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby Steane on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:05 am

mIwoo wrote:When do these actually come on sale?

Tomorrow / 1st of May
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mickkk on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:02 pm

You should be quite proud of this right up 26. And I think mma made a wise move inviting a representive along from the forum.
I wasn't really that interested in the new release, but we do have to upgrade the family car soon, and for tax reasons there is advantages in getting a dual cab ute. Would probably keep it as more of a car and get use of standard suspensions, tyres, warranty etc. And then when my ml gets a little tired, or I get tired of it I will flog it off and steal her car haha.
If they are doing top of the line auto tritons for sub $55k then I would be very interested.... To the point that I will be heading to my local dealer very soon. That is what people were paying for top of the range auto ml tritons ten years ago.

As I said I will be heading for a closer look, but I'm interested in a few things you may have noticed but didn't quite make the final edit. When looking behind the rear seats did you notice 3 child seat anchor points. Also with the exceed you mention electric seats, did you notice any presets you can set for different drivers? Not major, but being 110 kg 6 foot fella and having a 37 kg 4"10" missus it would be a nice addition. Email seem a tad silly, but with electric seats, when you can not even fit in the seat, standing next to your car with the door open slowly sliding the seat back in the middle of the wet season may get old quick.

Cheers for your current replys do far.
mickkk

Postby mickkk on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Just stopped into the dealer, was impressed to see we actually had one on the floor. Went in and asked about it, and they didn't have a clue about it. Asked about prices and they had no idea, they tried googling it and still come up empty handed, they said they should know more in a week or so :shock: :shock: .
Couldn't even take it for a drive as the lady that logs the cars into the system is of for a week or so. Bloody crazy.
Had a look around, they only had the glx base model. Still only 2 child seat points. Probably by the time I get one the oldest one wouldn't need a seat that is anchored in.
The drivers seat was impressive how far it went back, I normally get in and slide the seat right back. I did this and couldn't reach the pedals. I would say it would be comfortable for blokes up to 6"6 or so easly. Move it right forward to see if my little wife would fit, and at 4"10 she should be quite comfortable.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
mickkk

MQ Triton MY16 trip report new model launch/ review

Postby Crash486 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Informed reporting. I think they should give you a vehicle for 6 months so you can continue the review.
We all have lots of questions specific to how we use our vehicles so I think a longer term review would be massively helpful.
I read the journalist's reviews and would have said no to the MQ. Your review changed my mind as I know it's an informed review from someone who can honestly compare the Triton with other dual cabs.
I'd still like to have heated mirrors and a few options that are standard on suv's these days but I'd go to the showroom for a test drive now for sure.
Thanks for your effort, much appreciated.
Crash486

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:55 pm

I've just been down to the local mitsi and had a look at the MQ in GLS guise.

Size wise they are pretty much the same as what we drive now. Inside the cabin is a little better refined and if you were to come from another manufacturer you'd be impressed but for the triton knowing it all looks very familiar. The seats are comfy under the ass and for those long trips you'll be fighting trying not to go on the nod :lol: and enough room to swing a cat. Behind the rear seat without the wind down window there is ample room to store recovery gear or a small human if need be :twisted: :lol:

1st impressions are it is a good looking ute and I guess with the competitive price it should perform well in sales. It's a shame whilst testing that a vehicle hooked up to a camper or some form of load wasn't available as this is my main gripe these days.

I was not able to drive until tomorrow unfortunately but I will return and give it a go.

Selwyn, I did notice that this particular ute only had a 3.6 diff ratio :? . Do you know why :?: if this is going to be the case it'll be very disappointing :roll:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:01 pm

The Gls should have 3.9, but I admit that I didn't open all the bonnets of all the variants and check, only the exceed
Same with checking the stickers on the diffs, only the Gls and exceed

Interesting one for members to report back on?

Wonder if it is different auto to manual?
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Was a 6 speed manual that I looked over so defiantly a GLS as I climbed all over and under it :lol: .Had the 2.4 ltr under the bonnet which was nice to see.

Shame the dealers don't get the opportunity to learn about new release vehicles. The young guy I was talking to knows more now than he did this morning :lol:

Should also note that those interested in looking the bonnet latch release is on the drivers kick panel now, I couldn't find the thing :oops: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:21 pm

On the club can I drove first the latch was missing
Only after I complained about hiding what is under the bonnet from nosey persons was it explained that the club cab CHASSIS with tray didn't have a fuel release and was pointed to the bonnet releaseoops......
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby aids84 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:21 pm

Manuals have 3.6 diff ratios while autos get 3.9 as per the MN manuals.

I did the Mitsubishi tech training on the MQ yesterday and am excited to see how the new models fares over the next few months.

Not too keen on the dual mass flywheel, as I have seen other manufacturers give them a try and then revert back to single mass. DPF is also something that can be problematic, especially for people who don't do a lot of open road driving.

No more power rear window in the upper models either (funny the new Navara will have one, albeit a lot narrower than the MN's)
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mIwoo on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:07 pm

aids84 wrote:Manuals have 3.6 diff ratios while autos get 3.9 as per the MN manuals.

I did the Mitsubishi tech training on the MQ yesterday and am excited to see how the new models fares over the next few months.

Not too keen on the dual mass flywheel, as I have seen other manufacturers give them a try and then revert back to single mass. DPF is also something that can be problematic, especially for people who don't do a lot of open road driving.

No more power rear window in the upper models either (funny the new Navara will have one, albeit a lot narrower than the MN's)

Is the 3.6's just apply to the glx model or is it right across the board?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby ag9111 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Some dumb arse comment has been removed :oops:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:03 pm

mIwoo wrote:Is the 3.6's just apply to the glx model or is it right across the board?

Seems to be across the board. It also doesn't look like there are different engine output levels as per MN, same 133kw/430Nm across the 2wd/4wd range and for auto/manual. May not be 100% correct but that is going off the spec sheets given to us.

Transfer case is different, with a planetary gearset, so no swapping the 2.566 low range gears into the earlier models :cry:

EDIT: Oh and the diff lock is now electro-magnet engaged, no more air lines.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby diver albie on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:55 pm

Sorry but I think that's one fugly ute.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby jrs184 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Was any info posted on expected cost of DPF ('mounted close to the motor') in this new MQ, hope it is not of the order of 8 to 11 grand as others are offering...or is it better able to reburn etc.
jrs184

Postby bodia on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:21 pm

mickkk mn triton only had two points but you can get third installed for about $150 so I'd imagine same with the new model, Mitsubishi can actually organise it (well the ones in Perth could) but I'd imagine it was more. Only the electric window version couldn't get the extra restraint fitted...
bodia

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 pm

I thought the newer MNs were coming with ISOFIX built into the rear seats? If so wouldn't you expect them to do the same with these? They're pretty easy to miss if you don't know what you're looking for and I'm not sure if anyone is selling child seats with that sort of mounting as yet (last time I bought a child seat was 6 years ago so I'm behind the times).
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby bodia on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:12 pm

Is that the metal brackets in the back seat? if so always wondered what they were.. I had a 2011 that I got 3rd restraint installed and now have a 2014 but only need two now..
bodia

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Yeah there's usually some sort of cover over the front of them. In my subaru they had little square covers. There's a pic here of another style http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isofix
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby yakfishdave on Fri May 01, 2015 5:49 pm

Great report, thanks 4wd26. Pity about the tub being slightly smaller as I was thinking if I trade up I'd swap my schmik Carry Boy canopy over, on the other hand though, sounds like the auto version wont have less torque like the MN so I might consider the slush box.
yakfishdave

Postby mIwoo on Fri May 01, 2015 6:17 pm

I had a look at the new triton today. It was parked right next to a MN. Very much the same size. My first thoughts were that it looks like a facelifted MN, despite knowing (thanks to 4wd26) its not. Very similar in dimensions. I liked the shorter tray length, J design and frontal design. The most obvious thing when you directly compare the 2 is the maximised space inside..... it is quite evident, looks promising. I don't like the sharp ridge going along the length of the ute at all. It looked plain and good, but didn't get me excited TBH. But thats just me.
mIwoo

Postby FreestyleCab on Fri May 01, 2015 10:23 pm

I looked at the Mitsubishi website tonight and I was a little dismayed that there is no mid spec extra cab available. My next ute may be an extra cab chassis and I feel there must be demand for one that has a few bells and whistles and not just a povo pack.
Brett
FreestyleCab

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion