MQ UHF placement

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ UHF placement

Postby dan40d on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:45 am

Hi all, long time no talk.
Traded the PB challenger on a new MQ GLS (deals ATM were to good to refuse) that we are picking up next week, has anyone come up with a sensible place to mount a UHF yet without hacking up the dash?

UHF I have is a full sized single DIN unit Icom 400. Am I better off flogging this off and getting one of the small hideaway units with the controls on the unit?

Cheers,
Dan
Dan.
PB Challenger.
dan40d

Re: MQ UHF placement

Postby Jimboz on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 pm

That's what I have done Dan, it's bad enough finding a spot for the mike!!! Jim
Jimboz

Postby dan40d on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks Jim, thought as much.
Dan.
PB Challenger.
dan40d

Postby Merts on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 pm

I had a look at the possibility of putting a din unit in the dash and decided it all looked way too difficult. I will be putting in a uniden 8080s in the next couple of weeks.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kshep89 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah I agree, I had an older remote head style uniden that just packed it in which I had mounted in front of the gear stick (just the head) in the sill there. I just had it screwed into the removable "shelf" (GLS). For the mic hanger I made a 90 degree bracket and screwed it from underneath in the same sill, the mic sits just in front on the gear knob when in Reverse gear in a 6 speed, with the curly cord doing an clockwise lap around the gear stick. And because the MQ has even less room under the dash than the previous models I just put the rest of the unit in the centre console and have a remote speaker under the drivers seat.

The other day I replaced it with an 8080s and use the same mic hanger but the rest is in the centre console still (you will need to drill a hole in the bottom of it for the aerial and mic cables). The mic extension cable runs from there underneath along the drivers side of the centre console /cup holders etc and the joins the curly cord on the rhs of the same sill, cord goes around gear stick as before. Let me know if you want any pics.
kshep89

Postby dan40d on Sun May 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks kshep, that all makes sense, good idea.
Dan.
PB Challenger.
dan40d

Postby Samy on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Hey Guys,

Looking at installing a UHF in my MQ Exceed. Was looking for some advice / instruction on how to remove the centre console. I was thinking of mounting the unit inside the centre console and drawing power from the 12v lighter plug inside the console.

Cheers,

Samy
Samy

Postby kshep89 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Open up the centre console and remove the carpet in the bottom, there's a couple of bolts in the bottom. After that it should all slide backwards once you unclip it from the front, near the gear stick. There might be a couple of clips along the sides too, I can't remember for sure, but if so you can pop them out carefully with a screwdriver.
kshep89

Postby trtkjd1 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:59 pm

Couldn't find a decent place,for mine,ended up mounting mine under the drivers seat,with the hand piece next to the seat on drivers side. Far from perfect but as am on channel 40 99 percent of the time it will do.
trtkjd1

Postby striker99 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:48 pm

There is a few places that sell those Overhead consoles for the MQ, i feel like it would be a struggle to install the cabling for the radio due to the side/curtain airbags? Might be possible to find an auto elec who would install it?

http://www.4wdinteriors.com/roof-console-rctrmq/
striker99

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:08 pm

The roof consoles are a very cool, but expensive way to mount the UHF. I have one in the Pajero.

If you remove the cover over the inside of the A pillar there is space to run cabling behind and away from the airbag. Just need to be careful. You can drop the roof lining just a bit to use a piece of wire to feed the cabling across. Again, not difficult but need to be careful you don't crease it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby explorer.dave on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:33 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:The roof consoles are a very cool, but expensive way to mount the UHF. I have one in the Pajero.

If you remove the cover over the inside of the A pillar there is space to run cabling behind and away from the airbag. Just need to be careful. You can drop the roof lining just a bit to use a piece of wire to feed the cabling across. Again, not difficult but need to be careful you don't crease it.

I was thinking that yesterday Chris, I mounted mine (MN) in a Department of the interior roof console, very neat, went to their site yesterday but they haven't yet got a console for the MQ (well, none listed). If they do get around to it I highly recommend.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:05 pm

At least they're a padded unit and seem to come in a colour that vaguely matches the interior. The 4WDInteriors ones are nicely injection moulded plastic but the colour is a horrible brownish grey that matches nothing. They'd need painting before installation, especially if the interior is a light colour like the Pajero or MQ.

Click to view larger picture

The other thing to be aware of is that, in the Triton, they hang a bit low, so can be a head hitting hazard. No dramas in the Paj with the extra headroom.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby chappy60 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:26 am

Just had my uhf fitted and it was put behind the glove box controls in the handpiece
and that was placed lhs control knobs
chappy60

Return to General Discussion