MQ Passenger side seat and seatbelt rattle

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: MQ GLS Pasenger side seatbelt rattle

Postby murdochs on Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Have the same thing. Motorama told me
A fix for the seat rattle was released at the foremans meeting last week, we should have final fix notification this week.
murdochs

Postby Tasc4life on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:45 pm

murdochs wrote:Have the same thing. Motorama told me
A fix for the seat rattle was released at the foremans meeting last week, we should have final fix notification this week.

Very interested in finding out a solution to this! Well, my wife is lol! Although, I do feel it through the centre console when resting the arm on it and hear it whenever something is on the seat (plastic or paper bag ect)!

Nothing seems to change it either, I have tried weight on the seat, the floor, the rear, altered pressures, high and low, front and back and the seat still rattles on the bumps on my test road!

If anyone hears anything could they please pass it on asap! Much appreciated [THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby samsav on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Here is how the conversation went with Mitsubishi Head Office regarding the passenger seatbelt rattle..

Mitsubishi:
"Unfortunately its a characteristic of the car."

Me:
"Ok, so you deliberately designed it so the seat belt can rattle and annoy me?"

Mitsubishi:
"No, that's not correct"

Me:
"So if you designed it not rattle and it does, does that not mean it's faulty?"

Mitsubishi Head Office:
"I can't answer that question"
samsav

Postby sjf09 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:09 pm

I've been through all that!!!
The worst is the patronising statements that they make. I was told I was trying to hear it!?!?
It's not so much the seatbelt rattling. It's the seat that is rattling, that is hitting the buckle.
Normal characteristics of the MQ, its embarrassing!
sjf09

Postby ufc1972 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:11 pm

My MQ exceed does the same. I have a good solution through. The shaking reminds me of head shake on a motorbike. All we need to do is attached some quality motorbike steering dampeners. Would work great. :lol:

Seriously though Mitsubishi should be really embarrassed by this problem. Yes its a ute but its also 2016.
ufc1972

Postby Daz74 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Does anyone with a lift kit still have this happen? Or is it just on stock suspension when it occurs. I get it even on some bitumen roads which is ridiculous and plan to install a lift soonish which hopefully gets rid of it.
Daz74

Postby Tasc4life on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:13 am

Daz74 wrote:Does anyone with a lift kit still have this happen? Or is it just on stock suspension when it occurs. I get it even on some bitumen roads which is ridiculous and plan to install a lift soonish which hopefully gets rid of it.

I have a 2inch lift, still have the issue. It drives me crazy! I have ironman constant load in front to deal with Bullbar, winch ect and outback armour trail Springs in the rear. The passenger seat shakes like crazy, it's more like a shudder, and I can feel it through the steering wheel.

I raised some issues early on with Mitsubishi (not belt or seat specifically, but the knock in the back end which turned out to be the leafs) at 15, 000 service. They 'mis' diagnosed my knock in the rear as the passenger seat belt, which the report showed they fixed the issue by 'adjusting the seat belt'.

No idea what they done... I'm reluctant to return until a fix is sorted as I don't want to hear how it's the lift that caused it, the bigger tyres, the centre bearing flip or the heavy duty suspension in front ect, that is causing the issue!

I've seriously considered removing the constant load spring and the ironman foam cell shocks (as they are stiffer than the nitro gas) but still want to add a bash plate and another light bar so the stiffness/shaking/shuddering may subside once I add all the extra weight to the front!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:14 am

Do like me in the ml, leave a few loose coins in the drink holders and ash tray, topped off with the tow hitch and the seat, etc won't be too noticeable. :lol:

More seriously, the 'dog dick' on some models suggests mitsi had some resonance issues during production.

Might need a damping mass on the floor in the seat area.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

FIXED MQ GLS Pasenger side and rear seatbelt rattle

Postby Dilligara on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 am

Fixed the rattle. Got a couple of pieces of non slip matting about 100mm by 100 mm and stuck them to the hard plastic in the passenger B and both C pillars with double sided mounting tape. Cant notice the pads at all and no more annoying metal on hard plastic rattle noise.
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:44 am

I did similar, thin strip of foam fixed rattle - regardless of how/where buckle returns to or passenger lets it return.
But...as mentioned by others in previous post's there was a fix to the seat rattle brought up in the foreman's meeting around Nov2016.
Had the 1500 service done few months back my dealer said didn't know anything about it & had no complaint's about it. :roll:
When back again few months ago for another issue they said MM were looking into a counterweight in headrest and/or weights at the seat mounting...and nothing since.
Interested in any updates or experiences others have had recently with dealers about this ?
Don’t take life so seriously, it isn’t permanent
Ray57MQ

MQ Seat Shake & Belt

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 am

Sorry Chris, realise this has been raised in several other topics but thought time for any new experiences with service depts.

For me, just had another scheduled service and asked yet again has MML got the fix yet (on several visits since buying last yr they said MML looking into it) so far I've been fed the following.
dealer said first they've heard about it, talk to dealer that's their responsibility, dealer said oh they all do that , MML said speak to dealer as they know about a temporary fix, dealer said what ya talking bout ? , yes a fix was available but doesn't fix the problem, and as of last week dealer not aware of any fix.
Tried low/hi tyre pressures, weight in back etc but the general vehicle vibration/shake still there.
Yes small trivial matter but pain in the arse for a brand new vehicle, but looks like they are hoping the whining will just go away. I'm hoping when $$ available ultimate suspension reduces vibration and fixes/reduces the seat shake and belt rattle.
In the meantime, didn't want to stick foam on the pillar so pull the belt over headrest or insert the belt - also might do some UBER work in spare time to fill the seat and put towards new suspension :lol:

Interested in what others have been fed from the dealers ?
Ray57MQ

Re: MQ Passenger side seat and seatbelt rattle

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 am

:lol: Ok, I looked at separating the seat rattle and the seat belt rattle but without decimating the threads that really isn't possible. So merged here to keep it all together. Other random posts in various threads as well but not worth merging those. I've also amended and corrected the title of this thread, after realising that there was a reason that I was not getting the search result I wanted using "ss" in passenger.

So this is it, chaps - the 'official' MQ passenger seat and seat belt rattle, shake, vibration thread. Note clever use of keywords there to aid future searches?

I know that the seat belt rattling against the B pillar used to to drive me insane in the ML and, to a lesser extent in the Paj. I can happily now report that, just yesterday, I watched my missus release her seat belt and guide it back into its correct hanging position. It's been a 10 year training exercise, but I've finally won.

For you MQ owners, I sympathise, but feel confident that someone will come up with a solution......although Uber came as a bit left field. :?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Ray57MQ on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

thanks Chris.
Ray57MQ

Postby Harddrive on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:56 pm

I lifted the buckle up by about 75mm and installed another seat belt stopper. It now sits up clear of the B pillar.
Unless you are a ultra skinny person it does not effect anything. The stopper only a requires a small hole in the belt that I installed with a hot wire. The stopper clips together.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-10 ... 489cd4bef6
Harddrive

Postby gls2017 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Wife was complaining about this today about our new Triton and I'm surprised it's actually an issue.
I will look at covering the plastic pillars or something similar to what others have tried here.

9000k's and a squeak in back suspension along with the seat belt rattle is all we can fault atm.
gls2017

Postby Ray57MQ on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 pm

You (as I did) will get sick and tired of telling users to take up belt slack and returning the belt buckle to it's place...but even then it slowly drops until it rattles again so...
If you don't want to modify it or stick foam etc on the plastic pillar trim...just turn the belt buckle around and it slips down tight in behind trim, been doing this on mine for while now and no rattles :)
As for the leafspring squeaks, been using silicone spray and redo every few weeks. :roll:
Ray57MQ

Postby Genebaby on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:45 pm

So guys, is there any fix/solution to the seat itself moving and thumping when you are driving without a passenger.

We only got our car yesterday and I noticed it big time this morning. Need to ask my daughter how it feels when she is sitting in it, but this can't keep going on, it's ruining the whole experience of driving the car.
Genebaby

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Yep I’m interested myself as just received a mq as a company work hack. Driving 100kms every day on rough fast dirt is driving me a bit batty with the seat moving like it is about to detach from the car.
My ml with 200,000kms makes less noise
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Crash486 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm

A solution probably involves the Aussie staples - occy strap and / or duct tape.

crash486
Crash486

Postby Genebaby on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:44 am

I mentioned the issue at the first service and they acted like it was a new thing, ha ha.

Of course nothing was done but I was told the long awaited fix from Mitsubishi is coming.

I fear it may not be the seat at fault, but other underlying factors, but we'll see what happens.
Genebaby

Postby Ray57MQ on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Crash486 wrote:A solution probably involves the Aussie staples - occy strap and / or duct tape.
crash486

My dog rides shotgun sometimes and I think he loves the seat shaking & vibration...
But that might be because of his big nuts :lol:
Ray57MQ

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:30 am

Is it the seat loose in the rails or is that part of the floor like a spring board?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ray57MQ on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:16 pm

I think it's the whole design of the seat/frame & obviously reacting to the pisspoor suspension.

Been across several grades of different corrugated roads and sometimes all it takes is my finger touching the headrest and stops but other times shakes the bejesus out of it and put that down to higher outside temp affecting tyre pressure/shocks and subsequent ride ??

Last response I got from dealer mechanic was MM going to put counterweight in seat/headrest.
But think load of BS :roll: ...my four legged 45kg counterweight does stuff all to the shake, except enjoy it.
Ray57MQ

Postby Crash486 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:35 am

Ray57MQ wrote:I think it's the whole design of the seat/frame & obviously reacting to the pisspoor suspension.

Been across several grades of different corrugated roads and sometimes all it takes is my finger touching the headrest and stops but other times shakes the bejesus out of it and put that down to higher outside temp affecting tyre pressure/shocks and subsequent ride ??

Last response I got from dealer mechanic was MM going to put counterweight in seat/headrest.
But think load of BS :roll: ...my four legged 45kg counterweight does stuff all to the shake, except enjoy it.
Maybe they've found another use for the damper that hangs off the diff?

crash486
Crash486

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 am

Well, that 'dog dick' on the diff was probably a solution by the boffins to something totally unrelated to the drive train.

The ongoing quest for weight reduction and cost reduction is eventually going to have consequences.

A couple of steel channels mounted under the floor ( through bolted) under the front seats would seem the logical solution.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion